• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orono OC Picnic-Guaging Interest

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please cite statute. Can't find anything banning firearms in the Capital area. I see schools, posted liquor establishments, strike sites, jails and court houses.

Note that non-related sections have been snipped, therefore there will be numbered/lettered sections missing.

16-219 DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

BUREAU OF CAPITOL SECURITY

CHAPTER 41 Capitol Area Security Rules

1. Definitions

The following words and phrases, when used in these regulations, shall have the following meanings, unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context:

A. "Capitol Area" when used in these regulations shall mean the land, building, personal property and facilities owned, leased, occupied, used or possessed by the State in or at:

(1) The Capitol Area described in I M.R.S.A., Section 814, and

(2) The District Court Building on State Street, and

(3) The State Police Barracks and Garage on Hospital Street, and

(4) Blaine House Complex, and

(5) Blaine Memorial, and

(6) The Augusta Mental Health Institute Complex, and

(7) ANY OTHER STATE CONTROLLED LOCATIONS, WHETHER ITS OWNED, LEASED, OR JUST USED BY THE STATE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF AUGUSTA, MAINE.

E. "Police Officer" every sworn officer of the Bureau of Capitol Security or any law enforcement officer authorized to issue process for civil or criminal violations.

2. Regulations

A. The COMMISSIONER OF PUBLIC SAFETY is empowered to close, secure and limit access to all or a portion of the Capitol Area at stated times during hours when the state offices are closed, or, without prior notice, at any other time should a situation develop wherein all or a portion of the Capitol Area becomes jeopardized by the actions of any person or persons.

B. No person shall cause or participate in a demonstration of any nature in the Capitol Area unless written permission for such demonstration has been obtained from the COMMISSIONER OF PUBLIC SAFETY or his Designee. An application, in writing setting forth information as may be required, is necessary prior to the granting of any permit.

C. No person shall cause injury or damage to the trees, shrubbery or flowers in the Capitol Area, or damage, mar or deface the buildings, personal property or facilities thereon in any way.

F. No person, except a police officer on duty, shall carry firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives, incendiary devices, or implements which by their nature are capable of being used to destroy or injure a person or property in the Capitol Area.

J. No person shall solicit, give away, canvass, sell or offer for sale items or materials or make collections for past or current obligations in the Capitol Area without written authorization from the Bureau of Capitol security.

M. Persons or organizations seeking to use a designated portion of the Capitol Area must obtain a written permit by applying, in writing, to the COMMISSIONER OF PUBLIC SAFETY or his designee, and specifying the use intended and the persons responsible for the supervision of the activity.

3. Penalties

Any person found guilty of violating any of these regulations shall, upon conviction, be punished as provided in Revised Statutes, Title 25, Section 2910.

AUTHORITY: 25 M.R.S.A., Section 2904

EFFECTIVE DATE: June 11, 1979 (Filed 7-31-79)

AMENDED: October 15, 1980
January 11, 1988
July 3, 1988

EFFECTIVE DATE (ELECTRONIC CONVERSION): MAY 15, 1996

SPOProds

I spelt Capitol "capital", that was my problem. Thanks Grape!

So the question is does Mill Park fall in this area? From what I can tell playing "trace the streets" on google maps Mill Park is outside the Capitol Area. I'll break out a map and try to hihglight the Caiptol Area boundaries.(Mighy make a good sticky afterwards)

2. Capitol Area defined. The Capitol Area is defined as the following described premises:
A. The west side of Kennebec River as follows: Beginning at the intersection of the easterly line of Florence Street with the northerly line of Capitol Street; thence easterly along said northerly line of Capitol Street to a point of 150 feet westerly of the intersection of the westerly line of Federal Street projected northerly across said Capitol Street and said northerly line of Capitol Street; thence southerly and parallel to said westerly line of Federal Street about 800 feet to Kennedy Brook; thence following the thread of the stream generally easterly to its intersection with the northerly property line of the land of the State of Maine, being part of the Motor Vehicles premises; thence westerly about 60 feet along said property line; thence southerly along said property line about 155 feet; thence easterly along said property line about 140 feet; thence southerly along said property line about 120 feet to the northerly line of Manley Street; thence diagonally and southwesterly across Manley Street to its intersection with the northwesterly corner of other land of the State of Maine; thence southerly along said property line extended to the northerly line of Glenwood Street; thence along said Glenwood Street easterly to the westerly line of State Street; thence northerly along said State Street about 150 feet to a point opposite the northerly line of Britt Street; thence across State Street and along the northerly line of said Britt Street easterly to its intersection with property of Augusta Sanitary District; thence northerly and easterly as said property line may run to its intersection with the Kennebec River; thence along said river northerly as the same may run to its intersection with the southerly line of Highway Route 201; thence southwesterly along said highway line, as the same may run, to the easterly line of State Street at its intersection with Memorial Traffic Circle; thence across State Street in a northwesterly direction to the southeasterly line of Grove Street at its intersection with Memorial Traffic Circle; thence southwesterly along said Grove Street to the northerly line of Higgins Street; thence across Grove Street; thence southerly along Grove Street to its intersection with the northerly line of Wade Street; thence westerly about 400 feet in a straight line along Wade Street and its northerly line extended to the westerly line of Sewall Street; thence southerly along Sewall Street to the northerly line of Wade Street where it intersects the westerly line of Sewall Street; thence westerly along the northerly line of Wade Street and thence continuing in a straight line westerly and parallel to Capitol Street to the easterly line of Florence Street; thence southerly along Florence Street to the point of beginning; and [1991, c. 824, Pt. A, §1 (NEW).]
B. The east side of the Kennebec River as follows: Beginning at a point at the intersection of the northerly line of the Old Arsenal Grounds with the westerly line of Hospital Street; thence westerly along said northerly line of the Old Arsenal Grounds 1,680 feet to a point at the Kennebec River; thence following the river generally southwesterly to a point where a projected northeasterly line of Kelton Road would meet the river, being a point 2,185 feet, more or less, from the intersection of said road and the northwesterly line of Hospital Street; thence southeasterly to and along the projected northwesterly line of Kelton Road from the river to a point on the southwest corner of the lands of the Augusta Sanitary District 564.19 feet, more or less, from the intersection of Kelton Road and Hospital Street; thence northeasterly at an interior angle of 89` 20' a distance of 84.88 feet to a point; thence southeasterly at an interior angle of 90` a distance of 76.09 feet to a point; thence northeasterly at an interior angle of 270` a distance of 98.74 feet to a point; thence at an interior angle of 90` 20' a distance of 212.8 feet, more or less, on a line bearing S 61` 20' E to a point; thence southwesterly at an interior angle of 90` a distance of 36.06 feet, more or less, to a point on the northerly line of the Augusta Sanitary District property; thence in an easterly direction at an angle 90` and a distance of 128.42 feet, more or less, to a point; thence in a northerly direction at an angle of 90` a distance of 73 feet to a point; thence in an easterly direction at an angle of 90` and a distance of 143 feet, more or less, to a point on the westerly line of Hospital Street; thence northeasterly along the westerly line of Hospital Street 3,125 feet to a point on the southeast corner of the lands of the City of Augusta; thence westerly at right angle 185 feet to a point; thence southerly at right angle 25 feet to a point; thence westerly at right angle 115 feet to a point; thence northerly at right angle 140 feet to a point; thence easterly at right angle 115 feet to a point; thence northerly at right angle 20 feet to a stone bound; thence easterly at right angle 185 feet to the westerly line of Hospital Street; thence northerly along the westerly line of Hospital Street 380 feet, more or less, to the point of beginning.

Last edited:

Marcus92183

kind of far

for those of us in southern maine that is quite a long haul, maybe something in l/a or portland area i would be interested in attending just cant see driving 3 hours for it. I know there is a decent park at one of the lewiston auburn bridges where they do alot of festivities for the cities.

SPOProds

I got busy and had some personal stuff to take of. So outside is probably fracked now.

Anyone down for a night out? Burgers or pizzas? Maybe some bowling? :cool:

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2