Thread: Felon out of Ms, Domestic out of alabama HELP! need advice or information

Felon out of Ms, Domestic out of alabama HELP! need advice or information

I'm a 27 year old rehabilitated by Christ, God fearing, law abiding man with a 4 year old son. I am terrified at where this country is going. I was convicted about 3 or 4 years ago of domestic violence and 7 years ago of possession of a controlled substance. my sons mother came at me (while i had my son in one arm, and my other was broken, in a cast that came up to my elbow) and i tried to get out of the situation, but ended up getting arrested (when i had more marks on me, she didn't have any). i have since been found to be the better primary parent for my son(by the court), and have been running my own business while I'm in school. i need... NEED to get my rights restored in alabama. i think they have been in mississippi, its just this domestic 3rd I'm worried about. can anyone please help me... give me some advice as to where to start. oh, also during the domestic court case they offered me if i pled guilty, they would take it off of my record after a year (stupid me... hindsight is worth a fortune). she attacked me, and slammed my son's head on the side of a table, i was not going to say i did anything i didn't do. anyways I'm desperate. I'm about to send my stuff off the the FBI background check people to see what all i need to take care of. PS. i pray that you would not judge me because of this. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Find the best attorney that you can't afford. They will be the only ones to be able to help you.

www.bramerlaw.com/firearms/

http://www.simmsandassociates.com/Pr...on-lawyer.html
    What he said above!

Banned
    27 and already rehabilitated? what charge knocked out your gun rights?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    27 and already rehabilitated? what charge knocked out your gun rights?
    i was heavy into cocaine and oxy contin's.... i got caught in mississippi with 1/8 of a gram of coke...(the size of the nail on your pinkie) i did my time, paid my money,didn't violate at all while i was on probation. i think i can get this pardoned, but my domestic violence charge (as summarized on the original post) is going to be tricky. i've got people that can write and vouch for me as far as me being nothing like the person i was. before the DV III case the court's offered me, if i plead guilty, expungement after a year. i've got facebook posts that make my ex look like a violent hateful person. i have custody of my son (i obtained custody AFTER all this happened). if i can raise a child by myself, i feel like the judge would take that into consideration. have yall heard of them saying like "if your good for another 5 years, i'll give you your rights back?" does that happen? all i can say is, God is good, no matter what happens

It might be a long shot for you since you're in AL, he's in GA, this happened in MS and he's not licensed to practice in AL (rules are different in federal court though) but you might talk to John Monroe. He's the lawyer for and VP of Georgia Carry. He's won several gun rights cases and/or constitutional rights violations cases against ATL and the state of GA. He might can help you.

Leave AL. AL doesn't have any form of expungement. A pardon is considered to be the same as an admission of guilt.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    Leave AL. AL doesn't have any form of expungement. A pardon is considered to be the same as an admission of guilt.
    Can I ask how you have come to the conclusion that a pardon is in effect admitting guilt? A pardon can only come from the governor, so how does the governor rescinding your conviction correlate to admitting guilt?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Can I ask how you have come to the conclusion that a pardon is in effect admitting guilt? A pardon can only come from the governor, so how does the governor rescinding your conviction correlate to admitting guilt?
    I don't know about you main question, but in Alabama our pardons come not from the Governor, but from a separate Board of Pardons and Paroles. We also have no provision in our laws to expunge a criminal conviction or restore rights, and it's the conviction that removes your gun rights in Alabama.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I read it somewhere in a book on-line; pretty sure it was a case.

I don't remember a governor's pardon being mentioned, but I believe the case had something to do with the restoral of gun rights to a person pardoned.

Now that I think about it, I'm even more sure it was an AGO. I think one of Graddick's. (He was particularly proficient at opinionating.)
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Cody, you might try to talk with a poster over on the ALOC/AGR site that goes by the name OCAttorney, he might be able to help you. http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php

Good luck!