• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Break Time ! ---

SFCRetired

And that is precisely why this old man would dearly love to see more young women armed and able to defend themselves. A protection order is nothing more than a piece of paper that a violent spouse or significant other is going to ignore when it suits them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
And that is precisely why this old man would dearly love to see more young women armed and able to defend themselves. A protection order is nothing more than a piece of paper that a violent spouse or significant other is going to ignore when it suits them.

I think it incites some folks to be the recipient of such a PO; I have no data collected showing that, just a gut feeling.

EMNofSeattle

yahoo commenter said:
You want to see how fast they can track down a cell phone's location? Call in a terrorist threat against a high-ranking politician, and pull out a stopwatch. :p

I know there's nothing funny about a woman getting killed by an abusive ex, but that comment didn't get me to chuckle, probably because it's true

That's the problem though, the neighbors told the cops they didn't hear or see anything. I think it's time to make a mental note, stupid or willfully blind people who can't hear anything make bad neighbors. I cannot and do not expect my neighbors to help me out in a home invasion, if I hear something suspicious outside the house I may well dial 911 and call in the cavalry, but if an intruder tries to break into my house he's going up against either .38 special or 12Gauge #2 Buckshot if he spends enough time creeping around outside for me to open my long gun cabinet.
I think a CPL is the best "order of protection" a woman can have, just MHO

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
SCOTUS has spoken five (5) different times, asserting that the police have no duty to protect any specific person, and in at least one case that the police have no duty to actually respond to a 9-1-1 call.

That the vast majority of people do not know about this is tragic in both senses of how that word is used here.

You are on your own until the police arrive to document the scene and interview any potential witnesses. If they happen to arrive while to problem is still occurring, and if they decide to intervene, you may count yourself as exceedingly fortunate.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You are on your own until the police arrive to document the scene and interview any potential witnesses. If they happen to arrive while to problem is still occurring, and if they decide to intervene, you may count yourself as exceedingly fortunate.

stay safe.

Cops can only do so much .... why we want a large police force is a mystery .. they are almost always there after the fact. People should just learn to live without relying on a police presence that is not reliable.