• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Autopsy: Death of handcuffed man in Ark. a suicide

twoskinsonemanns

This is why everyone in America should support the right to film in public. Some day it might be YOU thats in need.

Tonight I am going out to film a DUI checkpoint. The ironic thing is the public tends to support the cops and denounce the filmers.

Yup someone has the same questions about the police video that I do.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-23/patrol-car-shooting/57230704/1
"These things are crystal clear from a reception standpoint and from a functioning standpoint," he said. "And then they just malfunction for three minutes when this young man lost his life? I am just not ready to accept that as the answer."

KBCraig

If they know exactly what he said to his girlfriend on the phone call, then it seems the in-car audio was working. That means the video was running.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Today the officer who performed the two searches but failed to find either the gun or the phone received a simple reprimand and will receive "additional training". Only behind the blue wall of silence could such an act of incompetence allow you to keep your job. What a crock!

Reprimand for Ark. cop in Chavis Carter case

http://usat.ly/QtsuiN

Tucker6900

Devil's advocate: It's happened before, a man in an interrogation room shot himself in the head after the police had searched him. There's video of him shooting himself.

That guy was not handcuffed. And police admitted to not searching him before he got to the interrogation room, even though he had allegedly just shot a cop.

SFCRetired

Why does this remind me of a case here in my state where a former police chief was found in his bathtub with six gunshot wounds to the head. When asked, the new police chief said, "It's the worst case of suicide I've ever seen!!"

Yes, that actually happened.

Just like this young man, after having been searched and handcuffed behind his back, shot himself in the head. We'll never know the truth about either case.

Fallschirjmäger

In the defense of the officers involved, does any report show what weapon and caliber were used in the "sucide"? (And yes,that's purposely in "air quotes"(should air quotes really be quoted with air quotes?))
Maybe it was one of these? - -
Smallest_Revolver_1.jpg

'cause, you know, that looks like a Dirty Harry revolver, except for the size.

And maybe the cellphone was the same model that Zoolander used in the film:
zoolanderphone.png

Stranger things have happened....... um, right?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
In the defense of the officers involved, does any report show what weapon and caliber were used in the "sucide"? (And yes,that's purposely in "air quotes"(should air quotes really be quoted with air quotes?))
Maybe it was one of these? - -
Smallest_Revolver_1.jpg

'cause, you know, that looks like a Dirty Harry revolver, except for the size.

And maybe the cellphone was the same model that Zoolander used in the film:
zoolanderphone.png

Stranger things have happened....... um, right?

Haha, you never know! But they sure did manage to find a teeny bag of pot on him.

Fallschirjmäger

Not being one of the kool kids... how big is a 4 ounce bag of the magic week?
Would it be like ... 4 ounces of clipped lawn grass, or is marijuana heavier/lighter? I have some oregano in the pantry, maybe I should see just how much.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Would it be like ... 4 ounces of clipped lawn grass, or is marijuana heavier/lighter? I have some oregano in the pantry, maybe I should see just how much.

I am also going to have to plead ignorance in that regard. I was going off of some other articles I have read that mention the bag being small. Curious to see what you come up with if you go through with the oregano experiment.

WalkingWolf

While it is highly unlikely he put the gun to his head, it is possible that he discharged the firearm behind his back while handcuffed. What is the motive for the officers to murder him?

SFCRetired

While it is highly unlikely he put the gun to his head, it is possible that he discharged the firearm behind his back while handcuffed. What is the motive for the officers to murder him?

Could be one of several things: Removal of a witness against them for one or more misdeeds. Racism, although I don't know the race of either officer. Just remember that racism is not confined to Caucasians.

One other thing sticks in my mind, not knowing the locations of the gunshot wound, and that is the possibility of a ND on the part of one of the officers and this is to cover it up.

Added: Went back and read the article again. It stated the location of the wound which makes my last speculation the most probable.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Could be one of several things: Removal of a witness against them for one or more misdeeds. Racism, although I don't know the race of either officer. Just remember that racism is not confined to Caucasians.

One other thing sticks in my mind, not knowing the locations of the gunshot wound, and that is the possibility of a ND on the part of one of the officers and this is to cover it up.

Added: Went back and read the article again. It stated the location of the wound which makes my last speculation the most probable.

All of those are speculations, and a person should not be convicted on them. While there should be a very good investigation, the officers explanation while improbable is not impossible. The gun could have been in the car for a long time if the officers were lacking in vehicle inspections, so of course they would not have found a weapon in a body search.

I am highly against convicting people on emotion, or sketchy evidence, we have had too many innocent people here spend years in prison because police and the public jumped to conclusions.

SFCRetired

All of those are speculations, and a person should not be convicted on them. While there should be a very good investigation, the officers explanation while improbable is not impossible. The gun could have been in the car for a long time if the officers were lacking in vehicle inspections, so of course they would not have found a weapon in a body search.

I am highly against convicting people on emotion, or sketchy evidence, we have had too many innocent people here spend years in prison because police and the public jumped to conclusions.

Sorry, my speculations were just that; speculations. I do think that an outside agency needs to investigate this more thoroughly than has been done to date. The things that stick in my mind are the location of the wound and the position of his hands. Just seems improbable that he shot himself and that there is a lack of video surveillance just at the crucial moment.

WalkingWolf

Sorry, my speculations were just that; speculations. I do think that an outside agency needs to investigate this more thoroughly than has been done to date. The things that stick in my mind are the location of the wound and the position of his hands. Just seems improbable that he shot himself and that there is a lack of video surveillance just at the crucial moment.

I agree on a investigation from a outside agency, there is plenty to substantiate a thorough look. A look at the autopsy results may clear up a few questions. If he indeed did shoot himself behind his back there would be plenty of evidence to support it. There should be a search of the cruiser, it the officers were lax in inspecting, they will find all kinds of goodies.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Are you suggesting that the gun was already in the car? That's even more ridiculous....

Yes, this needs to be investigated by a third party team, including some average citizens. The saying goes something like if you smell crap, it's probably because you stepping in it. At the very least even if the story happened exactly as the police present it then the officer involved still needs to be fired. Whether missing it on a body search or a vehicle, it's gross negligence.

Ca Patriot

Isnt it a major tenet of law enforcement is the last person with the victim is always the first suspect ?

I can only imagine if a suspect and cop were alone in a car and the cop gets shot in the head how the investigation would be conducted differently.

Suspect : "Officers, trust me, he shot himself in the head"

SFCRetired

I dare you to take of picture of you doing that and use it for your screensaver at work.

Hasn't anyone ever told you not to dare a paratrooper to do anything? Their brains get scrambled by either the opening shock or the landing and they will do what you dare them to do.:D

How do I know he was a paratrooper? Easy, his screen name. I, on the other hand, was a Fallshirmspringer! Only for five jumps when I was a lot younger and a lot dumber.

Dreamer

4 ozs of pot is NOT a "small bag". In most states, that is "possession with intent to distribute" just based on quantity, even if it's not parceled out into separate baggies. At the very least, it would be a "felony possession" charge..

It would be enough weed to completely FILL a standard sandwich bag, bulging full.

Maybe they meant 4 grams (which would be about 1/7 of an oz...

Last edited: