• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Autopsy: Death of handcuffed man in Ark. a suicide

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm not buying it, how was a guy who was handcuffed and searched twice able to place a gun against his head and pull the trigger? Based on "investigative conclusions" from the the police department involved? What happened to impartial investigations?

http://usat.ly/MHdVXg

twoskinsonemanns

I'm not buying it, how was a guy who was handcuffed and searched twice able to place a gun against his head and pull the trigger? Based on "investigative conclusions" from the the police department involved? What happened to impartial investigations?

http://usat.ly/MHdVXg

The autopsy report comes days after police released video recorded the night Carter was shot. Part of the video showed Carter being patted down and ended before officers found Carter slumped over and bleeding in the back of a patrol car as was described in a police report. Police later released additional video they said came after Carter was found.

Am I'm reading this right that they released video of before the shooting and after the shooting? But not the period of time of the shooting?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes, you are reading that correctly. They have said they do not have video during the actual incident because they had turned their lights off and the lights are linked to the camera...

twoskinsonemanns

The shame is that the People have let this kinda of system of policing corruption to grip it's self around her neck.

Jack House

Devil's advocate: It's happened before, a man in an interrogation room shot himself in the head after the police had searched him. There's video of him shooting himself.

Jack House

gotta link?
Yes, I'll PM it. Also, I was wrong. The deputy states "nobody shook him."

It had been a while since I had seen the video. I thought that there was controversy about whether he was searched or not, the SO saying they searched him and people thinking "how the hell do you hide a .45 Colt from a search?" But I was wrong!

What's more perplexing is that the man shot a deputy twice, which lead to a chase, which lead to his capture. No one thought to search him and they took him out of the cuffs? :uhoh:

@DocWalker: He wasn't cuffed, but if he was cuffed from the front, it wouldn't have mattered anyway for this particular incident.

Again, I'm just pretending to be a DA, I mean, Devil's Advocate here. :lol:

DocWalker

Yes, I'll PM it. Also, I was wrong. The deputy states "nobody shook him."

It had been a while since I had seen the video. I thought that there was controversy about whether he was searched or not, the SO saying they searched him and people thinking "how the hell do you hide a .45 Colt from a search?" But I was wrong!

What's more perplexing is that the man shot a deputy twice, which lead to a chase, which lead to his capture. No one thought to search him and they took him out of the cuffs? :uhoh:

@DocWalker: He wasn't cuffed, but if he was cuffed from the front, it wouldn't have mattered anyway for this particular incident.

Again, I'm just pretending to be a DA, I mean, Devil's Advocate here. :lol:

Dying in custody is still the responsiability of the LEO's no matter how it is done. When I worked as a corrections officer we sure didn't want anyone committing suicide or killing on our shift or we would find our butts in the ringer.

Jack House

Ummm, I don't think I ever said they weren't responsible for the person's life? Just that it was possible he killed himself.

Ca Patriot

Two things I find highly unlikely...

# 1 - A person is able to shoot themselves in the head while handcuffed.

# 2 - Police have video of before and after the shooting but not of the shooting itself.

I would like to know what type of handgun and also who the gun belonged to. I would like a seperate department or private investigators to find out how the suspect aquired the handgun.

The autposy report said the gun was "placed against the head". How is that possible. I am a pretty flexible person and I have been playing around with my hands cuffed with my revolver and I cant get anywhere near my head.

BTW - I have seen the video of the man shooting himself in the police interogation room. He was NOT handcuffed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iayes47g8Jc

Last edited:

KBCraig

It was ruled a suicide, with no evidence.

The only thing the medical examination could conclude was that it was a contact GSW to the side of the head. It doesn't say anything about who pulled the trigger, and you may have noticed the distinct lack of any claim about positive gunshot residue tests on Carter's hand.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Police: Man shot in squad car called girlfriend

http://usat.ly/SqKI3s

Now they're saying he made phone calls from inside the squad car? They found his tiny bag of pot but couldn't find his gun or his cellphone? Who trained these cops? I'm pretty sure Punky Brewster could have performed a better search. This story stinks to high hell.

Ca Patriot

This is why everyone in America should support the right to film in public. Some day it might be YOU thats in need.

Tonight I am going out to film a DUI checkpoint. The ironic thing is the public tends to support the cops and denounce the filmers.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Bogus! I do not believe this for one second, and anyone who would is a fool who apparently worships the police state. These officers should be sued if this WERE TRUE because they failed to properly take possession of any weapons before he was placed into the car, even after he was supposedly searched twice. You do not search someone twice and fail to realize they are carrying a firearm. A kid in kindergarten could have found a handgun on this man.