Thread: need some help

need some help

Hey. thanks for reading. I am looking at getting my first carry gun/home defense gun. Up until now I have been lurking... I did sone looking around my local shops and have settled on a S&W m&p. My local shop has them for about $350 with a rebate because I am military. I've decided on 9mm since this is my first carry gun and I'll be at the range a fair amount. Here's where I need guidance, Full frame or Compact? I plan to OC with some CC mixed in if I am around family that might object to seeing guns (grandma).

need some help

Compact frames are usually lighter and easier to conceal. On the other hand, a full frame generally provides a better grip. In the end the choice is yours, try them both out and buy the one you like the most. The best thing about guns is that you can always buy more Overall, your choice of gun (M&P) and caliber are solid. I personally wouldn't change my carry routine around my family. When I first started carrying my parents were slightly opposed, now they don't mind a bit.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Get the full frame and open carry. Your grandma will still love you. Happy shooting.

Re: need some help

I actually own both the full size frame and compact in 9mm. I generally use my compact for cc, but it is possible to cc with the full size as well. I didnt realize I could do it until I started trying appendix carry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

You can CC just about any firearm comfortably if you buy a good holster. I used to CC a G21 .45 in a crossbreed supertuck without issue. It actually was more comfortable then oc after I got used to it.

I'd say full frame.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CCinMaine; 08-21-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    There is a size in between the compact and full size M&P's. It is the one with the 4.25" barrel. I have two in this size; one is a 9mm Pro Series and one is a standard .40S&W. Both are great shooters. My 9mm Pro is a tack driver. If you go with an M&P, giver serious consideration to the installation of an Apex Tactical USB (Ultimate Safety Block). This little gem will completely remove the all of the grittiness in the trigger's pre-travel, resulting in a very smooth trigger feel. Well worth the cost and installation is simple. Most shops which sell this part will put it in for you while you wait.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I have actually noticed that if break in the trigger, it will lose its grittiness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

Sounds like a soild choice to me.

Smaller guns are easy to carry harder to shoot. I carry a full size 45 P90 any time you can wear untucked shirt or wear a jacket you can CC a full size.

It is when you have to dress up a bit with out a jacket that it becomes harder.

In a suit you can CC a full size 44 mag if you want.

You well need several differant holsters to meet your need.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

thanks all

Ended up picking up the compact (with night sights) for all of $400 new after my rebate. Feels great in my hand and I figure if I want the extra capacity, I can run the full length magazines. Put about 100 rds down range so far with not so much as a hiccup. the take up in the trigger has a bit of grit but the sear is a pretty clean break from what I can tell. Mine shot dead on out if the box. I'm very pleased with my purchase and can't wait to take it on my first opencarry excursion.

again, thank-you all for your help