• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cary Street Mini-Mart to require employees to have CHPs

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just watching Chanell 11 news on the armed robbery of the Cary Street Mini-Mart. The owner says he will now require all employees to have CHPs.

I was very surprised that the news had not solicited some sort of response from RPD to remind people that they should just do what the robber says and call 9-1-1 if they are still alive after it is all over.

While I have a lot of concerns about whether or not employees will have the wherewithall to act appropriately as opposed to providing a source of handguns for criminals, I understand why the owner feels as he does tonight. We need to follow this to see if he retains this new requirement.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just watching Chanell 11 news on the armed robbery of the Cary Street Mini-Mart. The owner says he will now require all employees to have CHPs.

I was very surprised that the news had not solicited some sort of response from RPD to remind people that they should just do what the robber says and call 9-1-1 if they are still alive after it is all over.

While I have a lot of concerns about whether or not employees will have the wherewithall to act appropriately as opposed to providing a source of handguns for criminals, I understand why the owner feels as he does tonight. We need to follow this to see if he retains this new requirement.

stay safe.

Seems to work for Beverly Hills Jewelers.

I hope the owner knows his employees DO NOT NEED a CHP to carry concealed at work.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Seems to work for Beverly Hills Jewelers.

I hope the owner knows his employees DO NOT NEED a CHP to carry concealed at work.

But considering the neighborhood, it might not be a bad thing for his employees to carry to and from work. Yes, OC would be my personal preference not only because I do not like IWB or dealing with cover garments, but because I believe there is a deterrent effect.

Hey, ProShooter - there's an opportunity for a group class out there.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
good-people.jpg

Marco

1+
A much better option would be to tell his employees they are allowed to carry a firearm at work if they wish. However, requiring them to get a CHP is foolish, imho.

I've known many employeers that allowed their employees to carry at work, some required the firearm to be concealed, many didn't care whether the gun was concealed or not and others required the gun to be oc'd but NONE of the employees were require to get a state permissin slip.

A few (the larger companies) of the employeers required a training class for those that wished to carry which the employeer paid for, all informed the employees the firearm was to protect human life not property.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a call in to the owner now.
There are some really interesting possibilities to discuss.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just got off of the phone with the owner.

He's a decent fellow and now knows his employees don't need a permit in the store.

To his credit, he is concerned about his people handling firearms safely.

I've been working on a plan I'll get into later that involves his employees getting safety training if they don't want a permit, or the full blown course if they do.

The owner likes the idea so more to come on this. There are others involved but they can talk about it when they're ready.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have spoken to the store owner, and we will be providing some firearms safety training for his employees. I'm supposed to do an interview with Ch. 6 news here shortly as a follow up story for the 11pm news.

Kudos to you for providing the service. They will be receiving excellent instruction.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Kudos to you for providing the service. They will be receiving excellent instruction.

I'll be doing video of it and following the progress of the employees.

My guess is that most if not all employees will get a permit eventually. That's beside the point because the owner and employees know they don't have to have one.

With a permit or without, they'll at least have the basics down.

Last edited:

ELIAS

Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.

Welcome to the site Elias!

I just sent you a Private Message.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Welcome aboard, Elias!

I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

architect

I suspect it hasn't escaped Elias's attention that requiring that staff obtain a CHP lets him narrow his employee candidate pool to those who can pass a criminal background check without his having to pay for an investigation. Private investigations are notorious for being shoddy and incomplete, and don't address some of the areas asked about in a CHP application.

I also think that it would be a good idea to require as a condition of employment that (at least some) employees OC while they are on the job, and that it not always be the same individuals.

I am sure that he could find someone who would offer a group discount on training, perhaps somebody who prefers to be paid in BBQ!