• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in Libraries: Open-Carry is "abhorrent, defiling ..."

Repeater

Gun hatred is alive and well ...

Guns don't belong at the library

It's a Communist Plot, I tell 'ya! Oh wait, that's the letter at top. Sorry ...
Using the public library as a setting for a gun rights demonstration is abhorrent. The presence of guns at a public library is antithetical to its mission of education, self-improvement and civic betterment.

I am opposed to the Virginia Citizen Defense League or any others defiling the library with politically driven, intellectually feeble, Constitutionally dubious claims of Second Amendment entitlement. Its pursuit of unfettered gun rights tramples on my right to a pursuit of happiness — [size=+2]which decidedly does not include guns at a library.[/size]

Don't tread on me, and if you're wearing a gun, don't tread in my library either.

You people not welcome here.

Repeater

What's wrong with this picture?

250px-Gadsden_flag.svg.png
[size=+10]=[/size]
No-guns.gif

45acpForMe

There were a few comments that were anti but I liked the comment from Jeff Kleb:

Mr. Morgan -- I was on vacation out of state during the VCDL 'protest' at the library, or I probably would have been there. The library's leadership has only themselves to blame for the recent event.

It was caused by a sign that first said concealed weapons were prohibited - which is not true. Under state pre-emption, the city library cannot invalidate a state law that allows for concealed-carry of a handgun. When they were called on it, they changed the sign to say that concealed weapons were not permitted, "except as authorized by law" (which is by anybody with a permit).

The VCDL folks notified the Richmond PD ahead of time and they handled things very well, as they most always do. You have nothing to fear from armed citizens, so long as you are not a criminal or a tyrant who means us harm.

In most cases, you will be near someone carrying - but you won't know it because they will have their handgun concealed. We are not monsters; just citizens who value our freedom, our lives and the safety of our community.

It seems yet again the voice of reason comes from one of us and the voice of emotional nonsense comes from an anti. I don't know how guns are antithetical to education. Should people in Afghanistan simply let the Taliban destroy schools because they are against training girls or should we fight them using <gasp> guns? When the schools were integrated in the USA and people resisted blacks being allowed in their schools didn't the national guard (ordered by President Eisenhower) show up to enforce the desegregation and weren't they carrying <gasp> guns? In cases like the above the only reason people can get an education is because guns were involved.

Last edited:

TFred

I sure hope someone is keeping track of all these violations of 15.2-915. We need to make a huge push this year to add real teeth to that law. Page after page of examples of violations might be a good start.

How did Florida do it?

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

DocWalker

"Don't tread on me, and if you're wearing a gun, don't tread in my library either."

From the letter to the editor...lol

His library, does he own it or does the public own it? If the public owns it than they must follow public laws.

STUPID PEOPLE.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
DocWalker;1811722.... His library said:
I had an interesting conversation with one of the nurses at McGuire VAMC today regarding the Read-In[SUP](C)[/SUP]. She started off saying that she did not understand why the library could not have a rule against guns, just like there is a rule at the VAMC. After explaining about the state preemption law and the reasons for it, she changed her mind and, while still not liking the fact that folks carry guns (they are not needed, that's what the police are for, etc.) she agreed that the library should not be making any rule - for or against - if the state law says they can not.

I do not think she will ever be a convert to the idea of carrying, or supporting anybody else carrying (for whatever reason) but it is nice to see that even someone who is opposed to anybody but cops carrying can alse see that obeying the law is necessary even when it means you cannot have your preferred way.

stay safe.