• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

loganhorse

I am 18 years old. I bought a 9mm off of my friend and want to open carry but don't know where to start.
First, can I legally own a handgun? Secondly, can I open carry it? Where can I keep it in my truck and no be illegal?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yes you can legally own it. Yes, you can openly carry it. You can keep it on your side, in the open, or in any enclosed factory installed storage compartment (meaning the glove box, console, etc.); check out KRS 527.020 for more information on car carry at http://lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm . You can also look at the thread at the top of the KY forum titled "KY gun laws."

EDIT: Scroll down to chapter "527: offenses realting to firearms and weapons" on the website I gave you and click the blue link; on the new page click on ".020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon." You can also go to chapter 237 for more firearm statutes.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I welcome you to OCDO, it is really a poor time to be asking the question of can you legally own a gun.

Yes you can buy/acquire a handgun, just not from a dealer/FFL.

Yes you can OC it in your state.
http://opencarry.org/age.htm

self preservation

Welcome. As the others have mentioned, learn what you can and can not do before you do it. To quote the Steve Earle song, "devils right hand" (about a gun of course) he say's "I soon found out, it'll get you into trouble but it can't get you out"

You have found a great place for info. I hope you remain active with us at OCDO. Once again, welcome.

loganhorse

Maybe I kinda left that open. I have read throughly through the stickies but I guess just wanted "reassurance" before I actually started carrying.

Another question, say I'm using a hip holster, is it considered concealed if I sit in a car and the officer can't see it? Maybe the console or something is blocking it.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Maybe I kinda left that open. I have read throughly through the stickies but I guess just wanted "reassurance" before I actually started carrying.

Another question, say I'm using a hip holster, is it considered concealed if I sit in a car and the officer can't see it? Maybe the console or something is blocking it.

No. It is carried openly on your person and you are not making an effort to conceal the firearm. The firearm is simply out of view of the officer, not completely concealed! You are OK to leave it on your side in your car!

You never know how an officer will interpret the law, and you could be charged (very unlikely though) if an officer is ignorant of the term concealed. A concealed charge would never stick though, and it is not something I would worry about. You could be arrested at anytime for nearly anything if an officer wants to jeoporadize his job to make a false arrest. If you worry about being arrested you will never carry; just know the law (so you know you are right) and carry on!

From KRS 527.020:

527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
(1) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person.

Last edited: