• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking weapon at Tacoma court.

Grim_Night

What's bringing so many people in contact with the Court System to begin with where they have to go to the Courthouse?

small claims court, traffic court, jury duty, restraining orders and anti harrasement orders, county clerks office, law library, witness or audience member for a trial, child custody cases, family law... the list goes on... and that's not even including all the people that work at the tacoma/pierce county court house... hell... even had to go to the 2nd floor of the court house just to apply for or renew your CPL lol

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
even had to go to the 2nd floor of the court house just to apply for or renew your CPL lol

No longer in the courthouse, you go across the street to the LESA building, no weapons check-in, take a number and wait your turn....

I have a letter into the Sheriff's Dept, let's see if they ignore me...

carolina guy

I accompanied a friend to the Tacoma municipal court today, and wanted to share my experience.
I was OC, and my friend was CC. Total time for check-in was about 30-40mins. Checkout was 15-20min.
During check-in I was asked for full name, DOB, and ID. I provided my first and last name. I declined on the DOB, and stated that I wanted to finish my business. The officer stated that he felt that I did not have any business with the court, and that I was just testing their procedures. He asked why I placed tape over the serial number of my gun. I replied to the effect that I was curious if they would take it off. I was allowed entry, and finished my business. Upon exiting, I was given my weapon back unloaded and slide locked back. The tape had been removed from the serial #. The officer asked me to put it in my pocket and not reload until I was in my car. I asked the officer to place it in my holster, and he did. He handed me the magazine and told me to put it in my pocket. At one point he mentioned my CC permit. At no point was I asked, nor did I state that I had a CC permit. That information was obtained via the serial# on my weapon.
Later I had a brief interaction with a TPD officer on the street. OC was not an issue, and was not addressed.
I did audio record all interactions.

What is the current take on serial#'s being used to obtain information about a person?

Why do you think they researched the serial # to get your CC Permit? You did give them your name...is it that much of a stretch for them to do a look-up on your permit using your name??

As far as an "illegal search" on your gun that you gave them to hold for you...I think you might have absolutely nothing there. Would be about the same as you throwing the police your keys to park your car, and then be surprised that they "looked around" a little before they got out and moved some paper around on the dashboard to see your VIN and run it. You gave them possession of your weapon, and I would guess they ran the serial number to check if it was stolen, or even just to piss you off. But...IANAL. :)

Last edited:

carolina guy

but hey...just to boost my post count a bit...

I kinda doubt you would like the pistol "check" around here...it is just as likely to be put in the evidence locker and you get a ticket for bringing it to the court in the first place. But, this is the People's Republic of NC.

Vitaeus

9.41.300 excerpt

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The legislature gave two choices, I doubt the intent was to give security the option to investigate anything. The lock box and key certainly don't provide anything except privacy, the second choice shouldn't either.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Just to let you all know, I have an email going back and forth with one of the Deputy Prosecuting Attorneys on the matter.

My first email I was told they were unloading it for "Safety." My reply to that was, what are they doing with the weapon that makes it unsafe? I also asked several more questions and am waiting on the reply.

GoGo and I do believe that once they have it in their possession they are running the serial numbers. When you visit someone in jail they run you for "priors" and if you come up hot, you will be arrested. I would assume they run the serial, if it comes up stolen, you better have some proof that you bought it legally.

I will post more as I get a reply....

EMNofSeattle

Just to let you all know, I have an email going back and forth with one of the Deputy Prosecuting Attorneys on the matter.

My first email I was told they were unloading it for "Safety." My reply to that was, what are they doing with the weapon that makes it unsafe? I also asked several more questions and am waiting on the reply.

GoGo and I do believe that once they have it in their possession they are running the serial numbers. When you visit someone in jail they run you for "priors" and if you come up hot, you will be arrested. I would assume they run the serial, if it comes up stolen, you better have some proof that you bought it legally.

I will post more as I get a reply....

That's why I just file down my serials before turning in my gun at the courthouse.......

any word from the prosecutor on whether removing the tape constitutes a search for which consent or RAS is required though? I would think the court deputy needs some kinda proof to pull he tape off his serial

Jeff Hayes

Someone correct me if I am wrong but if the officer removed the tape and ran the serial number would that not be an unlawful search. I would think they would need a search warrant to remove the tape.

One question I would have is do they unload an officers firearm or only non Leo firearms? If they are only unloading non Leo firearms what makes the non Leo firearm different.

Do they run the serial numbers on Leo firearms.

Freedom1Man

Monroe Court house I know the only problems I've had there is that they claim that the lockers are for LEOs only and didn't want to let me lock up my guns.

Snohomish county court house 'requires' ID and makes you (me at least) take your guns on and off outside.

EMNofSeattle

Someone correct me if I am wrong but if the officer removed the tape and ran the serial number would that not be an unlawful search. I would think they would need a search warrant to remove the tape.

One question I would have is do they unload an officers firearm or only non Leo firearms? If they are only unloading non Leo firearms what makes the non Leo firearm different.

Do they run the serial numbers on Leo firearms.

I would imagine so, I mean police departments don't keep weapons in the arms room loaded for instance. I mean reading the statute I see nothing that would restrict the ability to "safe" your weapon while they lock it up, however what concerns me more is the pulling of the tape off the serial. pulling the tape has nothing to do unloading the firearm.

However considering the cops didn't force you to come with a firearm to courthouse, could the state argue that since you willingly provided a gun to them they could inspect the serial number? and could the fact that a "normal reasonable person" wouldn't specifically obstruct the serial to a non-stolen firearm then wouldn't covering it be RAS?

I think you oughta request that the prosecutors send that in to the Attorney General's office for review.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Of course you may be arrested for intimidating a public official when they give you back your firearm and put the magazine of your unloaded gun in your pocket.....

more to come....