Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

  1. #1
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/169264

    While crews were extending lines and preparing to enter the home, a loud “pop” was heard. One firefighter from Engine-1 went down and a “MAYDAY” was called.
    This incident, however tragic, was not avoidable or preventable.
    While this may be true from the Fire Department's point of view, it is certainly not true from the gun owner's point of view.

    As responsible gun owners, in case of fire, we should:

    1. Unload all firearms that are not necessary for self defense, and/or
    2. Make sure loaded firearms are positioned to not discharge into humans, and/or
    3. Use fire resistant gun safes.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

    Yes, I agree with you that this incident, while freak, was potentially avoidable. However, for all we know, the gun may have been the homeowners primary home defense weapon and was loaded as such. Strange that only one bullet discharged when numerous others were in close proximity and did not.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-21-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Regular Member moonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    High Point NC
    Posts
    253
    That's just straight up bad luck. If someone has no children in the home there is no need to ensure that weapons designated for self defense should be unloaded.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Strange that only one bullet discharged when numerous others were in close proximity and did not.
    Two possibilities that could make this highly possible: Either the magazine was removed but a round was left in the camber, or that was the only round news worthy.

    Most ammunition if used in a way that didn't contain it would be mostly harmless, especially if all the people were shielded by objects.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    The only bullet that matters is one in a chamber. A cartridge exposed to fire that detonates outside of a chamber or other tightly enclosed area (just for completeness) is going to go !pop! with the likely result that the casing will split and the bullet still tightly gripped by the case.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    The only bullet that matters is one in a chamber. A cartridge exposed to fire that detonates outside of a chamber or other tightly enclosed area (just for completeness) is going to go !pop! with the likely result that the casing will split and the bullet still tightly gripped by the case.
    Oh,I may have been misunderstood. I get that fact. I thought the article was implying that the only round that had anything happen to it was in the chamber while the ones in the magazine were intact. That's what I thought was strange.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/169264





    While this may be true from the Fire Department's point of view, it is certainly not true from the gun owner's point of view.

    As responsible gun owners, in case of fire, we should:

    1. Unload all firearms that are not necessary for self defense, and/or
    2. Make sure loaded firearms are positioned to not discharge into humans, and/or
    3. Use fire resistant gun safes.
    Apparently the occupant was killed in the fire. He may not have had time to unload his guns. It's certainly something to think about.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  8. #8
    Regular Member Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilder, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/169264





    While this may be true from the Fire Department's point of view, it is certainly not true from the gun owner's point of view.

    As responsible gun owners, in case of fire, we should:

    1. Unload all firearms that are not necessary for self defense, and/or
    2. Make sure loaded firearms are positioned to not discharge into humans, and/or
    3. Use fire resistant gun safes.


    I don't know about anybody else but in case of fire I am going to be more concerned with getting my family and I out of the building safely than with unloading and securing all my weapons etc.

    Now that being said, I would recommend a fire resistant gun safe if you can afford one. If you can't afford one right now than save a little from each paycheck until you can.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I don't know about anybody else but in case of fire I am going to be more concerned with getting my family and I out of the building safely than with unloading and securing all my weapons etc.

    Now that being said, I would recommend a fire resistant gun safe if you can afford one. If you can't afford one right now than save a little from each paycheck until you can.
    My guns are my babies! But seriously, I agree, my family would come before any item regardless of its value.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •