• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Street Guns

stainless1911

Banned
A conversation I had with a friend sparked a question Im not sure how to answer. What about street guns and registration? When a constitutionally correct gun is bought and sold person to person without papers, the phrase "it isn't registered" always comes up. When the registration process is kicked, how will these constitutionally correct street guns be tracked? What crimes will be prosecuted against the people who buy and sell them according to the constitution?

MKEgal

stainless1911 said:
What about street guns and registration?
Things bought & sold without gov't knowledge aren't registered, but can still be perfectly legal.
Suggest having simple sales paperwork to be kept by buyer & seller.

how will these constitutionally correct street guns be tracked?
They won't. If one shows up as used in a crime, LEO can track it to the last recorded purchase (through a dealer) or registration [ack-ptooey] by a private citizen, then it would be up to that last known purchaser to decide to give info on who bought the gun next, to help the police with their investigation.
Or not.

What crimes will be prosecuted against the people who buy and sell them according to the constitution?
Since it's legal, or would be once the state stops infringing the right, there wouldn't be any crime involved unless one of the purchasers was a prohibited person.
Good reason to know your purchaser & include on your paperwork "I'm selling this to her, and as far as I know she's not a prohibited person", and even "I'm buying this from him, and I'm not a prohibited person".
Probably nobody but the 2 of you will ever see it.
But if, somewhere down the line, it gets into the wrong hands, you'll be safe(r) from persecution.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
A conversation I had with a friend sparked a question Im not sure how to answer. What about street guns and registration? When a constitutionally correct gun is bought and sold person to person without papers, the phrase "it isn't registered" always comes up. When the registration process is kicked, how will these constitutionally correct street guns be tracked? What crimes will be prosecuted against the people who buy and sell them according to the constitution?

um, since most states don't have registrations i would say this is not really an issue. we live in a backwards racist state.
there is no rifle registration in michigan, are you aware of any issues with people being prosecuted for crimes committed with private party sold rifles?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I was wondering what the legalities were, and what arguments the antis would likely try to spin off those legalities.

It is my understanding then that a person to person handgun sale w/out paperwork would be completely legal. Same with inherited or gifted pistols?

This would also allow a non CPL holder to carry any handgun correct?

Last edited:

Raggs

I was wondering what the legalities were, and what arguments the antis would likely try to spin off those legalities.

It is my understanding then that a person to person handgun sale w/out paperwork would be completely legal. Same with inherited or gifted pistols?

This would also allow a non CPL holder to carry any handgun correct?

As an earlier post pointed out it could be risky to sell without some paperwork if only to protect one self if the gun was used in a criminal act. Just because it is legal doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

stainless1911

Banned
As an earlier post pointed out it could be risky to sell without some paperwork if only to protect one self if the gun was used in a criminal act. Just because it is legal doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

This is going to become a normal, regular and everyday thing, selling handguns to each other, just as rifles are today.

Last edited: