Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Who needs a gun in the area (Rough weekend)

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Who needs a gun in the area (Rough weekend)


  2. #2
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I would really like to see the security camera video of that incident. I guess he won't be cutting in line anymore. :-(

    As for the others, I am glad I don't have to go to Richmond much but my daughter is thinking about VCU!!!

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Bernell Benn told The Virginian-Pilot (http://bit.ly/OnzL0f) in an interview at Norfolk City Jail that he was defending himself after Ramon P. Colorado Jr. cut in line and then hit Benn with pepper spray.
    Police charged the 41-year-old Benn with second-degree murder and felony use of a firearm in Thursday's shooting.
    After Benn was hit with pepper spray, police say he fired a handgun at Colorado, who then pulled out a weapon and shot back.
    Now what would induce Mr. Colorado to pepper-spray Mr. Benn? Or is the story that Mr. Colorado cut in line and without any provocation then turned around and pepper-sprayed the guy he just cut in front of?

    With the exception of a few very unusual situations I do not believe being pepper-sprayed causes apprehension of imminent death or serious bodily injury. And for those few unusual circumstances I imagine the person is going to be more busy trying to remain alive than have the time and presence of mind to shoot the person who just pepper-sprayed them.

    Color me skeptical that Mr. Benn will get very far with his attempt to claim self defense.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Now what would induce Mr. Colorado to pepper-spray Mr. Benn? Or is the story that Mr. Colorado cut in line and without any provocation then turned around and pepper-sprayed the guy he just cut in front of?

    With the exception of a few very unusual situations I do not believe being pepper-sprayed causes apprehension of imminent death or serious bodily injury. And for those few unusual circumstances I imagine the person is going to be more busy trying to remain alive than have the time and presence of mind to shoot the person who just pepper-sprayed them.

    Color me skeptical that Mr. Benn will get very far with his attempt to claim self defense.

    stay safe.
    People have died from pepper spray you know (Sarcasm)

    What really killed Mr. Colorado was Bad Manners!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Betty_Rose_Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    29
    As I recall, Mr. Colorado had had a bit of trouble before. He'd harassed and harangued some poor woman to the point that she took out a restraining order on him. He wasn't one of our most upstanding citizens. Still, it's a puzzle as to how this "line-cutting" business turned deadly so fast.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose_Brown View Post
    As I recall, Mr. Colorado had had a bit of trouble before. He'd harassed and harangued some poor woman to the point that she took out a restraining order on him. He wasn't one of our most upstanding citizens. Still, it's a puzzle as to how this "line-cutting" business turned deadly so fast.
    Well Betty, it's really pretty simple.

    Mr. Colorado was a Deputy until he got fired. He became a volunteer Deputy in another Venue (or Vice Versa) which unfortunately still gives full police powers. Apparently he didn't do well there either. So it's safe to assume he was an ass.

    Mr. Benn appears to be another of those that read to much about condition orange, etc. I recall someone discussing shooting a rude homeless woman.

    Mr. Colorado butted in line, Mr. Benn spoke sharply to him, Mr. Colorado used his superb police training to spray Mr.' Benn with pepper gas while Mr. Benn was defending his life by pulling his gun. Mr. Colorado saw this and drew his but a little late.

    No big loss, but I really wish they had used knives.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-20-2012 at 08:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    I really want to see the store video to see if it matches what Mr. Benn says. According to him after being pepper sprayed Mr. Colorado had a gun in his hand.

    So personally if someone pepper sprays me and then produces a gun in their hand which could be brandishing I would be taking evasive actions which may include drawing my own gun. It all does seem a bit odd but a store video would help clear things up. Hopefully it was caught on video otherwise it is his word against the dead man's silence and any witnesses.

  8. #8
    Regular Member riverrat10k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    on a rock in the james river
    Posts
    1,453
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

    --Robert A. Heinlein

    Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Airframer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I really want to see the store video to see if it matches what Mr. Benn says. According to him after being pepper sprayed Mr. Colorado had a gun in his hand.

    Dude I've been sprayed by oleo-resin capsicum 10% spray before in security training and I couldn't see squat aside from brief flashes of light as I made every attempt to pry my eyelids open passed the grit of the pepper and the sting of the burn. It effects some differently but still, I don't see how he saw anything after getting sprayed.

    If Mr. Colorado did draw a gun on the surveillance camera then maybe it was a clean shoot, however, it seems to me like a power-hungry wannabe supercop reject got a little too carried away with himself.
    It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it...

  10. #10
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    They both must have been carrying concealed or Mr. Colorado might have thought twice before cutting in line or pepper spraying someone. OC rules again.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    People have died from pepper spray you know (Sarcasm)
    Pepper Spray can be used to put down the victim so that the REAL beating can begin. A blind victim on the ground that is having trouble breathing is a much easier target to kick, stab, punch, etc.

    Pepper Spray me and you get peppered with lead
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  12. #12
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Pepper Spray can be used to put down the victim so that the REAL beating can begin. A blind victim on the ground that is having trouble breathing is a much easier target to kick, stab, punch, etc.

    Pepper Spray me and you get peppered with lead
    One might also say the shooter didn't know it was pepper spray, it could have been acid, poisen or other chemicals that could kill a person....

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Pepper Spray me and you get peppered with lead
    That would make a catchy commercial jingle Ed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •