• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Members Of Sikh Temple Considering gun ownership

M

McX

spoke to a member there after the bad happened. he thought Church carry was prohibited. i set him straight on that. i bet there will be alot of guns, and gun owners in that Temple from now on.

Old Grump

The president of the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin had only a butter knife on hand, which he used to fight the gunman. He was killed, but his heroic actions were credited for slowing the shooter. Guns were not allowed in the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/2...me-sikhs-mulling-gun-ownership/#ixzz24DC7kT4n

A butter knife instead of the Kirpan, could have been different if he had his 10" knife on him. Their religion makes carrying a kirpan mandatory but they compromise because of peer pressure from non sikhs and people like Mayor tom Barrett. A few of the more liberal among them are calling for stricter gun laws. Fortunately I think they are in the minority the rest believe in being able to defend themselves and I will bet dollars to donuts a lot of Sikh mosques all over the country are rethinking their no gun rule right now.

MKEgal

Even in the face of overwhelming evidence that his ideas don't stop criminals from murdering innocents in "gun-free" zones...:
a practicing Sikh in Hartford, Conn. ... would rather put his faith in the legal system.
“We have a system where cops can arrive anywhere in a few minutes. In the [Wisconsin shooting] situation, the officer was there in about four minutes.”
Sure, this time officers arrived relatively quickly.
But that was still after people inside were injured & killed.
After someone got to a phone & called 911.

As for free cc classes, the offer has already been made.
Either they're not interested, or they're taking a while to decide.

ETA:
“No guns [were] allowed in the temple,” Kulbir Singh, an attendee of the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, told FoxNews.com. “Everyone knows that it’s not allowed, anywhere in the temple.”
How's that working for ya?

Last edited:

jpm84092

One Time Discount for Sikhs

As for free cc classes, the offer has already been made.
Either they're not interested, or they're taking a while to decide.
ONE TIME OFFER - The Yellow Cat will teach any Sikh who wishes to attend the UT CFP and WI CWL course held in East Troy on this coming Saturday for the fee of $5 for the UT CFP and $0.00 for the WI add on.

The UT / WI permit / license will cover all border states except the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois. And provide maximum reciprocity across the USA.

Yellow Cat Out -

bigdaddy1

Good for them! I am sad to hear about them bowing to gubment pressure and not carring their Kirpan, I hope that changes now.

kirpan.gif

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Then from IL.

Local Sikh leaders, Jackson call for ban on assault weapons

BY FRANK MAIN Staff Reporter fmain@suntimes.com August 18, 2012 5:16PM

Local Sikh leaders horrified by the recent killings at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin joined the Rev. Jesse Jackson on Saturday to call for a ban on assault weapons

MKEgal

Local Sikh leaders horrified by the recent killings at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin joined the Rev. Jesse Jackson on Saturday to call for a ban on assault weapons
Do they even realize how incredibly stupid they are?
1) "assault weapons" no longer legally exist in much of the USA, since the federal cosmetic ban expired
2) the ban was mostly on cosmetic features, not functional ones
3) no "assault weapon" (as defined in the federal AWB) was used in the temple massacre
4) laws don't stop criminals

I read an article last night saying that some people from the Oak Creek site had gone to a local gun store to ask about training. The store decided to provide free training, but obviously the people had expected to pay.

I don't understand why they would be doing that when they have been given offers both of NRA courses (for only the cost of materials) & a WI-specific cc course (for free).
(Both the Oak Creek site & the Brookfield one.)

And Nik has mentioned that he's going to try to approach the Oak Creek people sometime this week, offering the WCI course.

Last edited:

Law abider

[And Nik has mentioned that he's going to try to approach the Oak Creek people sometime this week, offering the WCI course.[/QUOTE]

Good, I did e mail Nik with the Fox link and asked him to see if he could help them. Maybe he had already contacted them. I tried to send temple members an e mail off their web site, but it is not correct.
I'll call them ans ask them to contact nick.

E6chevron

If they held a Wisconsin Concealed Carry License, they would be able to carry their "kirpan" knife at most places I can carry a loaded handgun, and a few I cannot:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/175/60

175.60(1)(j) "Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.