• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question about stocks.

Doc_Smith

I have been reading the law over and over trying to understand it. My question is what is the definition Virginia uses in regards to a folding stock? I'm referring to one on a rifle. Take the G36. That has a folding stock. Because it folds over onto the weapon itself. But what about a AR15 variant? The stock does not fold. It collapses. Or retracts. Would this be legal?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
For a quick answer they are both legal. My search of the Virginia Code did not turn up any statutes related to stocks on a firearm. I have personally had both while living in VA an both types are frequently sold at gun shows.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I think he's talking about the loaded in forbidden localities without a permit.

Ah, this one:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Doesn't a CHP (yes, I know you hate them Peter) exempt you from the above?

Last edited:

tkd2006

He could be asking about the folding stock with regards to an assault rifle, ie needing the extra form of ID to prove citizenship.

Doc_Smith

Im asking about the legality of a rifle with a collapsing stock instead of a folding in regards to open carry. I know most people here dont try to advocate open carrying a rifle but I cant make heads or tails of it. The law states its unlawful to have a rifle with more than 20 rounds or a folding stock but it says nothing about a collapsible stock.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
For a quick answer they are both legal. My search of the Virginia Code did not turn up any statutes related to stocks on a firearm. I have personally had both while living in VA an both types are frequently sold at gun shows.

Also.. It is unlawful to possess, sell, transfer, or import any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding 12 rounds.

Doc_Smith

Ok so when I was reading it earlier I missed the second half of the law. The part that states who it applies to.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

I have a valid concealed carry permit. But that also begs the question. Since I have one does that mean I am not limited to a magazine that carries 20 rounds or less for my pistol? Even if its openly carried?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I have a valid concealed carry permit. But that also begs the question. Since I have one does that mean I am not limited to a magazine that carries 20 rounds or less for my pistol? Even if its openly carried?

If you have a CHP, you are exempt from all of the requirements in that statue including the limit on the number of rounds in the magazine regardless of whether you are carrying concealed or openly.

Doc_Smith

This is what happens when I try to research law when Im at work. I miss things. One last question though about the CCP. I am a Virginia resident but also a member of the U.S. Army stationed here in Virginia. My drivers license and my CCP have two different addresses. Does this make my CCP void/illegal?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This is what happens when I try to research law when Im at work. I miss things. One last question though about the CCP. I am a Virginia resident but also a member of the U.S. Army stationed here in Virginia. My drivers license and my CCP have two different addresses. Does this make my CCP void/illegal?

No it does not. In fact, all you you have to show with your permit would be your military ID and that would be sufficient as identification.

"The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. Failure to display the permit and a photo identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer shall be punishable by a $25 civil penalty, which shall be paid into the state treasury. Any attorney for the Commonwealth of the county or city in which the alleged violation occurred may bring an action to recover the civil penalty. A court may waive such penalty upon presentation to the court of a valid permit and a government-issued photo identification. Any law-enforcement officer may issue a summons for the civil violation of failure to display the concealed handgun permit and photo identification upon demand."

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

It's a CHP and no it's perfectly legal.

I've gotta go over to the baking section now

Last edited:

Doc_Smith

Well then I was lied to by a cop (go figure). I do appreciate everyone's help with my inane questions. I need to start reading more when I have the time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well then I was lied to by a cop (go figure). I do appreciate everyone's help with my inane questions. I need to start reading more when I have the time.

If you want good legal advice...ask a Cop, then do exactly the opposite, especially if it's a Newport News Cop. They're tied with Fairfax on the stoopid scale.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Cops are unfortunately not sound sources of legal advice as Peter has already noted...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was a Newport News cop.. They are our friends arent they?! They would never lie to us... Right?:eek::eek:

Well Doc, there are good cops, bad cops, stupid cops, smart cops, corrupt cops, honest cops.....you get the idea.

Most of them on this site are here to stir up trouble and as a rule, pretty stupid...but we have some non LEO members like that too, so you can't condemn the whole bunch.

Police Officers are not lawyers and often don't know what the law is, but are more than happy to advise you if asked.

The two worst places to get legal advice are:

1. Police
2. The Internet.

You've looked for it on both. Fortunately, we have cite to authority rule as well as competent legal opinions when needed.
You still need to verify it yourself.

Last edited: