• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video of OCer stopped by officer

DocWalker

Known possession of an NFA item does give an LEO RAS to conduct an investigation.

Knowing a lot of criminals carry weapons even though it is illegal should also give LEO RAS to coduct an investigation and stop, detain, and run everyone carrying a weapon.

I love the logic we can make everything into a suspicious and illegal event.

Fallschirjmäger

I can see it now,
"Halt, Citizen! I have reason to suspect that that Colt AR15 slung over your shoulder may be a machinegun based upon the fact that it looks like a military issued M16."

"Halt in the name of the law, Miscreant! I have reason to suspect that that Springfield M1A may be fully automatic based solely upon its superficial resemblance to a military issue M14."

Halt, Ruffian! I suspect that AKM may be fully automatic based upon it's resemblance to a Russian military issued AKM. Hand's up and don't move!"

"Stop in the name of the law, you brigand! I think that FNH SCAR-17 must be fully automatic because something of similar shape and color has been issued to military units."

I can't find a BSFlag big enough online, but I hope this one gives an idea.....
103520d1278011773-granatelli-k-member-any-insight-huge_bs_flag.gif

Fallschirjmäger

"Due to my training and experience ... and the fact that I'm not an idiot like the officer in the video, I can plainly see that the firearm is a GSG .22 caliber lookalike with an extended barrel."

Hell I can tell that from an undersized video, so much for the officer's vaunted "expertize."
gsg5_mp5_look_alike.jpg

Last edited:

mobiushky

Reasonable Suspicion requires that a reasonable person would have suspicion that a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity. It is not de facto criminal activity to openly carry a firearm. Even if that firearm is fully automatic. Several court cases have defined that the mere presence of a firearm does not constitute criminal activity.

Saying that he had "reasonable suspicion that the gun was fully auto" is the same as saying you have reasonable suspicion that a person is carrying Pepsi in a cup. It's not by de facto illegal to own or carry a fully automatic firearm. If the officer said he had suspicion that this person was illegally carrying a fully auto firearm, then the officer would have had to articulate what brought him to the suspicion that the carrier was not legally permitted to own a fully auto firearm. The fact that it is fully auto or not is not a criminal activity. The officer attempted to veil his stop with an invalid RAS. As soon as he told the carrier he was being detained, he has just committed unlawful arrest, unlawful search, and unlawful seizure.

The officer should be sued.

twoskinsonemanns

I have to agree there was no RAS. It is not reasonable IMHO that the guns looks is RAS of a criminal act.

This would be horrible if confirmed to be good police practice. Any OCer anytime could be detained for such a flimsy excuse.

Fallschirjmäger

If Officer Friendly had been just a bit smarter, he could have RAS that the firearm was suppressed based upon the fake suppressor covering the extended barrel. How could he be such "an expert" on fully automatic weaponry and yet be completely ignorant that suppressors are covered under the same Federal code?

He'd actually have been better off going with the, "I think that may be suppressed" idea since GSG had to have a recall on some of their .22's because the ATF thought the suppressor tube was just a bit too close to being a suppressor instead of a metal tube. EDIT: it was the SD shroud, not the carbine.. you think the officer who couldn't tell a .22LR from a 9mm knew that?

The officer missed a good chance to interact with the public, instead he just made himself look like an idjit on video. Way to go, Officer Friendly!

Last edited:

NoTolerance

Reasonable Suspicion requires that a reasonable person would have suspicion that a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity. It is not de facto criminal activity to openly carry a firearm. Even if that firearm is fully automatic. Several court cases have defined that the mere presence of a firearm does not constitute criminal activity.

Saying that he had "reasonable suspicion that the gun was fully auto" is the same as saying you have reasonable suspicion that a person is carrying Pepsi in a cup. It's not by de facto illegal to own or carry a fully automatic firearm. If the officer said he had suspicion that this person was illegally carrying a fully auto firearm, then the officer would have had to articulate what brought him to the suspicion that the carrier was not legally permitted to own a fully auto firearm. The fact that it is fully auto or not is not a criminal activity. The officer attempted to veil his stop with an invalid RAS. As soon as he told the carrier he was being detained, he has just committed unlawful arrest, unlawful search, and unlawful seizure.

Finally a sensible counter-argument! Thanks for that!

I still disagree with your general premise, but I do see where you're coming from. As we all like to say around here, IANAL. As a simple layman with a very limited understanding of the law, I can't claim to be an expert on what the intricacies are when determining what qualifies as RAS or not. In this case, the observation was that the officer thinks the firearm is a restricted firearm. I concede the act of carrying in and of itself is not a crime - so long as the person carrying is not prohibited from doing so because of a permission slip. And that's the difference here between this and what I would call "normal" open carry (for lack of a better way of naming it).

The legality of carrying a fully automatic firearm is predicated on the idea that you have permission to do so (much like carrying concealed), whereas you don't need that same permission to openly carry a non-restricted firearm. Because the firearm in question appears to be a restricted firearm, the officer investigates. He does in fact think a crime may be being committed until it becomes clear one is not, at which point the encounter and detainment ends.

Carrying Pepsi isn't illegal, so once again, that analogy doesn't quite work. But carrying an open intoxicant is illegal in many places. What if I poured apple juice into a emptied whiskey bottle and was walking down the street drinking it? Would the fact that it appeared I was consuming an open intoxicant be RAS enough to be stopped and detained while the officer determined if I was committing a crime or not?

DocWalker

I still disagree with your general premise, but I do see where you're coming from. As we all like to say around here, IANAL. As a simple layman with a very limited understanding of the law, I can't claim to be an expert on what the intricacies are when determining what qualifies as RAS or not. In this case, the observation was that the officer thinks the firearm is a restricted firearm. I concede the act of carrying in and of itself is not a crime - so long as the person carrying is not prohibited from doing so because of a permission slip. And that's the difference here between this and what I would call "normal" open carry (for lack of a better way of naming it).

The legality of carrying a fully automatic firearm is predicated on the idea that you have permission to do so (much like carrying concealed), whereas you don't need that same permission to openly carry a non-restricted firearm. Because the firearm in question appears to be a restricted firearm, the officer investigates. He does in fact think a crime may be being committed until it becomes clear one is not, at which point the encounter and detainment ends.

Carrying Pepsi isn't illegal, so once again, that analogy doesn't quite work. But carrying an open intoxicant is illegal in many places. What if I poured apple juice into a emptied whiskey bottle and was walking down the street drinking it? Would the fact that it appeared I was consuming an open intoxicant be RAS enough to be stopped and detained while the officer determined if I was committing a crime or not?

Again what is stopping an agressive LEO from detaining every OC'er to check if the weapon is stolen and that the person carrying it isn't a felon?

The LEO might just say that he has RAS due to the fact there are stolen guns on the street and he thought it might be one of them or saying the person carrying looks like a felon and we all know it is illegal for a felon to have a pistol, so I had to check him and the weapon out. LEO can stop and detain everyone if this is the bar we are willing to set.

Jack House

A full auto firearm is illegal in every state.
Nope. Try again. Federal law prohibits the manufacture and transfer of new full auto firearms. Most states mimic federal law so as their officers may enforce that law. However that is a far cry from 'every state.'

NoTolerance

Again what is stopping an agressive LEO from detaining every OC'er to check if the weapon is stolen and that the person carrying it isn't a felon?

When you can explain to me how a gun can look stolen or a person can look like a felon, I'll answer your question and accept that as something more than an argument of misdirection.

I can certainly explain to you how a gun might look like a prohibited or restricted firearm. That's the "reasonable" part in RAS.

DocWalker

When you can explain to me how a gun can look stolen or a person can look like a felon, I'll answer your question and accept that as something more than an argument of misdirection.

I can certainly explain to you how a gun might look like a prohibited or restricted firearm. That's the "reasonable" part in RAS.

I'll type slow so you can try and understand.....

An officer knows that a springfield XD45 is stolen (pick any weapon) any LAC carrying a springfield XD45 can be stopped as it might be the stolen.

An officer has never seen someone and followed them or observed them because they looked suspisous? I have been followed for miles by cops due to leaving a bar parking lot; did I do anything wrong? Nope but I guess I met some warped criteria of leaving a bar parking lot at night...I must be a DUI.

Most people see biker looking people as scary and suspect they are felons of some sort but most are not. This is not misdirection but a slipery slop of loss of freedoms.

Fallschirjmäger

Georgia
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-122
Possession of sawed-off shotgun or rifle, machine gun, silencer, or dangerous weapon prohibited
No person shall have in his possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer except as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.
- explicitly illegal. :( (Allowed with Fed tax stamp)

Last edited:

NoTolerance

I'll type slow so you can try and understand.....

We're going to start being insulting now? That's unfortunate. Because I don't agree with you, that somehow makes me less intelligent? You must live in a very lonely world, way up there in your ivory tower.

An officer knows that a springfield XD45 is stolen (pick any weapon) any LAC carrying a springfield XD45 can be stopped as it might be the stolen.

Stopped or detained? Regardless, the LAC could be stopped/detained, sure, but that would be flimsy RAS at best, unless there was other information to make the stop/detainment reasonable. Still don't see a correlation here. People get puled over when their vehicle matches the description of a crime vehicle. Is that a violation of civil rights, too?

So I'm curious: what if the MP5 turned out to be full auto after all? Is the stop, detainment, and seizure justified then?

pfries

Observed what? He observed that he was carrying an MP5 on his back and had reason to believe that it might be a fully automatic firearm. If it was, and the carrier didn't have the proper credentials, that's a crime.

Well I was observed driving today, driving without the proper credentials is illegal, it's a crime.
What RAS did the LEO have?
He saw the weapon?
He got a call from a concerned citizen?
SCOTUS has upheld that an officer cannot pull you over for merely seeing you drive; he had no reason to believe the person was committing a crime, again reasonable articulable suspicion.

nonameisgood

The carrier in the video was obviously baiting officers and intending a confrontation. Not cool. The officer handled it well, even if he was a bit of a dork. He remained professional and knew how to safely get cooperation. He should have probably said "dude, wtf, this is a knock off, not an MP5, you got ripped off."
--
I was in the dispatch of a local PD last week right after an MWAG call was dispatched. The response was equal to a shooting in progress, with 10 units including mutual aid. Description was "a black male, black t-shirt, camo or brown shorts, carrying a 2-3 foot long assault rifle". He was reported to be walking through an apartment complex parking lot near a shopping center at night. He was not suspected of a crime, but they did check businesses around the parking lot. Another resident told officers he saw the guy go into an apartment.

The department treated it like a threat, in spite of state law allowing carrying of long arms. When I pointed out that the guy wasn't breaking any laws, the attitude was that they were checking it out anyway because of what MIGHT happen. Dangerous times when law enforcement thinks they know better than lawmakers.

Baked on Grease

I'll see if I can help you, and it really is apples to apples. How about driving your car? It is illegal to drive your car without the proper paperwork and permission slip from the state. However, the cops cannot pull you over JUST to check to make sure you have the proper paperwork and permission. They have to have RAS that you ARE unlicensed before doing so, or pull you over for some other offense before they are allowed to check for papers.

Now let's move that to a Full Auto firearm. You need the proper paperwork and permission from the authorities to own or carry one. Unless the cops have RAS that it really IS unregistered or you are without the proper paperwork then they decide to pull you over just to check, based solely off a hunch in essence.

To your conceal carry scenario, that's somewhat different. If the officer observes you carrying concealed then most states give cops the ability to ask for your permit based only on the fact that you are concealing. It's written directly into the CC laws that officers have this power. However, if they don't actually see you conceal carrying ( I.E. a momentary glimpse or printing) or another form of accepted RAS (you volunteered the information that you were carrying) then they cannot lawfully demand to see your permit. But I do not believe that the NFA laws allow for local cops to demand for papers to be shown on Full Auto firearms. The cop must have RAS that the Full Auto Firearm is in violation outside of the fact that it's full auto alone... and this cop didn't even know it was full auto or not so he wasn't looking to see if it was properly registered and paperworked ( I made a Bushism!) he was fishing for RAS to ask for paperwork.

I think it's US vs Deberry, "The mere presence of a firearm, in and of itself, is not reasonable suspicion nor probable cause of a crime having been, being or about to be committed." Meaning even if it WAS a full auto he'd have to have reason to believe it wasn't properly paperworked in order to stop him. It being Full auto or not is not illegal, being unregistered or unpaperworked ( Bushisms in full swing today) is but he had no RAS for the paperwork.

EDIT: Here's another example. It's illegal for felons to carry guns at all, but does that give the officers the ability to stop anyone to ask for ID and search for warrants or felony status just because they are carrying? No, that' why I mentioned US vs. Deberry, that judge decided it is not enough to stop them just because someone might be prohibited, they have to have reason to believe that THAT PERSON they stopped is the one prohibited. Move that to Full Auto, the yahve to have reasonable suspicion that THAT ONE FIREARM is unregistered to ask for paperwork.

Or another one closer to the RAS the cop said he had. My handgun looks like a toy gun that someone has painted to look like a real gun. Does this fact that it 'looks like' it might be give him the ability to stop me and "function check" my firearm to make sure it's a real firearm and not an illegal item?

Last edited:

georg jetson

A full auto firearm is illegal in every state. The only way possession is not illegal is if the firearm is registered with the federal government and you have paid a tax and everything was approved by the BATFE. Some states also have their own laws concerning automatic weapons, and some have their own registration.

I said "at face value"... meaning you can't tell if it's full-auto by casual observation.

If an officer knows you are in possession of a fully automatic firearm he does have RAS to suspect a crime is being committed. Your defense against this is having copies of your registration with the weapon, and if you don't you might end up in a jail cell until you can show documentation that the firearm is legally possessed.

Known possession of an NFA item does give an LEO RAS to conduct an investigation.

Wrong... How exactly does the officer determine that the firearm is in fact under the NFA?

Other posts are covering all of this so I won't continue.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Since you responded to me, I'll respond back even though many others already have. The fact that you disagree with the premise does not make your argument valid. Your opinion on the matter is not settled law. This isn't an attempt to insult it's just a simple fact. That applies to my opinion as well. Opinions are not settled law.

The carrying of a "restricted" firearm is not illegal. Therefore there is no suspicion that the carrier was doing anything illegal. The point is that the LEO had to have some other information to identify that this particular person was not allowed to carry this particular firearm. Case in point, if the officer knows the carrier personally. And if he knows that the carrier does not have NFA license to own a fully automatic firearm. And if the officer sees the carrier with a fully automatic firearm. Then he has RAS to assume that there is crime being committed. OR if a friend called the police and told them his buddy is illegally carrying a fully automatic firearm and here's what he looks like. LEO drives over and sees a person roughly fitting the description of the guy. THEN he has RAS. But a MWAG call is not RAS to assume that there is, has been, or will be a crime. Therefore there is no justification of search, seizure, or detainment.

As to the issue of this sentence:

"The legality of carrying a fully automatic firearm is predicated on the idea that you have permission to do so (much like carrying concealed), whereas you don't need that same permission to openly carry a non-restricted firearm."

Simply put that is not true. You DO have to have permission to openly carry a "non-restricted" firearm in that you have to be legally able to purchase a firearm in the first place. Legally carrying a firearm openly is predicated on the foundation that you are legally allowed to purchase that firearm which leads to the ability to openly carry. Therefore, you fall into the trap of the simple act of carrying a firearm would allow RAS for search and seizure for any person. But as we all know, that has been struck down by the courts.

For this sentence:

"He does in fact think a crime may be being committed until it becomes clear one is not, at which point the encounter and detainment ends."

The assumption in this sentence is guilty until proven innocent and that stance is unacceptable in court. You cannot assume guilt until you are allayed. In fact it is quite the opposite.

The analogy of the "Pepsi" stands because carrying a fully automatic firearm is not illegal. The action of carry the firearm is not breaking the law. The position of owning a fully automatic firearm while not licensed to do so is the violation of law. Therefore the RAS would have to be directed at the owners legal capacity to own an NFA firearm. However, your analogy of the alcohol actually does break apart. You see the action of carrying an open liquor container IS illegal in most public places. The owning of the liquor is not. Therefore it would be more along the lines of the LEO stopping a person on the street who is exhibiting no signs of intoxication for carrying an open coffee thermos. Then the LEO says "from MY experience I can tell that thermos has alcohol in it." Essentially you are being stopped for no reason. Then the cop tastes the coffee and says, "Based on my training I am able to ascertain that this is not alcohol and is actually just coffee." You are showing no signs of intoxication at all and there is no RAS that you have committed a crime in carrying a thermos. Unless someone called the police and informed them that a man just poured alcohol into a thermos, etc.

The point being, that in order for a LEO to have RAS the suspicion must be linked to an actual crime. The act of carrying a NFA firearm is not a crime. It is the act of owning an NFA firearm without proper license that is the crime.

A line must be drawn somewhere. Else, we lose our rights completely.

Fallschirjmäger

NoTolerance said:
Observed what? He observed that he was carrying an MP5 on his back and had reason to believe that it might be a fully automatic firearm. If it was, and the carrier didn't have the proper credentials, that's a crime.
Um...no.
He was observed carrying a firearm. A firearm that had a VAGUE resemblance to an MP5. Hell, I could tell it was a GSG .22 caliber lookalike through a tiny fuzzy screen. It ain't that hard. It looks a Lot Less like a real H&K MP5 than a Colt 6920 looks like a Colt M4. If the .22LongRifle cartridges visible through the open sides of the magazine weren't enough of a clue for Officer Friendly, he could have read the manufacturer's name on the side.

I wonder if Officer Friendly stops
every AR,
every AKM,
every AK-74,
every FS2000,
every PS90,
every M1A,
every Styer AUG,
every SCAR,
every AR-180,
every M1 carbine,
every HK 91,
every HK93,
every Auto Ordinance Thompson M1SB "Tommy gun",
every Ruger Mini-14 (because it Could be an AC-556),
every CETME,
every FN FAL,
every Vz-58,
every SIG 550,
every SIG 556,
and
every Valmet owner.

Sorry, Officer Friendly didn't have RAS; he had no way to suspect that what he was seeing Wasn't a perfectly legal, semi-auto, lookalike copy of another weapon.

Last edited: