• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way to carry in a vehicle

09jisaac

My girlfriend is starting school an hour and a half away. Naturally I would not want her making this journey without proper precautions. I checked all of her fluids and made sure she kept some extra with her, I checked the spare tire and taught her out to change it and now she has a pair of jumper cables.

But this is what I am most proud of:

View attachment 9110

Her cup holder in the closed position. You cannot tell that it is anything other than a cup holder.

View attachment 9112

View attachment 9111

These show my handy work :p. I took at grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the parts of the cup holder that was needed out of the way. I then used an old license plate to make a solid bottom and cut the part of the license plate off that extended to far. Last I shoe glued a cheap rag in to keep the firearm from contacting any hard/ruff surfaces.

--- Remember, the dash gets hot in the summer. I would not suggest you store a firearm in here during the heat of the day unless you park in the shade. I would still suggest you change ammo frequently as heat degrades ammo somewhat.

I thought about mounting a holster somewhere instead, but I don't want any sign that there is a firearm in the vehicle when I am not around. Even if the firearm does not stay there. I figured a holster would key a criminal's interest.

Will.40

My girlfriend is starting school an hour and a half away. Naturally I would not want her making this journey without proper precautions. I checked all of her fluids and made sure she kept some extra with her, I checked the spare tire and taught her out to change it and now she has a pair of jumper cables.

View attachment 9110

Her cup holder in the closed position. You cannot tell that it is anything other than a cup holder.

View attachment 9112

View attachment 9111

These show my handy work :p. I took at grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the parts of the cup holder that was needed out of the way. I then used an old license plate to make a solid bottom and cut the part of the license plate off that extended to far. Last I shoe glued a cheap rag in to keep the firearm from contacting any hard/ruff surfaces.

--- Remember, the dash gets hot in the summer. I would not suggest you store a firearm in here during the heat of the day unless you park in the shade. I would still suggest you change ammo frequently as heat degrades ammo somewhat.

I thought about mounting a holster somewhere instead, but I don't want any sign that there is a firearm in the vehicle when I am not around. Even if the firearm does not stay there. I figured a holster would key a criminal's interest.

Nice! I would never have thought of something like this. say someone did break into the vehicle, who is going to think to look in the cup holders?

09jisaac

Nice! I would never have thought of something like this. say someone did break into the vehicle, who is going to think to look in the cup holders?

That is my logic also. Especially since cup holders of that style have wire bottoms so it can't even hold change.

DrakeZ07

That's rather smart doing it like that, and it still counts as factory installed compartment, xD

Also, the lower shelf to the left of the cig outlet... you need to clean it, I can see shiny grime on it that looks rather sticky. Also, WINDEX! use it man! those windows are dirteh! And armor-all is your friend, just put some elbow grease in it, it'll knock out those dark dirt spots int eh crease of the dash under the cig lighter.

<3

09jisaac

Also, the lower shelf to the left of the cig outlet... you need to clean it, I can see shiny grime on it that looks rather sticky. Also, WINDEX! use it man! those windows are dirteh! And armor-all is your friend, just put some elbow grease in it, it'll knock out those dark dirt spots int eh crease of the dash under the cig lighter.

I will tell you the same thing I told her "It is not my effing truck". All I have to do with it is make sure it is safe to drive and to get from A to B without breaking down. Other than that, it is her job.

Calling it a factory installed compartment seems a bit of a stretch.

Care to explain how so? The factory cut the hole and supplied most of the parts, I just modified it. I think it is comparable as to mounting a holster in your glove box/door pocket.

langzaiguy

I'm not saying it isn't. I'd call it that. Would a cop/prosecuter/judge call it that? I guess I'm saying that an argument could be made otherwise.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'm not saying it isn't. I'd call it that. Would a cop/prosecuter/judge call it that? I guess I'm saying that an argument could be made otherwise.

It is a compartment that was installed by the manufacturer. They would have to change the definition of "factory installed storage compartment" if they were to get a successful prosecution. I know what you mean though! How do you charge a guy with menacing and disorderly conduct for refusing to conceal a firearm he is openly carrying? I just can't believe that one!

rob31567

View attachment 9110

View attachment 9112

View attachment 9111

Hate to say this, but ive been trying to figure out how to do this trick to my Expedition, lol. Nice trick Tom......

09jisaac

Hate to say this, but ive been trying to figure out how to do this trick to my Expedition, lol. Nice trick Tom......

Tom?

I liked it also. You would not believe how nice my M&P fit in there. With just two cuts it fit like the cup holder was designed for it. Too bad I had to butcher it (more) to fit her beretta in.

09jisaac

An argument can be made out of anything, if one wants to argue. If you don't believe it just read this forum.

Yea, but I feel that I could convince a prosecutor, a judge or a jury of my peers that I did nothing wrong. So I am not worried about it, especially since I have a CDWL.

@thebigSD, the cup holder was already inoperable, so I didn't care about butchering them.

langzaiguy

He never said if his wife has her permit or not. Sure, arguments can be made anytime, anywhere. My point is, it is better for the arguing to be on here than in a court room.

Whatever I do, I want to make sure I am 100% in the right. If this is so, I don't need to fear as even if I'm falsely charged, I'll prevail.

The problem is, if this were me, I would not want to bet my money and freedom on this contraption...even if i think I MAY be right. I don't want to be a test case.

Whats next, carve out my airbag and hide a gun? The hole technically is a compartment, albeit for the airbag. The change drawer? The fuse box?

I have no problem with OPs project. My intention isn't to be argumentative. Just want OP to consider all perspectives or potential perspectives.

09jisaac

He never said if his wife has her permit or not. Sure, arguments can be made anytime, anywhere. My point is, it is better for the arguing to be on here than in a court room.

Whatever I do, I want to make sure I am 100% in the right. If this is so, I don't need to fear as even if I'm falsely charged, I'll prevail.

I have no problem with OPs project. My intention isn't to be argumentative. Just want OP to consider all perspectives or potential perspectives.

I am not married but the girl who owns the truck, my girlfriend, does not possess a concealed carry permit from any state. She is only 20 years of age and will be so until May 18th.

Your intention is to be argumentative, but with a very good reason for it. This website's primary purpose is to keep everyone well informed of the applicable laws. Every time anyone is arrested for a gun related incident, our cause is hurt. I fully understand what you are getting at.

Unfortunately no one can be certain they are within the law. All laws are written in a way to show some ambiguity as to keep government officials in more power. The way I decide if what I am doing is probably within the law is by my simple way of measuring something: Can I convince a prosecutor, a Judge, or a jury of my peers that I did nothing wrong? In this case, I believe I can.

The law states:

A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console,
or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism.

Container: an object that can be used to hold or transport something ---- A cup holder fits this description.

The cup holder and the space the cup holder resides in were both in that truck when it left the factory. So, even with modifications I feel that it can be argued and won in a court of law that it is in fact original equipment by its manufacturer.

I think this is equates to redesigning your glove box to hold a firearm more securely, such as mounting a holster so your firearm stays in the same position. This is similar, in my opinion, because I could have installed other firearms into the same space without modifying the existing hardware. I feel that if I could fit any handgun in there then I should be able to put any other handgun in there, with or without modification.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am not married but the girl who owns the truck, my girlfriend, does not possess a concealed carry permit from any state. She is only 20 years of age and will be so until May 18th.

Your intention is to be argumentative, but with a very good reason for it. This website's primary purpose is to keep everyone well informed of the applicable laws. Every time anyone is arrested for a gun related incident, our cause is hurt. I fully understand what you are getting at.

Unfortunately no one can be certain they are within the law. All laws are written in a way to show some ambiguity as to keep government officials in more power. The way I decide if what I am doing is probably within the law is by my simple way of measuring something: Can I convince a prosecutor, a Judge, or a jury of my peers that I did nothing wrong? In this case, I believe I can.

The law states:

Container: an object that can be used to hold or transport something ---- A cup holder fits this description.

The cup holder and the space the cup holder resides in were both in that truck when it left the factory. So, even with modifications I feel that it can be argued and won in a court of law that it is in fact original equipment by its manufacturer.

I think this is equates to redesigning your glove box to hold a firearm more securely, such as mounting a holster so your firearm stays in the same position. This is similar, in my opinion, because I could have installed other firearms into the same space without modifying the existing hardware. I feel that if I could fit any handgun in there then I should be able to put any other handgun in there, with or without modification.

I agree. A cup holder is for storage, and it was installed by the manufacturer; all you did was modify it to fit your needs. This is not something I would have her worry about. What really needs to be thought about is how she plans to keep her firearm in a dorm room (assuming she is staying in a dorm).

09jisaac

What really needs to be thought about is how she plans to keep her firearm in a dorm room (assuming she is staying in a dorm).

I wish, but the truck is as far as she is willing to go. The school is a big particular about firearm related objects. She was cited for "contraband" for having empty brass in her room. Nothing ever happened from it but I am just talking about brass and punched primers, nothing more than just shaped metal.

She is leaving her firearm in her truck and walking to and from her room with pepper spray. I don't like it one bit either. I would rather her have 18 rds of speer gold dot +p than 2 ozs of hot sauce.

If she had her CDWL she would sew her a purse up, but unfortunately carry a concealed deadly weapon is illegal without one.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I wish, but the truck is as far as she is willing to go. The school is a big particular about firearm related objects. She was cited for "contraband" for having empty brass in her room. Nothing ever happened from it but I am just talking about brass and punched primers, nothing more than just shaped metal.

She is leaving her firearm in her truck and walking to and from her room with pepper spray. I don't like it one bit either. I would rather her have 18 rds of speer gold dot +p than 2 ozs of hot sauce.

If she had her CDWL she would sew her a purse up, but unfortunately carry a concealed deadly weapon is illegal without one.

If they are not going to go to permitless carry they need to at least lower the age from 21 to 18. I think it is absurd we can carry at 18 but we can't carry at 18!?!?! Crazy.