• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No one seems to OC anymore."

CCinMaine

I was at VIP today with my lady and her car in windham. I won't go in detail as to how it went but we were there for nearly 4 hours. I had a couple customers ask what I was carrying along with an employee. Later in the day the general manager saw my firearm and says, "What is that? No one seems to have the balls to carry like that anymore." I told him I do every day and there are lots of others out there. I educated him and a few other employees on gun law and gave him this site. It was a good day for OC but not so much for my wallet. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

--Mod fixed the title--

Last edited by a moderator:

CCinMaine

Re: "No one seems ******** to OC anymore."

It was a warm reception. It wasn't anything negative. He said he was big on 2a he just doesn't see OC like he used to. Is what he said. He seemed open to this site though. Even asked a second time what the URL was and wrote it down. I won't go into detail about the problems I had today but I was very pleased to see such a warm outlook on oc'ers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SPOProds

Always good to hear positive OC reports. I was in VIP in Old Town/Orono last week for an oil change and had no negative issues either. Just like you the manager asked me what I was carrying after awhile. I told him a Gen 4 G19 and he said he's never seen a Gen 4 like mine. We got into convo about how I removed the finger grooves and stippled the grip. I also had a long convo with the owner of the smoke shop on Broadway in Bangor across from Hannaford's.

I OC everday and everywhere as well. Amazing the OC image isn't up here what I thought it would be. I assumed moving up here that Maine was THEE OC state. Its a good breath of fresh air though compared to CT. Where 90% of civilians and 75-80% of LEOS believe OC is illegal. Wher the big OC probem up here(from what I can tell) is LEOs stopping OC to see ID. IN CT I had to deal with LEOs stopping me because they thought I was breaking the law. Sorry for rambling

SevenSlugs

You are right about that title!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Maine Expat

Same here.

Except for the one "You're scaring some of the customers" thing at Brewer Marden's (which ended well) the Greater Bangor Area has been very nice to OC in.

Lots of "whacha packin there" and no "why you packin" comments, though one guy on the BDN LTE comment forum said he'd bolt if he saw me in public. I also noticed that the nicer I dress, the fewer OMG looks I get.

MainelyGlock

Saw someone OC'ing at Sam's Club today in Scarborough. First time I've seen someone open carry down here in awhile. Referred him to the site so hopefully he joins!

Prophet

I have a wedding to go to up in Maine next year, while I am in town I don't foresee NOT open carrying. Always nice to hear of states with populations warm to open carriers.

CCinMaine

Saw someone OC'ing at Sam's Club today in Scarborough. First time I've seen someone open carry down here in awhile. Referred him to the site so hopefully he joins!

I don't see many people carry much around here either. I would like to see more though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CCinMaine

I have a wedding to go to up in Maine next year, while I am in town I don't foresee NOT open carrying. Always nice to hear of states with populations warm to open carriers.

Good. I hardly have any problems ever when I OC. Just be sure to unload in the car if you don't have a cwp recognized in Maine.

MainelyGlock

Hey CC, where do you usually shoot if you don't mind me asking? I was up in Windham a few days ago and found a decent pit.

SPOProds

Re: "No one seems ******to OC anymore."

I don't see many people carry much around here either. I would like to see more though.

I haven't seen one other OCer up here. Many people that offered the fact that they CC when saying I was awesome for OCing.

CCinMaine

Hey CC, where do you usually shoot if you don't mind me asking? I was up in Windham a few days ago and found a decent pit.

Last December I moved to Windham with my woman and I was told about a pit on 114 just a little bit away from 35 and 114. I think its called pompie's pit or something like that. Planning on driving by and trying to find land owner contact info to get permission. Guy who told me about it said it was gated and you had to walk in, but said "you don't need permission"... But since I'm not an idiot I'm getting a hold of the land owner first.

But I have been using a pit in Saco for a year or two on berry road. Its off of boom road right after you go over I-95 on boom road if you're coming from biddo. Guy here would leave the gate open and let us drive in. Park sideways pop the trunk and you are all set up to shoot. I love that place. Haha.

pro2340

just started oc.ing

hi all new to forum . all ways wanted a pistol just got a sig pro 2340. love it started to oc. not 100 % sure on the laws. i under that you can oc. if gun is unloaded and ammo is on the other side of body. not sure if this is right ????? live in ellsworth. thanks.

SPOProds

You can OC loaded, without a permit, when on foot.

Once you go to get in the car the pistol must be unloaded and in plain sight. You do not have to unload the mag, just remove it from the gun and clear your chamber.

boyscout399

hi all new to forum . all ways wanted a pistol just got a sig pro 2340. love it started to oc. not 100 % sure on the laws. i under that you can oc. if gun is unloaded and ammo is on the other side of body. not sure if this is right ????? live in ellsworth. thanks.

The only state that allowed open carry and required it to be unloaded was California. That state no longer allows unloaded open carry of handguns at all. Maine allows loaded open carry as the poster above describes.

I'll give you some words of wisdom though. Deciding to open carry is not a decision to take lightly. Don't start OCing until you know the laws associated with it inside and out. Know where you can and can't carry. Remember, ignorance of the law is not an excuse if you break it on accident. If you don't yet have a CCW permit, get one. Once you have your CCW you won't have to unload when you get into a vehicle, and you won't have to worry about not being able to carry in school zones. (You cannot carry in a school zone without a permit, even with a permit you cannot carry on the school property)

scott58dh

Know the Law Before you Carry a Firearm

Here's a link to Maine OC Law & other Important Links...

:arrow:; http://www.opencarry.org/me.html
:arrow:; http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf
:arrow:; http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Do yourself a BIG favor, Know b4 u go.

Do not take a Risk on what you MAY believe is the right thing to do.

Study up, Maine Constitution RKBA, Ask local ***TRUSTWORTHY*** LEO, inquire here about it with some "Experts" (Grapeshot & skidmark).

At the very least, search out the facts yourself on your computer.

Just trying to help.

Peace & RKBA 4ever !

Last edited: