• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zoning Alert! Va. Beach "tackles" issue of gun sales from home

Repeater

Perhaps the General Assembly ought to intervene next session and put these [strike]tyrants[/strike] Zoning bureaucrats in their place:

Virginia Beach tackles issue of gun sales from homes
Guns are an issue that prompt debate at every level of government. In this city, they've even become a zoning issue.

In the past eight years, six people have come before the Planning Commission seeking permission to sell guns or related accessories out of their homes. City staff members such as Kay Wilson, an associate city attorney, advise that "guns shouldn't be singled out" when commissioners review such home-business applications.

"It's a look at retail sales from the home," Wilson explained.

Planning commissioners say it isn't that simple.

"I'm just not comfortable with it, honestly," Commissioner Bernas said at the time, according to a transcript. "But I wish he was selling beads or coins or something less controversial."

"I don't think this is something that we want to be promoting in our neighborhoods," Commissioner Philip Russo Jr. added. "People find out about these things and it just invites break-ins."

"I'm just not comfortable with it, honestly." Well, at least the Hoplophobe is honest.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just have an office there and do the actual transfers somewhere else.

This wasn't a problem when I had an FFL but a couple of years ago in order to reign in gun sales by individuals, the ATF started requiring FFL holders to be in correctly zoned areas. So if the business (home) isn't zoned for it, you lose your license.

Some areas like Hanover created a special zoning for home based FFL's....some didn't.

TFred

How would this not be a direct violation of 15.2-915? Unless the state code that allows localities to set up zoning specifically mentions firearms as something they can regulate, it seems to me that any zoning aimed at firearms would be illegal and unenforceable.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Very good point!

How would this not be a direct violation of 15.2-915? Unless the state code that allows localities to set up zoning specifically mentions firearms as something they can regulate, it seems to me that any zoning aimed at firearms would be illegal and unenforceable. TFred

Now...someone just has to present it!

Thundar

This wasn't a problem when I had an FFL but a couple of years ago in order to reign in gun sales by individuals, the ATF started requiring FFL holders to be in correctly zoned areas. So if the business (home) isn't zoned for it, you lose your license.

Some areas like Hanover created a special zoning for home based FFL's....some didn't.

Many cities in the Commonwealth do not allow retail sales from the home, but do allow internet sales. Get a business license for internet sales. Do not tell them what you will sell, only that you will sell retail over the internet. Show the BATFE your business license and your intent to sell over the internet. Sell some firearms on auction arms or gunbroker. All is well.