• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did He Do Something Wrong?

Beretta92FSLady

Is it just me, or did he do something wrong in this video? He loads his revolver, he pulls the hammer back, then points it--what seems--towards his face.

Refer to about the :40 mark.

[video=youtube_share;NYj1OVDtIwY]http://youtu.be/NYj1OVDtIwY[/video]

Fallschirjmäger

Yeaaaaahhhhh... I probably wouldn't have pulled back the hammer while it was pointed at my face even if my fingers were nowhere Near the trigger. Fingers slip, mechanical things go wrong.

DWCook

Activist Member
That's what we would call in the automotive world....."Seized Head" meaning.....YOUR NOT USING your noggin!

carracer

If you look closely you will see from the angle of his hands and arms it is not pointing toward him. It is off to his right pointing toward the camera.

What he is demonstrating is indexing the hammer down on an empty chamber on a single action revolver. Load one, skip one, load the other 4.

When you see the gun pointed toward the camera on his right you can see the empty chamber ready to rotate into the hammer down position.

Beretta92FSLady

If you look closely you will see from the angle of his hands and arms it is not pointing toward him. It is off to his right pointing toward the camera.

What he is demonstrating is indexing the hammer down on an empty chamber on a single action revolver. Load one, skip one, load the other 4.

When you see the gun pointed toward the camera on his right you can see the empty chamber ready to rotate into the hammer down position.

I would hate to have watched him staring down the barrel and the hammer going into the down position.

WalkingWolf

I carry SA revolvers and I NEVER cock one to index it. But then the practice of a empty chamber had a lot to do with rimfire ammunition that was used during early black powder cartridge, and with cap and ball. The Remington 1858 was designed to have the hammer rest between the cylinder in notches. Center fire cartridges are safe with the firing pin resting between the cartridge heads, nowhere near the primer. If he had made a mistake with indexing it could have resulted in a horrible disaster. A lot of NDs happen from improper indexing.

I had seen it several times shooting in SASS where someone indexed wrong, and dropped a hammer on a empty chamber. I shot cap and ball in SASS so indexing was easy. While manning the loading table if anybody did what he did they would have been disqualified. If he is going to index he should use a dowel rod cut to even with the barrel on a empty chamber. To check for proper indexing the dowel will not fully insert, then there is a cartridge under the hammer.

BTW you can just load five rounds without skipping one, and just lower the hammer from half cock and it will result in empty chamber under the hammer.

Last edited: