• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in the area (Rough weekend)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

45acpForMe

I would really like to see the security camera video of that incident. I guess he won't be cutting in line anymore. :-(

As for the others, I am glad I don't have to go to Richmond much but my daughter is thinking about VCU!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Bernell Benn told The Virginian-Pilot (http://bit.ly/OnzL0f) in an interview at Norfolk City Jail that he was defending himself after Ramon P. Colorado Jr. cut in line and then hit Benn with pepper spray.
Police charged the 41-year-old Benn with second-degree murder and felony use of a firearm in Thursday's shooting.
After Benn was hit with pepper spray, police say he fired a handgun at Colorado, who then pulled out a weapon and shot back.

Now what would induce Mr. Colorado to pepper-spray Mr. Benn? Or is the story that Mr. Colorado cut in line and without any provocation then turned around and pepper-sprayed the guy he just cut in front of?

With the exception of a few very unusual situations I do not believe being pepper-sprayed causes apprehension of imminent death or serious bodily injury. And for those few unusual circumstances I imagine the person is going to be more busy trying to remain alive than have the time and presence of mind to shoot the person who just pepper-sprayed them.

Color me skeptical that Mr. Benn will get very far with his attempt to claim self defense.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now what would induce Mr. Colorado to pepper-spray Mr. Benn? Or is the story that Mr. Colorado cut in line and without any provocation then turned around and pepper-sprayed the guy he just cut in front of?

With the exception of a few very unusual situations I do not believe being pepper-sprayed causes apprehension of imminent death or serious bodily injury. And for those few unusual circumstances I imagine the person is going to be more busy trying to remain alive than have the time and presence of mind to shoot the person who just pepper-sprayed them.

Color me skeptical that Mr. Benn will get very far with his attempt to claim self defense.

stay safe.

People have died from pepper spray you know (Sarcasm):lol:

What really killed Mr. Colorado was Bad Manners!

Betty_Rose_Brown

As I recall, Mr. Colorado had had a bit of trouble before. He'd harassed and harangued some poor woman to the point that she took out a restraining order on him. He wasn't one of our most upstanding citizens. Still, it's a puzzle as to how this "line-cutting" business turned deadly so fast.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As I recall, Mr. Colorado had had a bit of trouble before. He'd harassed and harangued some poor woman to the point that she took out a restraining order on him. He wasn't one of our most upstanding citizens. Still, it's a puzzle as to how this "line-cutting" business turned deadly so fast.

Well Betty, it's really pretty simple.

Mr. Colorado was a Deputy until he got fired. He became a volunteer Deputy in another Venue (or Vice Versa) which unfortunately still gives full police powers. Apparently he didn't do well there either. So it's safe to assume he was an ass.

Mr. Benn appears to be another of those that read to much about condition orange, etc. I recall someone discussing shooting a rude homeless woman.

Mr. Colorado butted in line, Mr. Benn spoke sharply to him, Mr. Colorado used his superb police training to spray Mr.' Benn with pepper gas while Mr. Benn was defending his life by pulling his gun. Mr. Colorado saw this and drew his but a little late.

No big loss, but I really wish they had used knives.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I really want to see the store video to see if it matches what Mr. Benn says. According to him after being pepper sprayed Mr. Colorado had a gun in his hand.

So personally if someone pepper sprays me and then produces a gun in their hand which could be brandishing I would be taking evasive actions which may include drawing my own gun. It all does seem a bit odd but a store video would help clear things up. Hopefully it was caught on video otherwise it is his word against the dead man's silence and any witnesses.

The Airframer

I really want to see the store video to see if it matches what Mr. Benn says. According to him after being pepper sprayed Mr. Colorado had a gun in his hand.

Dude I've been sprayed by oleo-resin capsicum 10% spray before in security training and I couldn't see squat aside from brief flashes of light as I made every attempt to pry my eyelids open passed the grit of the pepper and the sting of the burn:mad:. It effects some differently but still, I don't see how he saw anything after getting sprayed.

If Mr. Colorado did draw a gun on the surveillance camera then maybe it was a clean shoot, however, it seems to me like a power-hungry wannabe supercop reject got a little too carried away with himself.

DocWalker

Pepper Spray can be used to put down the victim so that the REAL beating can begin. A blind victim on the ground that is having trouble breathing is a much easier target to kick, stab, punch, etc.

Pepper Spray me and you get peppered with lead

One might also say the shooter didn't know it was pepper spray, it could have been acid, poisen or other chemicals that could kill a person....