• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does the Bible tell churchgoers to disarm?

Haz.

God clearly teaches thats its up to every individual to protect themselves, their family and their property, and to arm themselves to be able to do so. If I lived in the States where it was legal to OC or CC, I would never be without my firearm, day or night.

As many know here the general population of Australia has been dissarmed and criminals are having a field day.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
When you go to church I think you should leave your gun in your car, locked in the trunk.

You will probably never need it.

And if you ever do, you will want to exit the church fast anyway, gun or no gun.

The Sikhs have a new problem -- all the nutjobs are confusing them with Arabs.

So the Sikhs need armed security, at least one guard, discretely armed, near the altar, to watch over the priests.

If I were setting in church and bullets started flying through the air I would be going toward the gun fire, not away from it. I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have killed someone who was trying to kill men, women, and children and I did nothing to try and stop them. At the very least in such a situation, you could draw fire until everyone was able to escape. My gun will stay on my side, just as it does 24/7, and if I am ever in that situation I will be able to help my brothers and sisters, not abandon them.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

No, the Bible says the exact opposite. There are many passages in the Bible that discuss this very situation. God gave us free will and knew long before we were here that we would need the means to protect ourselves because there would be good and evil. All one needs to do is read their Bible and they would know the answer to such a question. This country was founded by men who believed in the Bible more than anything else, even though some had different views than others on how one should interpret it.

scott58dh

What Would John (Wayne) Do?

[video=youtube;xXU-_WbBZiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXU-_WbBZiU[/video]

Here's a link to a similar discussion on OC.o & check out my reply (#6) on this issue.

:arrow:;http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?105561-This-is-going-to-rile-and-ruffle-feathers!

Security guard who stopped shooter credits God
December 10, 2007, source;CNN

Jeanne Assam, a volunteer security guard at New Life Church, speaks to reporters on Monday.

"It seemed like it was me, the gunman, and God," said Jeanne Assam, describing her feelings as she confronted a man who charged into her Colorado Springs church Sunday firing a weapon.

Assam, a church security guard with law enforcement experience, fired her own weapon at the invader and stopped his attack, police say.

:arrow:; http://articles.cnn.com/2007-12-10/us/colorado.shootings_1_gunman-security-guard-casings?_s=PM:US

Last edited:

OC for ME

An observation more like. You gave the impression that your preacher didn't want you carrying in their church, that is until you threatened to take your money elsewhere. At this point, you stated that your preacher recanted. This basically means that your preacher sold out his flock for pittance.

His concerns may have been misplaced, but his reason for changing the policy, at least for you, completely nullifies that. Since he'd still have the concerns, but saw green and stopped caring.

Is that really the kind of church you want to attend?
"Sold out his flock for pittance?" You sure do like the cliches. Another back-handed swipe at churches? At religion? At the believers?

Not all churches are the same. The firearms policy at my church is not a faith and religion discussion but a liberty discussion.

I will not speak to any other churches but my church is run by a committee of church members (Session) elected by the congregation and not the preacher. He preaches and we members run the church. He is a lib and he don't like guns, no big deal. He has no authority to deny anyone from carrying on church property. I told him explicitly that no guns = no money as a reminder to him as to who runs that church. Told him to keep his nose out of the business of the church where firearms are concerned and stick to preaching and doing preacher his work. Our preacher serves at the pleasure of the congregation. Preachers I suppose likely do have some obligation to be above the money thing but the Session is not the preacher are not so encumbered.

Jack House

How was that a swipe at religion, churches, believers or anyone other than the preacher at hand? The statement had a clearly defined subject and was not a generality.

You are making excuses and defending your church. But at the end of the day, the preacher is still more concerned about money than the safety of his flock. This suggests that the preacher is more concerned about money than saving souls. You state that your church's congregation elected the preacher. By electing the preacher, the congregation is endorsing everything he stands for. Which from what you tell me, is bring in more money for the church.

You are not painting a pretty picture of your church or congregation.

OC for ME

How was that a swipe at religion, churches, believers or anyone other than the preacher at hand? The statement had a clearly defined subject and was not a generality.

You are making excuses and defending your church. But at the end of the day, the preacher is still more concerned about money than the safety of his flock. This suggests that the preacher is more concerned about money than saving souls. You state that your church's congregation elected the preacher. By electing the preacher, the congregation is endorsing everything he stands for. Which from what you tell me, is bring in more money for the church.

You are not painting a pretty picture of your church or congregation.
Hiring a preacher does not always equate to the church endorsing everything the preacher stands for? The preacher was hired to preach and do preacherly things, not negotiate the congregations policy on firearms. He knew this coming in. He is not responsible for the "safety" (physical) of his flock while we are on church property the Session is. A good preacher can bring in new congregants. Why do you think churches hire good preachers. A bad preacher will run off congregants. The light bill don't get paid by God they get paid by a full sanctuary every Sunday. God just gets us the dude we need to draw in the "paying customers."

The preacher gets paid to do his job, the job he was hired to do. The terms of employment are quite clear.

Haz.

Hiring a preacher does not always equate to the church endorsing everything the preacher stands for? The preacher was hired to preach and do preacherly things, not negotiate the congregations policy on firearms. He knew this coming in. He is not responsible for the "safety" (physical) of his flock while we are on church property the Session is. A good preacher can bring in new congregants. Why do you think churches hire good preachers. A bad preacher will run off congregants. The light bill don't get paid by God they get paid by a full sanctuary every Sunday. God just gets us the dude we need to draw in the "paying customers."

The preacher gets paid to do his job, the job he was hired to do. The terms of employment are quite clear.

I had to laugh. I heard of a minister who once said when asked to explian the trinity, "I dont understand it, but I preach in, in fact I preach what ever they wanna hear!"

45acpForMe

I had to laugh. I heard of a minister who once said when asked to explian the trinity, "I dont understand it, but I preach in, in fact I preach what ever they wanna hear!"

The way I explain the Holy Trinity is that first we can not fully understand everything about God since we are not God so there will always be some leap of faith needed to understand as much as we can and believe in faith that He is what He is and does what He says. Secondly I relate it to relationships. I am my fathers son, my brothers/sisters brother, my childs dad and my nephews uncle. I am one person but have different personas depending on who and how I am relating to. So God became man to relate to us directly human to human but he was still 100% God and 100% man. He was tempted in every same way we are but was able to resist because he was still 100% God.

The old testament refers to the Angel of the Lord which some believe was a preincarnated Jesus and not just some angel working for God. I kind of wonder if the Angel of the Lord is really an angel, 100% angel and 100% God like Jesus is to us humans. Then again the trinity is Father, Son and Holy Spirit so I don't know how my thoughts would map into that scenario.

With some tongue in cheek some wonder if the Trinity can be better explained by a example like, John Moses Browning represents the Father, he formed and poured his spirit into the 1911 which would represent Jesus, and I guess the discharged bullets could represent the Holy Spirit as they fly over the face of the earth. :lol:

Haz.

The way I explain the Holy Trinity is that first we can not fully understand everything about God since we are not God so there will always be some leap of faith needed to understand as much as we can and believe in faith that He is what He is and does what He says. Secondly I relate it to relationships. I am my fathers son, my brothers/sisters brother, my childs dad and my nephews uncle. I am one person but have different personas depending on who and how I am relating to. So God became man to relate to us directly human to human but he was still 100% God and 100% man. He was tempted in every same way we are but was able to resist because he was still 100% God.

The old testament refers to the Angel of the Lord which some believe was a preincarnated Jesus and not just some angel working for God. I kind of wonder if the Angel of the Lord is really an angel, 100% angel and 100% God like Jesus is to us humans. Then again the trinity is Father, Son and Holy Spirit so I don't know how my thoughts would map into that scenario.

With some tongue in cheek some wonder if the Trinity can be better explained by a example like, John Moses Browning represents the Father, he formed and poured his spirit into the 1911 which would represent Jesus, and I guess the discharged bullets could represent the Holy Spirit as they fly over the face of the earth. :lol:

G-Day Mate. Oh, to live in Virginia.
The word trinity isn't even mentioned one time in the entire bible. The word Godhead is mentioned three times, once in Acts, once in Romans and again in Colossians. Most churches only teach a load of BS to keep people in fear, bondage, and to keep the money rolling in!
Christ is a member of the Godhead, not the trinity.

"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." (Acts 17:29).

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" (Romans 1:20).

"For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." (Colossians 2:9).

Believe it or not, there are three distinct and separate beings, each with their own body, called God. This most churches wont tell people.

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one" (1 John 5:7). This proves them to be three separate persons or they could not be three witnesses. Three persons cannot be one except in unity. One person cannot be three persons or three persons cannot be one person in any sense. Any number above one implies plurality, and any number of persons can be one in unity.

It is three witnesses for bearing witness to the Sonship of Jesus is the whole subject of 1 John 5:5-11, 13, 20.

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are" (John 17:11);

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me" (John 17:21-23).

The disciples were many, but Jesus asked the Father to keep them "one" as He and the Father were, 'One' in unity. Not of the disciples were inside each other or in one another and Jesus never asked the Father to do this.

Both God and man demand more than one witness to confirm truth. Any set of three witnesses could not be just three parts of one person for this would not be accepted in any court and would not meet the demands of God Himself, but they must be three separate persons to confirm anything.

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one" (1 John 5:8). He definately said there were three separate persons and two separate things that bare witness in both Heaven and Earth. The Spirit bears witness in both places. In addition to two or three witnesses in any court there can be any number of things shown to confirm the testimony of the persons who are witnesses in the case. So here in addition to the Three Persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost), the "water" and the "blood" confirm the witness of the Father and the Son, and the Holy Ghost, that Jesus was and is the Son of God with a flesh body to atone for sin and fully redeem man to the Father.

There are three witnesses and two things that witness in Heaven and Earth to His Sonship:
The Father (one person, who begat the Son),
The Word (the Son, who was begotten, John 1:1-2, 14, 18; 3:16-18),
The Holy Ghost (a third person who bares witness in both Heaven and Earth and who was the actual power of begetting, Luke 1:32-35; Matt. 1:18-25); t
The water (referring to the water baptism of Christ when witness was given to Him by the Father speaking of Him from Heaven and the Spirit from Heaven descending upon the Son, Matt.3:16-17; John 1:31-34; 1 John 5:6, 9), and the blood (which was shed to seal and witness the New Testament, Matt. 26:28).
The phrases "THESE THREE ARE ONE" and "THESE THREE AGREE IN ONE" mean the same thing as seen by like expressions in Scripture. In both cases the "THREE" are "ONE" in unity, or to one point; that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and not the Father or the Holy Ghost.
After over 15 years of studying the Bible to discredit the Bible I admit I failed?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Haz, as for the foundations of what I believe in, you nailed it. That and I've seen Abraham's birthplace. Lot's of pics, too (I was in Iraq - just sort of happened).

As for OCDO, wonderful sentiments forming the foundation of my beliefs, and I'm pretty dang sure that of 99% of our Founding Fathers.

In that I take great comfort, as they were exceptionally learned men. Not stupid. Their version of our new country was a unified whole, not some schizophrenic scatterbrained version full-strength in some areas while zero-strength in others.

Yeah, why do you think Islam hates us so much? Why do you think the U.S. is Islam's Enemy #1? Hint: It's not because we're a secular government, as they're are more than a hundred of those around our globe, and they could give a rat's ass about any of them.

It's because we were founded as, and remain, a predominantly Christian nation that they call for the death of not only our nation, but of every living non-convert to Islam withing our borders.

Sorry, Charlie - I'll never buy that tainted tuna from the Straight of Hormuz. I've not only been there, but I've swam there! The water SUCKS.

I've been all over the Middle East. Quite a place, tons, and I mean TONS of world history, including for Christians. I've literally walked through Abraham's house, and have the pics to prove it, and yes, THAT Abraham, as determined by the best archeologists of ancient history our world has ever seen in the last 1,800 years, so...

So please forgive me if I'm a little too opinionated on this thread.

Answer: No.

papa bear

When you go to church I think you should leave your gun in your car, locked in the trunk.

You will probably never need it.

And if you ever do, you will want to exit the church fast anyway, gun or no gun.

The Sikhs have a new problem -- all the nutjobs are confusing them with Arabs.

So the Sikhs need armed security, at least one guard, discretely armed, near the altar, to watch over the priests.[/QUOT

WHY?

papa bear

"Sold out his flock for pittance?" You sure do like the cliches. Another back-handed swipe at churches? At religion? At the believers?

Not all churches are the same. The firearms policy at my church is not a faith and religion discussion but a liberty discussion.

I will not speak to any other churches but my church is run by a committee of church members (Session) elected by the congregation and not the preacher. He preaches and we members run the church. He is a lib and he don't like guns, no big deal. He has no authority to deny anyone from carrying on church property. I told him explicitly that no guns = no money as a reminder to him as to who runs that church. Told him to keep his nose out of the business of the church where firearms are concerned and stick to preaching and doing preacher his work. Our preacher serves at the pleasure of the congregation. Preachers I suppose likely do have some obligation to be above the money thing but the Session is not the preacher are not so encumbered.

what preacher is head of the church is by the grace of God and his choice, weather the congregation wants them or not, and/or of course weather the pastor wants to be there or not
a church operating outside the will of the father will not last long

MKEgal

To the original question: no.
A reasonably well-done essay here, which touches on many topics surrounding self-defense.
http://www.biblicalselfdefense.com/

Either s/he forgot the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags, or is being a troll.
If the former, s/he would probably have been back to reassure people s/he isn't really an anti from CA.

MamabearCali

Jesus told his disciples to arm themselves when they went out. Luke 22:36. So I follow his advice. Evil exists, evil people exist, Jesus told us to be prepared.

nonameisgood

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Jack House

what preacher is head of the church is by the grace of God and his choice, weather the congregation wants them or not, and/or of course weather the pastor wants to be there or not
a church operating outside the will of the father will not last long
So then it's god's will for the WBC to exist? Is it God's will for a church to excommunicate an entire family because one of the daughters was repeatedly raped by a board member and they're scared of the political fallout? There are countless examples out there, these are just two churches that claim to worship God.