• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bb

ALOC1911

It might be a long shot for you since you're in AL, he's in GA, this happened in MS and he's not licensed to practice in AL (rules are different in federal court though) but you might talk to John Monroe. He's the lawyer for and VP of Georgia Carry. He's won several gun rights cases and/or constitutional rights violations cases against ATL and the state of GA. He might can help you.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Leave AL. AL doesn't have any form of expungement. A pardon is considered to be the same as an admission of guilt.

Can I ask how you have come to the conclusion that a pardon is in effect admitting guilt? A pardon can only come from the governor, so how does the governor rescinding your conviction correlate to admitting guilt?

Brimstone Baritone

Can I ask how you have come to the conclusion that a pardon is in effect admitting guilt? A pardon can only come from the governor, so how does the governor rescinding your conviction correlate to admitting guilt?

I don't know about you main question, but in Alabama our pardons come not from the Governor, but from a separate Board of Pardons and Paroles. We also have no provision in our laws to expunge a criminal conviction or restore rights, and it's the conviction that removes your gun rights in Alabama.

Kirbinator

I read it somewhere in a book on-line; pretty sure it was a case.

I don't remember a governor's pardon being mentioned, but I believe the case had something to do with the restoral of gun rights to a person pardoned.

Now that I think about it, I'm even more sure it was an AGO. I think one of Graddick's. (He was particularly proficient at opinionating.)