• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fine print on sign question

jeeper1

Twice now I have run across this sign.
OMC_no_guns_notice.jpg

The words "except as otherwise permitted by law" across the bottom, to me at least, means that I can still carry either as OC or CC.
Am I right or wrong?

EMNofSeattle

I doubt it, that property owner probably doesn't even know regular citizens CAN legally OC. It really depends upon the attitude of the property owner. I'd call him personally and ask for clarification or just not go there. or if you do go there carry concealed and don't say anything about having a gun.

It's like a Godfather's Pizza in Port Orchard has a .300 (d) sign in the restaurant (firearms prohibited in this liqour licensed establishment) problem is, Godfather's doesn't sell hard liqour for consumption on-premises, and their store is not off limits to those under 21. so their sign is not legally binding or enforceable under law cited on the sign, but hey! I get the message guns are not welcome in your restaurant, so fine i'll go eat at the pizza factory across the parking lot. I may not OC yet, but I have already started dollar voting.

jeeper1

The signs are posted on the front doors of the Olympic medical centers 2 annexes in Sequim.
I saw the first one 8 days ago when I went in for my A1C test and again today when I went to the Podiatrist. I asked the doctor when the signs went up and he didn't even know they were there. He does not use the front door since his office is next to the back door which is not posted (I checked).

jeeper1

Actually the exception was part of the original printing of the sign, it is just highlighted.

EMNofSeattle

Technically RCW 9.41.300 only restricts the carry of firearms in a public mental health hospital. Some hospitals claim they are private property and thus trespass firearm offenders from the premises. How this works for public hospitals like Harborview in Seattle I don't know. As no section of the RCW or the WAC allows for it.

so technically you're lawful walking into there with a gun. How that works out as far as being trespassed or asked to leave I don't know, tread with care

EMNofSeattle

Technically RCW 9.41.300 only restricts the carry of firearms in a public mental health hospital. Some hospitals claim they are private property and thus trespass firearm offenders from the premises. How this works for public hospitals like Harborview in Seattle I don't know. As no section of the RCW or the WAC allows for it.

so technically you're lawful walking into there with a gun. How that works out as far as being trespassed or asked to leave I don't know, tread with care

well I didnt see the posts IDing this place as a public hospital. I know public hospitals do that all the time,attempt to restrict guns. I can't find any legal authority for a public hospital to do that. But it's been done. If you're wiling to be a test case then go right on in.

EMNofSeattle

The same way it worked out when ex-Mayor Nichols tried to tresspass people lawfully carrying firearms on Seattle City property.....

Well it's apparently illegal under preemption statutes. So I suppose what one should do is make an appointment with a doctor there (so you have legitimate business at the hospital) then show up OCing. They'll either A) allow you in with no harassment whatsoever, in which case good they know the law. B) they'll ask to seize your firearm and secure it in a lock box. You can either refuse and leave, or comply and demand a property receipt (to prove they took custody of your gun) or they will C) call security who will inform you to lock it up, refuse to lock it up, and ask for a written notice of trespass explaining your lawful carry as the reason you were expelled. Take the property receipt or trespass warning to court and sue the hospital for violation of preemption under RCW 9 41 300

these are the ways to deal with it

jeeper1

As a FYI I covered my XD40 both times as I always do when I go to those 2 places. I use my mobility scooter to go everywhere locally because I don't like driving my pickup unless I am going more than 15 miles each way.

EMNofSeattle

reguarding this subject... does anybody know if Group Health and their facilities are considered public or private?

group health is a customer owned health cooperative. They are not owned by any unit of government nor a municipal corporation or special taxing district. Therefore they would be considered private under the law.

Grim_Night

the reason I ask is because they have no signs anywhere on their property and I can't find it in writing on web sites owned and operated by group health. but the employees say that guns (OC or CC) are not allowed. this is an issue for me since they provide my medical services and I am usually in at least one of their facilities once a week or more. I don't drive a car and I must take a bus so I can't leave a weapon locked up in my car and it's pointless to leave it at home... They do however provide someplace for their consumers to lock up their weapons on the property but the consumer does not have the only key to said lock so if this option was used, the gun owner would no longer be in posession of the weapon...

EMNofSeattle

the reason I ask is because they have no signs anywhere on their property and I can't find it in writing on web sites owned and operated by group health. but the employees say that guns (OC or CC) are not allowed. this is an issue for me since they provide my medical services and I am usually in at least one of their facilities once a week or more. I don't drive a car and I must take a bus so I can't leave a weapon locked up in my car and it's pointless to leave it at home... They do however provide someplace for their consumers to lock up their weapons on the property but the consumer does not have the only key to said lock so if this option was used, the gun owner would no longer be in posession of the weapon...

insist on a property receipt if you must turn in your firearm to enter the premises. The recept should indicate what time they took custody of the firearm, who owns the firearm, serial number, and make and model. And make sure it is signed by someone authorized to sign for a hospital. (security guards usually are) make sure there's nothing just "going missing"

hermannr

Took the wife to the medical clinic, then the lab (public hospital, North Valley, Tonasket) then back to the clinic (Wenatchee Valley Medical Clinic in Tonasket). No signs, OC'd my CZ85, not a peep from anyone.

rapgood

The Olympic Medical Center, located primarily in Port Angeles, has not been a "hospital" for many years. As a financial-political maneuver, when it was a hospital, the (then) administrator, Al Remington, determined that the county would enjoy significant financial benefits by demoting the hospital to a community medical center (or some such similar status that does not rise to the status of "hospital"). My understanding is that that is the legal nature of the entity today. At the time of the change, Olympic Memorial did not have a financial interest in what was then the Sequim Medical Clinic. As I recall, but do not know as a fact (although I think that I did at one time), Olympic Memorial acquired some form of interest in the clinic at a later date.

How that may affect the preemption by the state of firearms laws, I don't know. Whether Olympic Memorial actually now owns the clinic, or whether there is some other status of the relationship, is not something I have tracked over the years. If it is still private, then they likely have a lawful right to prohibit the carrying of firearms on the premises. That said, the "add-on" disclaimer to the Brady sign leads one to the logical conclusion that Olympic Memorial has enough of an ownership interest to make the facility subject to the preemption statute.

I believe that the Olympic Medical Center is still governed by a publicly elected Board of Commissioners.

Last edited: