Thread: Did He Do Something Wrong?

Did He Do Something Wrong?

Is it just me, or did he do something wrong in this video? He loads his revolver, he pulls the hammer back, then points it--what seems--towards his face.

Refer to about the :40 mark.

I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Yeaaaaahhhhh... I probably wouldn't have pulled back the hammer while it was pointed at my face even if my fingers were nowhere Near the trigger. Fingers slip, mechanical things go wrong.

Activist Member
    That's what we would call in the automotive world....."Seized Head" meaning.....YOUR NOT USING your noggin!
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

If you look closely you will see from the angle of his hands and arms it is not pointing toward him. It is off to his right pointing toward the camera.

What he is demonstrating is indexing the hammer down on an empty chamber on a single action revolver. Load one, skip one, load the other 4.

When you see the gun pointed toward the camera on his right you can see the empty chamber ready to rotate into the hammer down position.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    If you look closely you will see from the angle of his hands and arms it is not pointing toward him. It is off to his right pointing toward the camera.

What he is demonstrating is indexing the hammer down on an empty chamber on a single action revolver. Load one, skip one, load the other 4.

When you see the gun pointed toward the camera on his right you can see the empty chamber ready to rotate into the hammer down position.
    I would hate to have watched him staring down the barrel and the hammer going into the down position.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

I carry SA revolvers and I NEVER cock one to index it. But then the practice of a empty chamber had a lot to do with rimfire ammunition that was used during early black powder cartridge, and with cap and ball. The Remington 1858 was designed to have the hammer rest between the cylinder in notches. Center fire cartridges are safe with the firing pin resting between the cartridge heads, nowhere near the primer. If he had made a mistake with indexing it could have resulted in a horrible disaster. A lot of NDs happen from improper indexing.

I had seen it several times shooting in SASS where someone indexed wrong, and dropped a hammer on a empty chamber. I shot cap and ball in SASS so indexing was easy. While manning the loading table if anybody did what he did they would have been disqualified. If he is going to index he should use a dowel rod cut to even with the barrel on a empty chamber. To check for proper indexing the dowel will not fully insert, then there is a cartridge under the hammer.

BTW you can just load five rounds without skipping one, and just lower the hammer from half cock and it will result in empty chamber under the hammer.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 08-22-2012 at 04:19 AM.