• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg, VA - open carry and my plan to educate this town (with your help)

mbhudson

So let me first say this may be long winded and if you will stick with me, I hope you'll agree and contribute so any way...

Hi my name is Mark and I have been open carrying in and around Lynchburg for about 4 years now. I have had many positive and a few negative experiences that have led me to decide that as an open carrier and advocate, I should be willing to accept some responsibility for the education of the people around me. After a walk this morning and conversation with another guy who did not know he could open carry in VA, it became clear to me that it's time to act on those feelings.

I was walking downtown this morning and passed a store that had a sign that refers to the police and this guy stops me and says hey that sign would be perfect for you. I responded to him with a laugh and said thanks but I'm not a cop. He drew back and with a mild shock says but you're carrying a gun to which I said yes sir you can carry a gun in VA. He says well yeah I guess so with the right permit so I slow myself down a bit and explain to him that open carry is legal in VA and you do not need a permit to do so and I gave him an open carry info card he read it and with a smile said I thought you had to have a permit. So we talked for a few and parted ways leaving with a smile he said thanks for the info.

The point to this story for me was that I had encountered yet another person in my town that had no idea he could carry a gun in VA without seeking permission, so as I continued to walk I started to think how do people not know this why is this not talked about in places other than sites like this one, and what can I do to help educate people in my area on their rights? I already carry when I go out which isn't that often I guess and I do talk to friends and family about it fairly often but what about the people around Lynchburg? So now getting to the point.

I'm aware that there are occasional open carry dinners in the area that to my understanding have had meager results. No offense intended to those have been there; I tried to make one and just couldn't myself but it seems that it would be much easier to get more participation if we had a regular type of thing going on and not just a Sunday lunch/dinner. I've had very good experiences on my OC walks and just while moving around town so here is my plan for the future. I am committing to myself for now and others if you wish to join to leave my house once a week with the intention to open carry in a deliberate manner at a place that will present a chance at talking to someone about their right to carry.

I'm not entirely sure what that even looks like at the moment, but I'm thinking walks downtown or Rivermont or a local park etc. and maybe a lunch or dinner while doing so at the moment. My only for sure company will be my wife and that's the purpose for this post; I hope that more of you will consider joining us as I believe it is a "the more the better" type of thing. I think that the more of us there are carrying the greater our chances of being able to educate those around us, and wouldn't we all be safer if Lynchburg were known as a town where people were packing, as well as tell our reps that we like our rights and want to keep them.

I'm asking you to join me on a walk/dinner/lunch whatever it turns out to be. I will post again with a new topic of where I'm going and what I'm doing the day or two before or if you're interested in getting together or have an idea, pm me and I'll give you my number and we can talk about it. I hope to get to know more of you soon and that we can join together in making Lynchburg an open carry town. Thanks for your time; responses and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Generally speaking, "If you post it they will come" works. It's just a question of how many will come. As you have learned, there are a few folks in the area who see OCing and educating others about the fact that OCing is legal as a priority in their life. So, how do you find like-minded individuals and get them to show up?

The best answer I know is that you just keep plugging away. The NoVa and Richmond area folks all started out with one person with an idea and one other who showed up to see what it was all about. They kept at it without worrying about how many others did or did not show up to swell the ranks. Now both groups need to be mindful of whether or not the place they want to meet up at can handle the numbers.

All that to encourage you to keep at it. If you post it they will come.

Now, as for posting it -- you need to understand that perception on the internet can only come from reading what you write and how you write it. You do not need to be a Pulitzer Prize winner, but if you have a grammar-nazi wife and you know she needs to go over anything you put together before it sees the light of day, then unless it is a warning of impending flood or fire let her do her magic before you post.

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member
I read what you wrote. I understand where you are coming from but not sure where deliberate manor is.

I think you might consider your comments about not coming to the OC dinners that have been arranged.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome mbhudson! As you stated we do have occasional organized OC lunches and dinners and they have a decent turnout (usually around 10 or so with as many as 20). When I orgainize them I go through the various Lynchburg threads including the regular report thread and send private messages to nearly anyone who has shown any activity here in the past year or more and also try to give at least a week's notice so folks have some heads-up about the occasion.

Despite not having the highest turnouts at these particular lunches and dinners there are probably 10 folks I can name off the top of my head who I see regularly who OC all over the city and happily give out information about OC (and CC as asked). Heck on Monday alone 3 of us met for dinner and we had the chance to share the news of OC and CC to an older black woman and her son who were interested in knowing what was required to carry and how they could get their CHP. This type of interaction occurs with many of us regularly although we don't always take time to sit down and report it, because it's a common occurrence. People of all shapes, sizes, races and political beliefs see us OC and ask questions that we willfully entertain. The 10 or so that I know don't include the many that I run across occasionally that I've never seen before who happen to OC regularly, but have never heard of OCDO or VCDL. I do what I can to fill them in, but they aren't always the type that need or want a "support group". They're just out there living life and doing their own thing.

Many of us regulars have been quite busy this summer, but perhaps it's time for us to schedule another OC lunch or dinner. Since you're concerned that our turnout has been meager I hope I can count you and your friends as attendees for the next one. I hope to see you there!

Last edited:

mbhudson

Welcome mbhudson! As you stated we do have occasional organized OC lunches and dinners and they have a decent turnout (usually around 10 or so with as many as 20). When I orgainize them I go through the various Lynchburg threads including the regular report thread and send private messages to nearly anyone who has shown any activity here in the past year or more and also try to give at least a week's notice so folks have some heads-up about the occasion.

Despite not having the highest turnouts at these particular lunches and dinners there are probably 10 folks I can name off the top of my head who I see regularly who OC all over the city

thanks for the input jmelvin I guess maybe Im the one who has just been out of the loop so to speak. I did not realize that you guys were getting together or that the oc dinners had even a 10 person turnout. For some reason I dont see others open carrying much at all but I dont spend a lot of time in town either. I will definitely make every effort to be at the next dinner. I had no intent to offend you and others in their efforts to gather people or have dinners etc. My purpose is only to explain my take on things in lynchburg inform others of what I intend to do to change things and invite others to do so with me. I hope that people understand and I would love to see some of you out there with me that is all. Thanks again

davidmcbeth

Banned
99.9% of our population dont have any clue what laws they are subject to ... your education goals will not be met because people don't care...people who do care are the 0.1% who carry already.

Who knows, you may get that % up to 0.1001% ... good luck. And expect that most of those who do listen will be looking not to carry but to outlaw open carry.

Leave them ignorant is my viewpoint...

Keep the faith brother!

Last edited:

mbhudson

keep the faith ?

99.9% of our population dont have any clue what laws they are subject to ... your education goals will not be met because people don't care...people who do care are the 0.1% who carry already.

Who knows, you may get that % up to 0.1001% ... good luck. And expect that most of those who do listen will be looking not to carry but to outlaw open carry.

Leave them ignorant is my viewpoint...

Keep the faith brother!
so let me be sure I understand you fill a message with negativity and how educating people wont work ????? and then tell me to keep the faith what kind of faith is that ?
I think your wrong just to be clear I believe that people are tired of the way we are being taken advantage of by our government and want to know their rights more with every passing day.
Take a look at youtube there are videos all over of people learning their rights and standing up for them remember AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY history has proven such
so why come on here and discourage someone from doing a good thing ????????????????????? I WILL NOT BE DISCOURAGED

love4guns

So let me first say this may be long winded and if you will stick with me, I hope you'll agree and contribute so any way...

Hi my name is Mark and I have been open carrying in and around Lynchburg for about 4 years now. I have had many positive and a few negative experiences that have led me to decide that as an open carrier and advocate, I should be willing to accept some responsibility for the education of the people around me. After a walk this morning and conversation with another guy who did not know he could open carry in VA, it became clear to me that it's time to act on those feelings.

I was walking downtown this morning and passed a store that had a sign that refers to the police and this guy stops me and says hey that sign would be perfect for you. I responded to him with a laugh and said thanks but I'm not a cop. He drew back and with a mild shock says but you're carrying a gun to which I said yes sir you can carry a gun in VA. He says well yeah I guess so with the right permit so I slow myself down a bit and explain to him that open carry is legal in VA and you do not need a permit to do so and I gave him an open carry info card he read it and with a smile said I thought you had to have a permit. So we talked for a few and parted ways leaving with a smile he said thanks for the info.

The point to this story for me was that I had encountered yet another person in my town that had no idea he could carry a gun in VA without seeking permission, so as I continued to walk I started to think how do people not know this why is this not talked about in places other than sites like this one, and what can I do to help educate people in my area on their rights? I already carry when I go out which isn't that often I guess and I do talk to friends and family about it fairly often but what about the people around Lynchburg? So now getting to the point.

I'm aware that there are occasional open carry dinners in the area that to my understanding have had meager results. No offense intended to those have been there; I tried to make one and just couldn't myself but it seems that it would be much easier to get more participation if we had a regular type of thing going on and not just a Sunday lunch/dinner. I've had very good experiences on my OC walks and just while moving around town so here is my plan for the future. I am committing to myself for now and others if you wish to join to leave my house once a week with the intention to open carry in a deliberate manner at a place that will present a chance at talking to someone about their right to carry.

I'm not entirely sure what that even looks like at the moment, but I'm thinking walks downtown or Rivermont or a local park etc. and maybe a lunch or dinner while doing so at the moment. My only for sure company will be my wife and that's the purpose for this post; I hope that more of you will consider joining us as I believe it is a "the more the better" type of thing. I think that the more of us there are carrying the greater our chances of being able to educate those around us, and wouldn't we all be safer if Lynchburg were known as a town where people were packing, as well as tell our reps that we like our rights and want to keep them.

I'm asking you to join me on a walk/dinner/lunch whatever it turns out to be. I will post again with a new topic of where I'm going and what I'm doing the day or two before or if you're interested in getting together or have an idea, pm me and I'll give you my number and we can talk about it. I hope to get to know more of you soon and that we can join together in making Lynchburg an open carry town. Thanks for your time; responses and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:lol: Glad to see someone else in my town that cares for oc-ing such as myself. Lynchburg has its share of OCers but most of the people I run into know nothing of this website or the vcdl.. If you set something up I will try my best to make it. Most lunches are held on a Saturday which I think is acutally a busy day for most at least for me it is. Perhaps you could shoot for a Sunday afternoon?? Also I have been doing OC hikes on the AT and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Last time out I had 22 people show up and our presence there was very postive by other hikers. One female we ran into along the trail said she didnt know you could carry in a national park and now she will OC all the time because she solo hikes. Hope to see you soon

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
MBHudson I'm sure it will be good to have you around as another active OCer in Lynchburg. If any of us can be of any help please feel free to let us know. I'll certainly do what I can to answer questions and provide guidance as much as I can. If you haven't joined VCDL or signed up for their e-mail alerts let me highly recommend that you do here: http://www.vcdl.org/ (Look at the bottom of the webpage for the place to enter your e-mail address to receive the alerts.)

Also if you can make it, every Martin Luther King Day in January the Virginia General Assembly has Lobby Day. VCDL organizes a plan for what has been a pretty large contingent of firearm owners and carriers to break up into groups and go chat with each and every legislator (or their legislative assistant) in the Virginia General Assembly. This is a good time to also meet your own legislators and speak with them personally about the laws you'd like to see passed.

mbhudson

:lol: Glad to see someone else in my town that cares for oc-ing such as myself. Lynchburg has its share of OCers but most of the people I run into know nothing of this website or the vcdl.. If you set something up I will try my best to make it. Most lunches are held on a Saturday which I think is acutally a busy day for most at least for me it is. Perhaps you could shoot for a Sunday afternoon?? Also I have been doing OC hikes on the AT and along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Last time out I had 22 people show up and our presence there was very postive by other hikers. One female we ran into along the trail said she didnt know you could carry in a national park and now she will OC all the time because she solo hikes. Hope to see you soon

i would like to know when your taking another hike for sure and ill be posting about a walk and or lunch tonight also for sunday i think

mbhudson

MBHudson I'm sure it will be good to have you around as another active OCer in Lynchburg. If any of us can be of any help please feel free to let us know. I'll certainly do what I can to answer questions and provide guidance as much as I can. If you haven't joined VCDL or signed up for their e-mail alerts let me highly recommend that you do here: http://www.vcdl.org/ (Look at the bottom of the webpage for the place to enter your e-mail address to receive the alerts.)

Also if you can make it, every Martin Luther King Day in January the Virginia General Assembly has Lobby Day. VCDL organizes a plan for what has been a pretty large contingent of firearm owners and carriers to break up into groups and go chat with each and every legislator (or their legislative assistant) in the Virginia General Assembly. This is a good time to also meet your own legislators and speak with them personally about the laws you'd like to see passed.

I did not know that and yes I am comfortable with that level of involvment

half_life1052

Checking in. There are more than a handful of us in Lynchburg. I am always armed when not at work (well there are a few times like when I am playing photographer at a school function). My workload is calming down now so I would be interested in more weekend activities. Maybe another cookout? I hosted last time and I can tell you these guys can eat some ribs (love4guns I am looking at you :lol:)