• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Acacia Park and downtown yesterday.

Hamans-gallows

Yesterday, I went with a friend to Taco Star on Wasatch. I suggested that we take a walk over to Acacia Park.

He has always been sort of intrigued by OC, but still unsure about it. He asked me "So if you get stopped by the cops, can I get in trouble too?" I told him that in light of recent events, it was extraordinarily unlikely that any police would bother us.

Well, we walked through the park, and then for several blocks through the downtown area. Of course, no one bothered us. As we were getting back to our cars, he said incredulously: "You're right, nobody gives a f***!" Then he started talking about his holster options.

However a few people in the park were concerned. Some of the bums. I noticed a few giving me the stink eye, or looking nervous. As we passed by a group of them, I heard one say "That guy's going to shoot us."

Here is my theory on the matter:

First of all, they might have thought that we were cops. OTOH, these people live in somewhat of a survival of the fittest culture. Many are petty predators, that are always sizing up anyone they see, as either predator or prey. I suspect that when they see another creature with bigger teeth and claws, they fear that it will hurt them or rob them, because that's what they would do to a weaker, lesser denizen of the street given the opportunity, and confidence of getting away with it.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
FYI, 100% of Acacia Park is within 1,000' of Palmer High School.

The Gun Free School Zones Act states: (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Title 18 U.S.C. §921(25) The term “school zone” means— (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. (26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

The GFSZA provides for some exceptions, one of which is within 1,000', but not on school property, provided you have a concealed weapons permit AND state law says it's ok to CCW within 1,000' of a school.

Don't let this scare you off from OCing here in Colorado, as many of us have made this mistake! I pays to Google Earth or Google Map your intended walkabouts to make sure you're steering clear of these dastardly un-American zones.

Last edited:

JamesB

The Gun Free School Zones Act states: (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Title 18 U.S.C. §921(25) The term “school zone” means— (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school. (26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

The GFSZA provides for some exceptions, one of which is within 1,000', but not on school property, provided you have a concealed weapons permit AND state law says it's ok to CCW within 1,000' of a school.

Don't let this scare you off from OCing here in Colorado, as many of us have made this mistake! I pays to Google Earth or Google Map your intended walkabouts to make sure you're steering clear of these dastardly un-American zones.

Nice catch on that one Since. I had forgotten about that school being there. Thanks

Hamans-gallows

i appreciate the heads up on this. I do have a CHP, so I am OK. GFSZA is a scary law indeed.

However AFAIK, this statute is almost never enforced, except as a sentence enhancer for drug dealers and the like. I don't think that anyone in CO has ever been prosecuted under this unconstitutional law.

Interesting, that when Sorensen got nicked in Acacia Park, the cops really, really wanted to nail him for something, and no one even brought up the GFSZ.

It is sad that we have 160,000 pages of Federal laws, and if you piss off the wrong person, they probably can find some felony that you have committed.

Gunslinger

i appreciate the heads up on this. I do have a CHP, so I am OK. GFSZA is a scary law indeed.

However AFAIK, this statute is almost never enforced, except as a sentence enhancer for drug dealers and the like. I don't think that anyone in CO has ever been prosecuted under this unconstitutional law.

Interesting, that when Sorensen got nicked in Acacia Park, the cops really, really wanted to nail him for something, and no one even brought up the GFSZ.

It is sad that we have 160,000 pages of Federal laws, and if you piss off the wrong person, they probably can find some felony that you have committed.

Sorensen has a CCW, so the GFSZA is moot in his case, but good catch Since for those who don't.