Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cary Street Mini-Mart to require employees to have CHPs

Cary Street Mini-Mart to require employees to have CHPs

Just watching Chanell 11 news on the armed robbery of the Cary Street Mini-Mart. The owner says he will now require all employees to have CHPs.

I was very surprised that the news had not solicited some sort of response from RPD to remind people that they should just do what the robber says and call 9-1-1 if they are still alive after it is all over.

While I have a lot of concerns about whether or not employees will have the wherewithall to act appropriately as opposed to providing a source of handguns for criminals, I understand why the owner feels as he does tonight. We need to follow this to see if he retains this new requirement.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just watching Chanell 11 news on the armed robbery of the Cary Street Mini-Mart. The owner says he will now require all employees to have CHPs.

I was very surprised that the news had not solicited some sort of response from RPD to remind people that they should just do what the robber says and call 9-1-1 if they are still alive after it is all over.

While I have a lot of concerns about whether or not employees will have the wherewithall to act appropriately as opposed to providing a source of handguns for criminals, I understand why the owner feels as he does tonight. We need to follow this to see if he retains this new requirement.

stay safe.
    Seems to work for Beverly Hills Jewelers.

I hope the owner knows his employees DO NOT NEED a CHP to carry concealed at work.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Seems to work for Beverly Hills Jewelers.

I hope the owner knows his employees DO NOT NEED a CHP to carry concealed at work.
    But considering the neighborhood, it might not be a bad thing for his employees to carry to and from work. Yes, OC would be my personal preference not only because I do not like IWB or dealing with cover garments, but because I believe there is a deterrent effect.

Hey, ProShooter - there's an opportunity for a group class out there.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

http://www.nbc12.com/story/19331070/stor

Now he is changing policies, a sign at the Cary Street market says no customer can cover their face inside the store. He is also now requiring all employees to have a license to carry a concealed weapon.
    stay safe.

----Allahpundit

1+
    A much better option would be to tell his employees they are allowed to carry a firearm at work if they wish. However, requiring them to get a CHP is foolish, imho.

I've known many employeers that allowed their employees to carry at work, some required the firearm to be concealed, many didn't care whether the gun was concealed or not and others required the gun to be oc'd but NONE of the employees were require to get a state permissin slip.

A few (the larger companies) of the employeers required a training class for those that wished to carry which the employeer paid for, all informed the employees the firearm was to protect human life not property.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    1+

A few of the employeers required a training class for those that wished to carry which the employeer paid for.
    Excellent point Marco.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    The most important idea is that if you are going to carry a gun, to get training...what they do with the certificate and whether they apply for the permit is secondary.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I have a call in to the owner now.
    There are some really interesting possibilities to discuss.

I just got off of the phone with the owner.

He's a decent fellow and now knows his employees don't need a permit in the store.

To his credit, he is concerned about his people handling firearms safely.

I've been working on a plan I'll get into later that involves his employees getting safety training if they don't want a permit, or the full blown course if they do.

The owner likes the idea so more to come on this. There are others involved but they can talk about it when they're ready.

I know I'm waiting to hear what comes of this!!

I have spoken to the store owner, and we will be providing some firearms safety training for his employees. I'm supposed to do an interview with Ch. 6 news here shortly as a follow up story for the 11pm news.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I have spoken to the store owner, and we will be providing some firearms safety training for his employees. I'm supposed to do an interview with Ch. 6 news here shortly as a follow up story for the 11pm news.
    Kudos to you for providing the service. They will be receiving excellent instruction.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Kudos to you for providing the service. They will be receiving excellent instruction.
    I'll be doing video of it and following the progress of the employees.

My guess is that most if not all employees will get a permit eventually. That's beside the point because the owner and employees know they don't have to have one.

With a permit or without, they'll at least have the basics down.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Reporter and camera crew just left. Watch Ch. 6 at 11pm.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Im looking forward to this. Hope the news dosent make it all out to seem like a bad idea.

Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIAS View Post
    Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.
    Welcome to the site Elias!

I just sent you a Private Message.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIAS View Post
    Welcome aboard, Elias!

I'm happy to help in any way that I can.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

I suspect it hasn't escaped Elias's attention that requiring that staff obtain a CHP lets him narrow his employee candidate pool to those who can pass a criminal background check without his having to pay for an investigation. Private investigations are notorious for being shoddy and incomplete, and don't address some of the areas asked about in a CHP application.

I also think that it would be a good idea to require as a condition of employment that (at least some) employees OC while they are on the job, and that it not always be the same individuals.

I am sure that he could find someone who would offer a group discount on training, perhaps somebody who prefers to be paid in BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    I

I am sure that he could find someone who would offer a group discount on training, perhaps somebody who prefers to be paid in BBQ!
    Lord....don't start that. I don't want to have to find where he's hiding every time I need to video.

If he is offering BBQ ill apply to work at the store!!!! But only if I can OC. Not interested in having to CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    If he is offering BBQ ill apply to work at the store!!!! But only if I can OC. Not interested in having to CC.
    That's another of those insider jokes Tanner

That's another of those insider jokes Tanner
    SOOOOOOOOOOO..... we isent offering BBQ as compensation??? How does one pay tax on BBQ?
    I figured it was some kinda inside joke but it sounds like a good idea none the less. <---sarcasim

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    SOOOOOOOOOOO..... we isent offering BBQ as compensation??? How does one pay tax on BBQ?
    I figured it was some kinda inside joke but it sounds like a good idea none the less. <---sarcasim
    I'll tell you later. Let's stay on topic for this one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast