• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

need some help

Seif5034

Hey. thanks for reading. I am looking at getting my first carry gun/home defense gun. Up until now I have been lurking... I did sone looking around my local shops and have settled on a S&W m&p. My local shop has them for about $350 with a rebate because I am military. I've decided on 9mm since this is my first carry gun and I'll be at the range a fair amount. Here's where I need guidance, Full frame or Compact? I plan to OC with some CC mixed in if I am around family that might object to seeing guns (grandma).

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Compact frames are usually lighter and easier to conceal. On the other hand, a full frame generally provides a better grip. In the end the choice is yours, try them both out and buy the one you like the most. The best thing about guns is that you can always buy more :D Overall, your choice of gun (M&P) and caliber are solid. I personally wouldn't change my carry routine around my family. When I first started carrying my parents were slightly opposed, now they don't mind a bit.

Last edited:

JohnMoses

Get the full frame and open carry. Your grandma will still love you. Happy shooting.

11B2O

I actually own both the full size frame and compact in 9mm. I generally use my compact for cc, but it is possible to cc with the full size as well. I didnt realize I could do it until I started trying appendix carry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CCinMaine

You can CC just about any firearm comfortably if you buy a good holster. I used to CC a G21 .45 in a crossbreed supertuck without issue. It actually was more comfortable then oc after I got used to it.

I'd say full frame.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is a size in between the compact and full size M&P's. It is the one with the 4.25" barrel. I have two in this size; one is a 9mm Pro Series and one is a standard .40S&W. Both are great shooters. My 9mm Pro is a tack driver. If you go with an M&P, giver serious consideration to the installation of an Apex Tactical USB (Ultimate Safety Block). This little gem will completely remove the all of the grittiness in the trigger's pre-travel, resulting in a very smooth trigger feel. Well worth the cost and installation is simple. Most shops which sell this part will put it in for you while you wait.

11B2O

I have actually noticed that if break in the trigger, it will lose its grittiness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Firearms Iinstuctor

Sounds like a soild choice to me.

Smaller guns are easy to carry harder to shoot. I carry a full size 45 P90 any time you can wear untucked shirt or wear a jacket you can CC a full size.

It is when you have to dress up a bit with out a jacket that it becomes harder.

In a suit you can CC a full size 44 mag if you want.

You well need several differant holsters to meet your need.

Seif5034

thanks all

Ended up picking up the compact (with night sights) for all of $400 new after my rebate. Feels great in my hand and I figure if I want the extra capacity, I can run the full length magazines. Put about 100 rds down range so far with not so much as a hiccup. the take up in the trigger has a bit of grit but the sear is a pretty clean break from what I can tell. Mine shot dead on out if the box. I'm very pleased with my purchase and can't wait to take it on my first opencarry excursion.

again, thank-you all for your help