• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattke/King County OC Report

Freedom1Man

I'd love to hear more stories from you and others. I'm at a mission in Downtown Seattle and can't carry due to mission rules but I do want to know how much hassle i'm likely to get when I am able to carry seeing as Seattle is full of deep blue numskulls. Probably thanks to them I594 was 'passed'. Of course intelligent people know it's an infringement and is therefore void but most are not and will blindly obey
I have carried in Seattle in the past, Pike place, Bell Town, Capital Hill, and along the water front eve on to the Ferries.

I had, had minimal problems. The fact that I was OC stopped an attempt to steal my camera at one point.

I would OC pistols around Seattle if it were not for a court order prohibiting this. I can still OC long guns though.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

rightwinglibertarian

I have carried in Seattle in the past, Pike place, Bell Town, Capital Hill, and along the water front eve on to the Ferries.

I had, had minimal problems. The fact that I was OC stopped an attempt to steal my camera at one point.

I would OC pistols around Seattle if it were not for a court order prohibiting this. I can still OC long guns though.

There is no such 'order.' Yes I've read the long thread on the topic

Article Six, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

This makes the 2A absolute. The (dis)honorable 'judge' may as well have ordered you not to breathe for all the legitimacy that so-called order has

The Macf

So you can't OC in downtown Seattle anymore? I enjoy downtown and going to the Mariners when I am in town.

rightwinglibertarian

So you can't OC in downtown Seattle anymore? I enjoy downtown and going to the Mariners when I am in town.

Well i'm a self confessed sports hater but if you want to OC in downtown let me know. I'd be glad to video it. Provided you have better than a dumbphone camera. Be awesome to see at least one person with the guts to OC in this deep blue city

The Macf

I posted an intro/question in the Washington FAQ but I guess it has to be approved first.
I browsed around and saw the thread about Freedom and Judge Bonner. That's a shame. I personally don't prefer open carry, but I will carry however I can until I get Washington's permit.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I posted an intro/question in the Washington FAQ but I guess it has to be approved first.
I browsed around and saw the thread about Freedom and Judge Bonner. That's a shame. I personally don't prefer open carry, but I will carry however I can until I get Washington's permit.

Well, until you get a CPL you have to OC.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
............ if you want to OC in downtown let me know.
Be awesome to see at least one person with the guts to OC in this deep blue city

I OC seattle whenever I am forced to go there. I have never been hassled there and I will continue to OC there. I do not like being followed by cameras, so that part is out. SVG, Boomboy and others have even marched the Cities streets while armed.

solus

perhaps there is still hope to coax you back to proper side of carry...since you are out here conversing...

OC because it is right not out of your presenting perspective...projecting a pouting ...well if it is the only way to have a gun i guess i will...skuffing your foot in the dirt...

ipse

Last edited:

The Macf

Well, until you get a CPL you have to OC.

And I will.

I OC seattle whenever I am forced to go there. I have never been hassled there and I will continue to OC there. I do not like being followed by cameras, so that part is out. SVG, Boomboy and others have even marched the Cities streets while armed.

Forced is the operative term for me. Unless it's late summer I really don't enjoy Seattle. The last few times I was there, everyone just looks so depressed and beat down.

perhaps there is still hope to coax you back to proper side of carry...since you are out here conversing...

OC because it is right not out of your presenting perspective...projecting a pouting ...well if it is the only way to have a gun i guess i will...skuffing your foot in the dirt...

ipse

I'm not pouting, I just prefer CC. Just like I prefer Pepsi over Coke. I'll still drink both of them but if I have a choice I will take/do what I prefer. I don't want people to see my firearm and make myself a target. I have enough liberal, anti gun, the world is so peaceful, hippies in my family that I don't need a whole city giving me the stinkeye. Should it be this way? no. If there is an OC walk through Capital Hill to Pioneer Square, I'll gladly join you and stop and hand out pamphlets or answer questions to raise awareness.

BTW, I was a little confused on the wording of the RCW. You can OC fully loaded just not in your car without permit. RCW 9.41.050 "A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol " I took the carry portion to include carrying while on the street out of the vehicle.

Difdi

SG: It makes a few customers nervous, can you do something to cover that up?

The next time someone says something like that to you, you ought to give them a look of wide-eyed innocence and ask "Are you asking me to violate the LAW? You need a permit to cover up!"

:D

Last edited:

zaitz

Banned
I seldom go downtown, however I too did a little OC in downtown yesterday. Had my Taurus Millenium Pro in my OWB holster on the right side.

I was headed to an event in Fremont, (Where I CC'd by choice), but for the trip down and back... OC all the way.

Grabbed the Sound Transit 510 out of Everett Station, got off the bus Downtown in near Westlake Park, walked down to Third Avenue to catch the Metro to Fremont. Got a good wiff of Hempfest on that walk :). Same thing on the way home but I got off the metro to early and had to walk quite a bit further thru downtown, still not a word from anyone.

Not a word from anyone, however for some reason no one sat next to me on VERY crowded Down Town Metro :)

I could be wrong, but supposedly metro transit forbids carrying handguns on buses . . . Or am I mistaken? Is there a difference between metro transit and sound transit and the others on this topic?

zaitz

Banned
Was contacted by 3-4 Seattle Police Officers today while shopping around Pike Place Market.

I was in a cooking supply store checking out the latest and greatest widgets and was suddenly being talked to by 1 cop who had 2-3 others with him. I was calm, relaxed, and still annoyed. They told me someone had called about me I told them that I had not been handling my firearm and so there was no issue to investigate. They talked amongst themselves and then told me that it seems like I know the open carry laws and that what I was doing was legal unless I was a felon. Are you a felon? No.

I decided to ask them about what they thought of one of the cooking pans that was within easy reach. One told me he had never used it and so I started asking the others with him. They became a little irritated by that and left.

There are some nifty new widgets out there for those of us who cook. Nothing I couldn't live out buying though.

No problems the rest of the time.

In order to justify a "Terry stop," an officer needs to have articulable suspicions of a crime. If you are slightly irritated, next time you could also try something like this,

"Officer, I trust this conversation is being recorded. Could you tell me what articulable suspicions you have that would justify a Terry stop?"

Cause if the answer is, "We don't have any," you might consider suing them . . .

rightwinglibertarian

I don't like cameras either but considering the state of Seattle and it's police and politics, you would do well to swallow your dislike and film as much as possible. You never know when said video will be needed in the prosecution of criminal behavior

Alpine

Been open carrying on Mercer Island a lot lately.

Mostly no reactions due to oblivious people with heads buried in their phones or people with brains and common sense.

Two negative reactions that turned somewhat positive. At the north end QFC I had a stocker walking the aisles tell me I couldn't have the gun in their store, at which point I reminded them that Krueger corporate policy is to follow state law and to check with his manager. I was half expecting the store manager on MI to deny that but the guy never came back and as I was leaving an elderly cashier thanked me for carrying.

At the MI library I had a young guy tell me I was racist and that if I was black I'd be shot. I happened to quickly pull up the video of armed black Panthers marching with rifles and he saw it then immediately started on me about guns not being the "answer" and how I was making people nervous. I told him the only person making others was nervous was him and pointed out no one else in the library was even paying attention to me besides him. Eventually a librarian came over and asked him to leave me alone.

No other issues. Had MI PD drive by when I was at the downtown Park with no issues.

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

I could be wrong, but supposedly metro transit forbids carrying handguns on buses . . . Or am I mistaken? Is there a difference between metro transit and sound transit and the others on this topic?

King County METRO Transit is operated by the government, not a private company/organization. Unsure about Sound Transit.

rightwinglibertarian

Been open carrying on Mercer Island a lot lately.

Mostly no reactions due to oblivious people with heads buried in their phones or people with brains and common sense.

Two negative reactions that turned somewhat positive. At the north end QFC I had a stocker walking the aisles tell me I couldn't have the gun in their store, at which point I reminded them that Krueger corporate policy is to follow state law and to check with his manager. I was half expecting the store manager on MI to deny that but the guy never came back and as I was leaving an elderly cashier thanked me for carrying.

At the MI library I had a young guy tell me I was racist and that if I was black I'd be shot. I happened to quickly pull up the video of armed black Panthers marching with rifles and he saw it then immediately started on me about guns not being the "answer" and how I was making people nervous. I told him the only person making others was nervous was him and pointed out no one else in the library was even paying attention to me besides him. Eventually a librarian came over and asked him to leave me alone.

No other issues. Had MI PD drive by when I was at the downtown Park with no issues.

come out to the downtown area we'll see the reaction. I'll have a decent cell by then and will be able to film better than VGA.

Freedom1Man

King County METRO Transit is operated by the government, not a private company/organization. Unsure about Sound Transit.
Government agency or acting as such.

Only had one issue with OC on sound transit. The driver was an idiot and a supervisor on hand fixed things. She claimed that the law prohibited OC because she had read the law and "knew the law" I explained that she was mistaken. A supervisor happened to be on hand. The supervisor asked if my friend or I had threatened her. She looked confused. Supervisor was baffled at the issue. The driver claimed it was illegal for us to OC on the bus. The supervisor told her it was not, the driver seemed confused until the supervisor explained it to her again. Finally the driver stopped hassling us.

Last edited:

mnrobitaille

Government agency or acting as such.

Only had one issue with OC on sound transit. The driver was an idiot and a supervisor on hand fixed things. She claimed that the law prohibited OC because she had read the law and "knew the law" I explained that she was mistaken. A supervisor happened to be on hand. The supervisor asked if my friend or I had threatened her. She looked confused. Supervisor was baffled at the issue. The driver claimed it was illegal fore us to OC on the bus. The supervisor told her it was not, the driver seemed confused until the supervisor explained it to her again. Finally the driver stopped hassling us.

I'm a bit surprised that the supervisor did not request to see your CPLs, especially if loaded.