Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: just joined the OC crowd

  1. #1
    Regular Member Numenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    94

    just joined the OC crowd

    I have had my CHP for a bit over a month, but this was the first time I have openly carried. To say I am surprised at the non-issue it has been so far is an understatement. As with my first time CCing I performed the Wally Walk at the one next to Regency Square Mall... Not a single comment by anyone. And now I am sitting down at my favorite mexican restaurant, Don Pedros 3. Again... nothing.

    I think I need to do this more often. =)
    Last edited by Numenor; 08-20-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling issues from a phone >_>

  2. #2
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Most of the time there would be no problems. Only one I had was at wing command off hull st. The guy asked me to CC next time I came in. He was polite but I still let him know I wouldent be back unless I could OC. Just yesterday I was at a gamestop and the guy at the register complemented my "pretty" 1911.....Thats a first for me. Even more so because it is far from "pretty" none the less it was a good experience. Enjoy



    p.s is don pedros off of hull st?
    Last edited by Tanner; 08-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    I have had my CHP for a bit over a month, but this was the first time I have openly carried. To say I am surprised at the non-issue it has been so far is an understatement. As with my first time CCing I performed the Wally Walk at the one next to Regency Square Mall... Not a single comment by anyone. And now I am sitting down at my favorite me,ican restaurant, Don Pedros 3. Again... nothing.

    I think I need to do this more often. =)
    Welcome to the OC crowd, and congratulations!

    Now time to find some of the OC get-togethers (or start one) and learn how easy it is for entire groups of people to go without comment. Or with only positive comments. It happens a lot!

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    I have had my CHP for a bit over a month, but this was the first time I have openly carried. To say I am surprised at the non-issue it has been so far is an understatement. As with my first time CCing I performed the Wally Walk at the one next to Regency Square Mall... Not a single comment by anyone. And now I am sitting down at my favorite me,ican restaurant, Don Pedros 3. Again... nothing.

    I think I need to do this more often. =)
    Welcome...

    1. I am proud of you.. You KNOW the Wally Walk so it means you actually read some of the posts here before asking the same old "Is Open carry Legal? How old to I have to be? Can I OC in a car? etc etc etc.
    2. I suggest picking up a nice audio recorder and having it on and RECORDING anytime you OC.
    3. I'd be happy to send you some OC info cards if you would like.

    Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Regular Member Numenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Most of the time there would be no problems. Only one I had was at wing command off hull st. The guy asked me to CC next time I came in. He was polite but I still let him know I wouldent be back unless I could OC. Just yesterday I was at a gamestop and the guy at the register complemented my "pretty" 1911.....Thats a first for me. Even more so because it is far from "pretty" none the less it was a good experience. Enjoy



    p.s is don pedros off of hull st?
    It's one of three Don Pedros. This one is right near my apartment (basically across the street) on Quioccasin: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Don-P...55118344538585

    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Welcome to the OC crowd, and congratulations!

    Now time to find some of the OC get-togethers (or start one) and learn how easy it is for entire groups of people to go without comment. Or with only positive comments. It happens a lot!
    Definitely want to do this some time soon. Sadly I'm going to be in NC next week so I'm going to miss the ones mentioned already. Might just have to see about setting one up myself. =)

    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Welcome...

    1. I am proud of you.. You KNOW the Wally Walk so it means you actually read some of the posts here before asking the same old "Is Open carry Legal? How old to I have to be? Can I OC in a car? etc etc etc.
    2. I suggest picking up a nice audio recorder and having it on and RECORDING anytime you OC.
    3. I'd be happy to send you some OC info cards if you would like.

    Ed
    Hahaha, actually I learned about the Wally Walk from both here and USACarry. Trust me, over the past two months since I put in for, and was issued, my CHP I've been doing a LOT of reading regarding the laws of CC and OC. As a matter of fact, I went down to the State Capitol to take a tour last week for the first time and to exercise those rights we have. =)

    I'd definitely be interested in the OC info cards. I assume you suggest the recorder for the odd chance someone calls the cops on me or so forth?

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    I assume you suggest the recorder for the odd chance someone calls the cops on me or so forth?
    More of the So Forth... In case you have someone get nasty with you, or pull a Trevon Martin.. you need a digital witness that can help you and your attorney with timeline, dialog and facts.. when it goes down.. that will all become a blur.

    But then there is the occasional comment, both good and bad that are fun to upload here for next day armchair review and comment.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    There is an Open Carry Dinner once a month and usually a Saturday breakfast.
    Watch the stickies for them and welcome.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Another welcome to OCDO and the fun of OCing.

    Aghain, nobody has mentioned it yet - I guess I have actually been elected to do it -

    Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the free VA-ALERT newsletter. Join VDCL. Stop by the VCDL table at the gunshows and say Hi to the folks volunteering.

    Block out the MLK Monday Holiday for attending Lobby Day.

    Hope to meet you at one of the meet&greet events (Saturday breakfast, monthly dinner).

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Always room for more

    Welcome aboard!

    You will find many intelligent and interesting individuals here with a wealth of information they are more than willing to share. The weekly breakfasts and monthly dinners are always interesting. Good food and good fellowship with like minded people.

    There are a few posters that may rub you the wrong way, but overall, it is a great asset for current information.

    Some posters joke with each other and it may be about something that has happened in the past, but there is usually very little animosity.

    ;>)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •