• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My dad gifting me his two revolvers...

punisherprice

How does one transfer firearms to another as a gift? What should i expect to pay in fees to transfer? I was reading around on this and and heard some crazy stuff like you dont need to transfer anything but a bill of sale between two parties and what not. Id like to hear from someone who has actually completed a transfer. Thanks.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

After Cursory examination of Nevada law as well as checking the gun law maps both here on opencarry.org and the Brady Campaigns website, I can find no laws regarding private sales in Nevada. Federal law allows for the gifting of handguns if both parties reside in the same state. (18.44 USC)
As long as both you and your pa live in the State of Nevada there is no need to transfer a firearm through an FFL and you will pay no fees.

Bills of sale are technically optional. and in the case that your father is the original purchaser of the guns and that fact you know him personally you'll probably be fine without one. If you were buying/selling from someone you don't know I'd recommend asking to see the other party's ID and fill out a bill of sale, but in your case you'll probably be fine.

If you and your father reside in different states, you can either A) have your father bring the pistols to your state and transfer them with a form 4473 and background check at a licensed gun shop (FFL holder) or B) your father may ship them from an FFL in his state to one in your state. in such a case any fees paid are up the gun dealer.
I have dealt in third party sales for firearms before in Washington State.

*nothing above constitutes legal advice and I am not an attorney

Last edited:

CowboyKen

If your father lives in Nevada he hands you the firearms, end of story (you are a Clark County resident so you are required to take any handguns to Metro to have them registered).

If he lives in another state they must be shipped to an FFL. FFL fees range from $10.00 to $35.00 and then there is the $25.00 Brady fee to the state.

Ken

jdholmes

... B) your father may ship them from an FFL in his state to one in your state. in such a case any fees paid are up the gun dealer.
I have dealt in third party sales for firearms before in Washington State.

This part is not accurate.

There is no law stating that the father cannot ship ship the gun to the FFL himself. Some FFL's will cooperate with this, some won't.

As long as it is shipped properly, the FFL in Nevada can accept it from a private party. That should save you a few bucks.

Last edited:

jdholmes

And that part, in most cases, is not accurate. A private party, if they abide by the carrier's terms of service, must ship handguns via overnight air. FFLs can legally send handguns via US Mail between each other. Many times the savings in shipping costs will be more than the transfer fee charged by the sending FFL. :).

In my case it saved me $35. This was shipping from an individual in Ohio.