• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firefighter shot by stored rifle at dwelling fire

paramedic70002

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/169264

While crews were extending lines and preparing to enter the home, a loud “pop” was heard. One firefighter from Engine-1 went down and a “MAYDAY” was called.

This incident, however tragic, was not avoidable or preventable.

While this may be true from the Fire Department's point of view, it is certainly not true from the gun owner's point of view.

As responsible gun owners, in case of fire, we should:

1. Unload all firearms that are not necessary for self defense, and/or
2. Make sure loaded firearms are positioned to not discharge into humans, and/or
3. Use fire resistant gun safes.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes, I agree with you that this incident, while freak, was potentially avoidable. However, for all we know, the gun may have been the homeowners primary home defense weapon and was loaded as such. Strange that only one bullet discharged when numerous others were in close proximity and did not.

Last edited:

moonie

That's just straight up bad luck. If someone has no children in the home there is no need to ensure that weapons designated for self defense should be unloaded.

09jisaac

Strange that only one bullet discharged when numerous others were in close proximity and did not.

Two possibilities that could make this highly possible: Either the magazine was removed but a round was left in the camber, or that was the only round news worthy.

Most ammunition if used in a way that didn't contain it would be mostly harmless, especially if all the people were shielded by objects.

Fallschirjmäger

The only bullet that matters is one in a chamber. A cartridge exposed to fire that detonates outside of a chamber or other tightly enclosed area (just for completeness) is going to go !pop! with the likely result that the casing will split and the bullet still tightly gripped by the case.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The only bullet that matters is one in a chamber. A cartridge exposed to fire that detonates outside of a chamber or other tightly enclosed area (just for completeness) is going to go !pop! with the likely result that the casing will split and the bullet still tightly gripped by the case.

Oh,I may have been misunderstood. I get that fact. I thought the article was implying that the only round that had anything happen to it was in the chamber while the ones in the magazine were intact. That's what I thought was strange.

twoskinsonemanns

While this may be true from the Fire Department's point of view, it is certainly not true from the gun owner's point of view.

2. Make sure loaded firearms are positioned to not discharge into humans, and/or

Apparently the occupant was killed in the fire. He may not have had time to unload his guns. It's certainly something to think about.

Guido

I don't know about anybody else but in case of fire I am going to be more concerned with getting my family and I out of the building safely than with unloading and securing all my weapons etc.

Now that being said, I would recommend a fire resistant gun safe if you can afford one. If you can't afford one right now than save a little from each paycheck until you can.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I don't know about anybody else but in case of fire I am going to be more concerned with getting my family and I out of the building safely than with unloading and securing all my weapons etc.

Now that being said, I would recommend a fire resistant gun safe if you can afford one. If you can't afford one right now than save a little from each paycheck until you can.

My guns are my babies! But seriously, I agree, my family would come before any item regardless of its value.