Thread: Zoning Alert! Va. Beach "tackles" issue of gun sales from home

Zoning Alert! Va. Beach "tackles" issue of gun sales from home

Perhaps the General Assembly ought to intervene next session and put these tyrants Zoning bureaucrats in their place:

Virginia Beach tackles issue of gun sales from homes
    Guns are an issue that prompt debate at every level of government. In this city, they've even become a zoning issue.

In the past eight years, six people have come before the Planning Commission seeking permission to sell guns or related accessories out of their homes. City staff members such as Kay Wilson, an associate city attorney, advise that "guns shouldn't be singled out" when commissioners review such home-business applications.

"It's a look at retail sales from the home," Wilson explained.

Planning commissioners say it isn't that simple.

"I'm just not comfortable with it, honestly," Commissioner Bernas said at the time, according to a transcript. "But I wish he was selling beads or coins or something less controversial."

"I don't think this is something that we want to be promoting in our neighborhoods," Commissioner Philip Russo Jr. added. "People find out about these things and it just invites break-ins."
    "I'm just not comfortable with it, honestly." Well, at least the Hoplophobe is honest.

Banned
    Just have an office there and do the actual transfers somewhere else.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Just have an office there and do the actual transfers somewhere else.
    This wasn't a problem when I had an FFL but a couple of years ago in order to reign in gun sales by individuals, the ATF started requiring FFL holders to be in correctly zoned areas. So if the business (home) isn't zoned for it, you lose your license.

Some areas like Hanover created a special zoning for home based FFL's....some didn't.

How would this not be a direct violation of 15.2-915? Unless the state code that allows localities to set up zoning specifically mentions firearms as something they can regulate, it seems to me that any zoning aimed at firearms would be illegal and unenforceable.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    How would this not be a direct violation of 15.2-915? Unless the state code that allows localities to set up zoning specifically mentions firearms as something they can regulate, it seems to me that any zoning aimed at firearms would be illegal and unenforceable. TFred
    Now...someone just has to present it!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    This wasn't a problem when I had an FFL but a couple of years ago in order to reign in gun sales by individuals, the ATF started requiring FFL holders to be in correctly zoned areas. So if the business (home) isn't zoned for it, you lose your license.

Some areas like Hanover created a special zoning for home based FFL's....some didn't.
    Many cities in the Commonwealth do not allow retail sales from the home, but do allow internet sales. Get a business license for internet sales. Do not tell them what you will sell, only that you will sell retail over the internet. Show the BATFE your business license and your intent to sell over the internet. Sell some firearms on auction arms or gunbroker. All is well.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776