• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Task force recommends campus safety improvements

Adams182

--Snip--

http://www.pba.org/post/task-force-recommends-campus-safety-improvements

Here are the 15 recommendations from the campus safety task force:

· Install a network of video cameras on and near college campuses which can be integrated into existing City of Atlanta Video Integration Command Center.

· Install and improve lighting on and around college campuses.

· Promote full utilization of student, parent, faculty and staff emergency notification and identification systems and other technology based safety tools, and the City of Atlanta’s SMART 911 system.

· Encourage and support periodic mandatory safety awareness training for students, faculty and staff.

· Establish Memoranda of Understanding between all campus police departments and Atlanta Police Department.

· Launch City of Atlanta’s Crime Stoppers program on each campus and promote the “See Something, Say Something” campaign.

· Incorporate campus officials in City of Atlanta’s bi-weekly multi-disciplinary code enforcement meeting.

· Conduct semi-annual campus community safety audits and environmental assessments in conjunction with City of Atlanta departments.

· Establish a standing city wide student safety council to maintain ongoing collaboration between college campus public safety officials and the City of Atlanta.

· Recommend that the Georgia Legislature enact a law providing campus police with the option to extend the 500 yard jurisdictional limitation in accordance with established memoranda of understanding.

· Establish a campus safety improvement fund in coordination with the Atlanta Police Foundation and Crime Stoppers.

· Enact legislation establishing campus crime free zones with increased criminal penalties.

· Further support and encourage the continuation of existing crime sweeps and other joint deployment efforts between campus police and the Atlanta Police Department.

· Establish greater coordination between MARTA police and campus police.

· Clarify campus police jurisdiction to issue city ordinances and encourage specific engagement between City and County prosecutors, the Courts and campus police departments

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That's really impressive.

Now, when do they plan to do something that will actually improve safety?

Do they even have a hint of an idea of what sorts of things actually improve safety?

stay safe.

FlyBoy276

..Now, when do they plan to do something that will actually improve safety?

:lol:

Enact legislation establishing campus crime free zones with increased criminal penalties.
Shouldn't that do it? I mean, they made a law against murder, and that NEV...oh..wait..:uhoh:

Last edited:

Jack House

To be fair, lighting should help somewhat. A well lit area is generally going to be safer than an unlit or even poorly lit area.

Safety education can help if done right. But I doubt it will be.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
To be fair, lighting should help somewhat. A well lit area is generally going to be safer than an unlit or even poorly lit area.

Safety education can help if done right. But I doubt it will be.

To be fair, the paths from the trains to the gas chambers were well-lit and had fences to prevent anyone from getting lost along the way.

Having one or two points that might have a minor impact on campus safety does not elevate the total plan to the level of even partially adequate. These studies, and the reports flowing from them, steadfastly fail to recognize the realities involved - that people are on their own until the police arrive to document the crime scene. Preventing people from being able to adequately and effectively defend against criminal predation is preventing people from being able to adequately and effectively degend against criminal predation, no matter how many sops you throw in.

stay safe.

Jack House

To be fair, the paths from the trains to the gas chambers were well-lit and had fences to prevent anyone from getting lost along the way.
Right, because better lighting will directly lead to gassing chambers. :rolleyes:

I never said it was a good plan or that they didn't miss the real issues. Only that those two suggestions can help.