• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Editing Digital Audio Recording

Steeler-gal

I recorded some things at an outing I was at today. I was OCing and caught some cool audio that I'd like to share. Using a handheld digital recorder, I recorded over 5 hours of digital audio and really only need to share a few seconds of it. Is there an app that I can download that will allow me to splice out the section that I want? It's only 32 seconds. I'm on a Mac. I'd prefer a free app but would be willing to pay for something if it's inexpensive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ca Patriot

what format is it ?

youtube has a basic editor.

your computer should have come with a basic video editing program.

Last edited:

Jack House

I recorded some things at an outing I was at today. I was OCing and caught some cool audio that I'd like to share. Using a handheld digital recorder, I recorded over 5 hours of digital audio and really only need to share a few seconds of it. Is there an app that I can download that will allow me to splice out the section that I want? It's only 32 seconds. I'm on a Mac. I'd prefer a free app but would be willing to pay for something if it's inexpensive.

Thanks for any suggestions.
What format is it in? Some recorders have special formats that need to be converted first.

Audacity is EXCELLENT for exactly what you want, but to output to MP3, it needs an addon. Stupid licensing. It's very easy to use and I can walk you through it no problem.

Audacity is an excellent, easy to use audio editor that is 100% free.

twoskinsonemanns

What format is it in? Some recorders have special formats that need to be converted first.

Audacity is EXCELLENT for exactly what you want, but to output to MP3, it needs an addon. Stupid licensing. It's very easy to use and I can walk you through it no problem.

Another vote for Audacity. I use it and it's awesome. Also the add on thing for mp3s is no big deal and very easy to implement.

Steeler-gal

I can record it as as mp3 or wma format. I'm going to check out Audacity

Last edited:

Jack House

I'm on a Mac. I have movie editing software and may try that out to see if it can edit audio clips.
Audacity is going to be a thousand times better than any video editing software. It's small, simple to use and cutting out clips is so easy Geico's cavemen can do it.