Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autopsy: Death of handcuffed man in Ark. a suicide

Autopsy: Death of handcuffed man in Ark. a suicide

I'm not buying it, how was a guy who was handcuffed and searched twice able to place a gun against his head and pull the trigger? Based on "investigative conclusions" from the the police department involved? What happened to impartial investigations?

http://usat.ly/MHdVXg
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I'm not buying it, how was a guy who was handcuffed and searched twice able to place a gun against his head and pull the trigger? Based on "investigative conclusions" from the the police department involved? What happened to impartial investigations?

http://usat.ly/MHdVXg
    The autopsy report comes days after police released video recorded the night Carter was shot. Part of the video showed Carter being patted down and ended before officers found Carter slumped over and bleeding in the back of a patrol car as was described in a police report. Police later released additional video they said came after Carter was found.

Am I'm reading this right that they released video of before the shooting and after the shooting? But not the period of time of the shooting?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Yes, you are reading that correctly. They have said they do not have video during the actual incident because they had turned their lights off and the lights are linked to the camera...

BULL CHIPS....

This is a cover up by the cops....shame that the medical examiners are going along with it.

The shame is that the People have let this kinda of system of policing corruption to grip it's self around her neck.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    a perfect example of why we have the 2nd amendment

Devil's advocate: It's happened before, a man in an interrogation room shot himself in the head after the police had searched him. There's video of him shooting himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Devil's advocate: It's happened before, a man in an interrogation room shot himself in the head after the police had searched him. There's video of him shooting himself.
    gotta link?

Did he also have his hands cuffed behind his back?

Searched twice no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    gotta link?
    Yes, I'll PM it. Also, I was wrong. The deputy states "nobody shook him."

It had been a while since I had seen the video. I thought that there was controversy about whether he was searched or not, the SO saying they searched him and people thinking "how the hell do you hide a .45 Colt from a search?" But I was wrong!

What's more perplexing is that the man shot a deputy twice, which lead to a chase, which lead to his capture. No one thought to search him and they took him out of the cuffs?

@DocWalker: He wasn't cuffed, but if he was cuffed from the front, it wouldn't have mattered anyway for this particular incident.

Again, I'm just pretending to be a DA, I mean, Devil's Advocate here.

Yes, I'll PM it. Also, I was wrong. The deputy states "nobody shook him."

It had been a while since I had seen the video. I thought that there was controversy about whether he was searched or not, the SO saying they searched him and people thinking "how the hell do you hide a .45 Colt from a search?" But I was wrong!

What's more perplexing is that the man shot a deputy twice, which lead to a chase, which lead to his capture. No one thought to search him and they took him out of the cuffs?

@DocWalker: He wasn't cuffed, but if he was cuffed from the front, it wouldn't have mattered anyway for this particular incident.

Again, I'm just pretending to be a DA, I mean, Devil's Advocate here.
    Dying in custody is still the responsiability of the LEO's no matter how it is done. When I worked as a corrections officer we sure didn't want anyone committing suicide or killing on our shift or we would find our butts in the ringer.

Ummm, I don't think I ever said they weren't responsible for the person's life? Just that it was possible he killed himself.

It was ruled a suicide, with no evidence.

The only thing the medical examination could conclude was that it was a contact GSW to the side of the head. It doesn't say anything about who pulled the trigger, and you may have noticed the distinct lack of any claim about positive gunshot residue tests on Carter's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Is the full report available online ?
    Not that I could find, and somehow I think they are unlikely to release it.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Police: Man shot in squad car called girlfriend

http://usat.ly/SqKI3s

Now they're saying he made phone calls from inside the squad car? They found his tiny bag of pot but couldn't find his gun or his cellphone? Who trained these cops? I'm pretty sure Punky Brewster could have performed a better search. This story stinks to high hell.

Did you hear that loud clang? The sound of the gate that penetrates the Blue Wall of Silence closing.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Activist Member
    Bogus! I do not believe this for one second, and anyone who would is a fool who apparently worships the police state. These officers should be sued if this WERE TRUE because they failed to properly take possession of any weapons before he was placed into the car, even after he was supposedly searched twice. You do not search someone twice and fail to realize they are carrying a firearm. A kid in kindergarten could have found a handgun on this man.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    This is why everyone in America should support the right to film in public. Some day it might be YOU thats in need.

Tonight I am going out to film a DUI checkpoint. The ironic thing is the public tends to support the cops and denounce the filmers.
    Yup someone has the same questions about the police video that I do.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ing/57230704/1
    "These things are crystal clear from a reception standpoint and from a functioning standpoint," he said. "And then they just malfunction for three minutes when this young man lost his life? I am just not ready to accept that as the answer."

If they know exactly what he said to his girlfriend on the phone call, then it seems the in-car audio was working. That means the video was running.

Today the officer who performed the two searches but failed to find either the gun or the phone received a simple reprimand and will receive "additional training". Only behind the blue wall of silence could such an act of incompetence allow you to keep your job. What a crock!

Reprimand for Ark. cop in Chavis Carter case

http://usat.ly/QtsuiN

Cops to get retraining on how to make it look like a suicide without questions.

These cops got away with murder plain and simple.

Re: Autopsy: Death of handcuffed man in Ark. a suicide

That guy was not handcuffed. And police admitted to not searching him before he got to the interrogation room, even though he had allegedly just shot a cop.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Why does this remind me of a case here in my state where a former police chief was found in his bathtub with six gunshot wounds to the head. When asked, the new police chief said, "It's the worst case of suicide I've ever seen!!"

Yes, that actually happened.

Just like this young man, after having been searched and handcuffed behind his back, shot himself in the head. We'll never know the truth about either case.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

In the defense of the officers involved, does any report show what weapon and caliber were used in the "sucide"? (And yes,that's purposely in "air quotes"(should air quotes really be quoted with air quotes?))
    Maybe it was one of these? - -

'cause, you know, that looks like a Dirty Harry revolver, except for the size.

And maybe the cellphone was the same model that Zoolander used in the film:

Stranger things have happened....... um, right?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    In the defense of the officers involved, does any report show what weapon and caliber were used in the "sucide"? (And yes,that's purposely in "air quotes"(should air quotes really be quoted with air quotes?))
    Maybe it was one of these? - -

'cause, you know, that looks like a Dirty Harry revolver, except for the size.

And maybe the cellphone was the same model that Zoolander used in the film:

Stranger things have happened....... um, right?
    Haha, you never know! But they sure did manage to find a teeny bag of pot on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast