• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cary Street Mini-Mart to require employees to have CHPs

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I

I am sure that he could find someone who would offer a group discount on training, perhaps somebody who prefers to be paid in BBQ!

Lord....don't start that. I don't want to have to find where he's hiding every time I need to video.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
SOOOOOOOOOOO..... we isent offering BBQ as compensation??? How does one pay tax on BBQ?
I figured it was some kinda inside joke but it sounds like a good idea none the less. <---sarcasim

I'll tell you later. Let's stay on topic for this one.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.

Welcome! Congrats on making the decision to keep you an your employees safe! I wish you the best of luck!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi, guys I'm the owner of Cary Street Mini Mart. Just to clarify, I do know that my employees are not required to have a CHP but the point is for them to take a safety class. My apologies, I should have been more specific. Thanks to ProShooter. With his help they will have the training they need if they choose to carry a firearm.

GDBaum

Hello, all. This is my first post on the Opencarry forums along with Elias. I'm his employee that was working at the Mini Mart when it was robbed. Coincidentally, he and I had been discussing how I had wanted to purchase my first handgun for a month or so before the incident. After the robbery he was kind enough to recommend a good gun store. I purchased a 9mm Taurus, and will be OC at work from here on out.

To set minds at ease, I'd like to make it clear that while this is the first handgun I've personally owned I grew up around all manner of firearms. I will still be one of the employees taking the CHP training as I believe that one can never have too much experience or training when it comes to guns.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site GD!

We're here to support you, not criticize. I think Elias pretty much put any question about the employees being unqualified, to rest.

I don't think anyone has mentioned joining VCDL yet, but I encourage it.
There is a monthly OC Dinner in the Richmond area that all of you are welcome to attend as well as a usual Saturday Breakfast.

Both will be listed in the stickies.

I'll probably stop by tomorrow to get acquainted.

Last edited:

Tanner

Welcome to OC. Attend the breakfasts, lunches, and other events. As a realitive newbie myself i can say without doubt that this is the right place to be. Learn the law, ask questions, and consider protecting yourself at all times. Not just at work. I hope to meet you and ELIAS at one of the meetings.

GDBaum

Thanks Peter.

From reading around the site a bit, I haven't seen anyone who would have a knee-jerk reaction to new gun owners. I suppose I wanted to clarify since I'm the only employee other than Elias that will be OC before the training course.

Also, Richmond's channel six just aired their story which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread. I watched it streaming live but I'm sure it will be on their page soon for anyone else interested in seeing it.

PistolPackingMomma

I am majorly impressed. Most store owners throw up a "No weapons" sign and think that will do the trick, so the fact that Elias is being realistic and proactive in the defense of his business and employees is damn admirable! Way to exercise your rights and refuse to be a victim! If I were a local, I'd definitely make sure to spend some money at your store, Elias.

Carry on being a fine example to other business owners!

~Just had a thought...since most businesses put up "No Weapons" signs, perhaps the Mini Mart could put up a sign that says something along the lines of "Employees are armed and trained"? "This location protected by Smith and Wesson"? Something like that?

Marco

Welcome to the site and glad to see you are taking the safety of your customers, self and your employees seriously.