Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for open carry

Holster for open carry

Does the holster have to have a retention system for OCing? I have a Fobus HK1 holster that sorta retains the pistol, what i mean by that is that it will stay in place you can even turn it upside down and shake it, but shake it to hard pistol will come out. Is it LEGAl for me to carry my firearm in this holster when OCing?

Thanks a lot guys!!
    Bryan
    Last edited by bp231986; 08-19-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine.
    Uhm, want to cite such a law? I have read every state gun law on the books for MO, most of them more than five times and have never seen such a thing and I have read a great many city ordinances as well never noting anything of the like.

To my knowledge, you can duct tape it to your leg if you want and it remains legal, you can even carry it in your hand, the only problem with carrying it in your hand is depending upon movements, finger placement etc it could become a brandishing charge.

I have open carried for several years and until last year when I got a revolver into the mix, I have NEVER used a strap type holster and have dealt with the police more than once.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB holster that has no retention system beyond the tightness of the belt, I have carried XD 5" 45 in the factory, a crossbreed, and a SERPA, same with xd 9 sc, and have never had a gun try and leap for freedom

I would highly RECOMMEND a positive retention holster, I use them a lot. Since your firearm is on you for your personal protection, it means you are prepared for being criminally attacked. Since that is the case, then research of how criminals attack has wisdom. The Weaver stance, the draw and fire drills etc are all good, but if you consider your body to have 4 sides, you are only 25% likely to be face on with a criminal in an attack. If you get jumped from behind, attacked from the side or even have to run and fall, you do not want your firearm leaving your person and becoming available to the criminal.

This is why police carry in high level retention holsters, they are very likely to do any of those things on a given day, much more than we are, but that does not change the rules when it happens.

Required by law? Nope
    Recommended by many? Yes
    Decided by? You, just as it should be sir, just as it should be.

Good luck with your choices and there are a lot of good instructors working at ranges that will give you a lot of feed back, some will even let you try some of theirs at the range to help you make that choice. Most of us have a drawer or two full of crap holsters we bought on the down low cheap side, you never know, you might get a freebie from someone who hates it after purchase, I know I have given a few away.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Any holster, even a retention holster will allow the gun to drop if you shake it hard enough. While a retention holster is recommended for O.C., a holster that has a safety strap on it to keep the gun in place while you're in public is legal for you to use. The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine. Of course, I cannot speak for every Police officer you may encounter. And with O.C., you're going to want to review all the laws and ordinances in your area to make sure that you're in complete compliance with the laws if you're going to carry a gun with you.
    Cite the Statute please for the law requiring some sort of safety strap for OC or is this just a think so on your part?

No cite, post now deleted, must have been all think so. That is the reason we need cites when quoting laws.
    Last edited by 9026543; 08-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Any holster, even a retention holster will allow the gun to drop if you shake it hard enough. While a retention holster is recommended for O.C., a holster that has a safety strap on it to keep the gun in place while you're in public is legal for you to use. The law requires that the holster have some sort of a safety strap on it if it is to be used for O.C. As long your weapon remains holstered and in complete view of the public, you should be fine. Of course, I cannot speak for every Police officer you may encounter. And with O.C., you're going to want to review all the laws and ordinances in your area to make sure that you're in complete compliance with the laws if you're going to carry a gun with you.
    There are "NO" state laws in Missouri that regulate the legal carrying of a weapon open, that is why it is legal. There is a staute that allows it to be prohibited my municipal government. Also, there is to the best of my knowledge a statute regarding "flourish" or "brandish". If I'm wrong please post the statute. Now, there are and always have been a problem with "threatening manner",, or intimidating and carrying a firearm. See the bill that the governor signed and becomes law Aug. 28th, 2012.

See this:

HB 1647 (effective date 28th day of Aug., 2012
    "571.037. Any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement, and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

yes there is a law.....no cheap azz Chinese made holsters and NO GLITTER or pretty Hello Kitty colors. Other than those three laws you are good to go even with a string (lanyard) that lets your pistola hang from your neck and stuffed in the front of your pants.....just like Eli Wallach in The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

.....http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2324663296/nm0908919

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

Check the 3:01, 5:09, 5:33, 6:42, 7:30, 7:36 marks.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Holster for open carry

As others have noted, I don't know of any state which regulates which holster you use. My recommendation? Stay away from generic holsters. Buy a quality holster made SPECIFICALLY for your gun. Some brands you may wish to check out are Galco, Blackhawk, Bianchi, Safariland, I have used numerous holsters from all of those companies without issue. There are many more companies which I'm sure others will mention. Just make sure you are comfortable and practice with whichever holster you choose.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Guys your are awesome and thanks for all the replys!! im still pretty new to the whole open carry thing, heck im an armed security guard and i dint even think it was legal to do so until i by mistake stumbled into this website and then i still dint belive it till i talked to my C/O about it and talking to the local PD. Carry safely my brothers!
    Last edited by bp231986; 08-21-2012 at 06:48 PM.

As you have undoubtedly figured out, no laws regarding carry method.

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    See this:

HB 1647 (effective date 28th day of Aug., 2012
    "571.037. Any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement, and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."
    Am I correct in believing this is a state pre-emption to fix accidental firearm display issues while CC in locations that are OC illegal?
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
    XD40 Service
    -Hogue Handall grip sleeve
    -Nebo Protec Elite light/laser
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -16" stainless bull-barrel
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Millet SP2 red-dot scope
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11
    -Bone stock; Not much you can do to these little guys.
    No one can make a pencil...

i love blackhawk products as they are pretty durable. i own 2 serpa holsters with level 2 retention, one for a ruger and one for my 1911. they will run 50$ but worth every penny.

personal preference that i wear a holster with some sort of active retention. i would advise you to do the same, but totally up to you.
    train yourself with your pistol and holster. you will get very fluent on drawing your weapon.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

I noticed a police officer in Springfield today carrying in a Fobus holster. It immediately made me think of just how easy it would be for one of the felons from Larry Rice's place to get pissed off and just grab his gun. It would be removed with minimal effort.

There's a reason I personally prefer to carry with some sort of retention when I OC. Until my Glock has the power of the Lawgiver from Judge Dredd I'll stick to some extra retention equipment for OC'ing.
    Last edited by REALteach4u; 08-23-2012 at 11:54 PM.

I really like the function of my Blackhawk Serpa, but the angle adjustment screws keep coming loose, even after using some loctite. If there is a version WITHOUT the screws that allow angle adjustment, get that one. I get tired of my holster starting to wiggle by days end.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyingA380 View Post
    As you have undoubtedly figured out, no laws regarding carry method.

Am I correct in believing this is a state pre-emption to fix accidental firearm display issues while CC in locations that are OC illegal?
    This may be more of a fix directed towards nitwit cops who are devoid of common sense when some poor shlub is obviously CCing and has a momentary wardrobe malfunction. Or, in other words, a prohibition on cops busting your chops just cuz they or someone else thought that you are actually OCing with extremely lengthy intervals of inadvertant concealment of your firearm.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by bp231986 View Post
    Guys your are awesome and thanks for all the replys!! im still pretty new to the whole open carry thing, heck im an armed security guard and i dint even think it was legal to do so until i by mistake stumbled into this website and then i still dint belive it till i talked to my C/O about it and talking to the local PD. Carry safely my brothers!
    So, the length of sting idea is not gunna work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by REALteach4u View Post
    I noticed a police officer in Springfield today carrying in a Fobus holster. It immediately made me think of just how easy it would be for one of the felons from Larry Rice's place to get pissed off and just grab his gun. It would be removed with minimal effort.

There's a reason I personally prefer to carry with some sort of retention when I OC. Until my Glock has the power of the Lawgiver from Judge Dredd I'll stick to some extra retention equipment for OC'ing.
    Im pretty sure that Fobus does offer a retention line of holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    So, the length of sting idea is not gunna work for you?

LOL! Probably not the thing for me.... i was thinking maybe a gold chain with some bling bling and sparkles !!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterarthur View Post
    I really like the function of my Blackhawk Serpa, but the angle adjustment screws keep coming loose, even after using some loctite. If there is a version WITHOUT the screws that allow angle adjustment, get that one. I get tired of my holster starting to wiggle by days end.
    i have 2 serpa holsters and have 0 problems with any screws...you may want to call blackhawk about it.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemoul View Post
    i have 2 serpa holsters and have 0 problems with any screws...you may want to call blackhawk about it.
    I am going to have to agree with kylemoul here Pete, I have also gotten two serpa's one for XD and one for 1911 and neither have ever come loose. Also, mine are in a some what recessed pocket so even if they all three came loose, it might wiggle a bit but the cant of the firearm would not change without effort.

I am wondering if there was a design change. I can take a photo of it later this weekend if you like.

Rich
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Re: Holster for open carry

I would imagine he may be talking about the belt slide screws?? Mine come loose as well. Thank good my belt fits the slot perfectly so it didn't really matter

I have a a 1/2 dozen Blackhawk Serpa holsters, and have never had that problem with the screws. Maybe its a case of operator error!!! :P
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

I'm with the above posters; the design of the Blackhawk angle system makes it so at least two screws must be completely removed and one loosened for the angle to change. Must be some sort of flaw in the position indexers. I personally would like one that didn't have only the 3 positions, but where you could have any angle.
    XD40 Service
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11

I'm with the above posters; the design of the Blackhawk angle system makes it so at least two screws must be completely removed and one loosened for the angle to change. Must be some sort of flaw in the position indexers. I personally would like one that didn't have only the 3 positions, but where you could have any angle.

I agree with this. I can only think he means these screws.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    I agree with this. I can only think he means these screws.

No, these 3, for angle adjustment.

http://clubdoctor.com/pics/serpa2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serpa2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	9142  

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

No, these 3, for angle adjustment.

http://clubdoctor.com/pics/serpa2.jpg
    That's what I thought you were talking about. Those "crescent" indents are there for the exact reason of not allowing it to change angle even in the screws are loose. It must be a manufacturing defect, or if it's an old holster, they could have gotten worn down somehow and now wont stop movement. I've never heard of that problem happening before.
    XD40 Service
    -TruGlo TFO night sights
    Olympic Arms K16-SST
    -Quad-rail forearm
    -Fore grip w/ bi-pod
    KelTec P11

That's what I thought you were talking about. Those "crescent" indents are there for the exact reason of not allowing it to change angle even in the screws are loose. It must be a manufacturing defect, or if it's an old holster, they could have gotten worn down somehow and now wont stop movement. I've never heard of that problem happening before.
    Yea I've never had a problem with these either.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    Yea I've never had a problem with these either.
    It has been a problem since it was new and I only bought it 3 years ago. The screws actually fell out before I started using loctite. Now they just back off enough to allow a little slop. I might need to use something more permanent than loctite...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast