Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying out of norfolk with pistol. Need help.

Flying out of norfolk with pistol. Need help.

Well i will be taking a flight out of norfolk and would like to take my pistol with me. What is the proper presiders for doing so? Thanks for the help!! And does it add alot of time to do so?

This article may be some help:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...er-flying-gun/

TFred

There are very specific rules and procedures regarding checking and transporting a firearm and ammunition through an airline/airport. I highly suggest that you do your research before you even think about taking a trip with your gun. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Ok well it doesn't seem to hard.
    1. Make sure its unloaded.
    2. Make sure its in a good locked box.
    3. Make sure you declare it.
    4. Fill out the form
    5. Get on your flight.

So do i pretty much have it? Just want to make sure i do it with out a problem. Thanks for the help!

Founder's Club Member
    You've pretty much hit all that's needed. Check the website of the airline that you will be flying to ensure that they do not have any peculiar requirements to ensure you don't have any hiccups when you arrive. I've flown with my firearm and ammunition on many occasions and I've not ever had more than perhaps a 10 minute delay in the check-in process. Your luck may be different, but if you make sure you have plenty of time before your flight and follow the instructions provided by the TSA and your air carrier it should be nearly as smooth as checking your bags. Good luck!

Also just to be sure, take your magazines apart, because if you got double stack and you fly "over" a state with no magazines over 10 I think this is problem. Not sure, just for your safety.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Also just to be sure, take your magazines apart, because if you got double stack and you fly "over" a state with no magazines over 10 I think this is problem. Not sure, just for your safety.
    Your responses never cease to make my head hurt.

If you are flying through a s**thole like Detroit/Romulus or anywhere in NY and you find you will be detained, DO NOT ACCEPT your firearm. Call your attorney immediately.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by logan_zugg View Post
    4. Fill out the form
    5. Get on your flight.

So do i pretty much have it? Just want to make sure i do it with out a problem. Thanks for the help!
    I fly with mine all the time.. 2 weeks ago even out of Baltimore for the fist time.

I lock mine in a box (NOT with TSA locks!) and then I lock the BOX to the inside of my suitcase. One gate agent wanted me to put a red tag "UNLOADED FIREARM" INSIDE my box.. that's is wrong.. it goes on TOP of the box so the scanning tsa can see that the firearm has already been declared. Some check to see it is unloaded.. most don't.

My custom case was made at Dulles Case Center for about $100 bucks.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I bought a pelican case large enough to act as my suitcase and placed my pistol and ammo opposite sides of the case and locked it with hardened ABLOY locks. I had no issues going from Norfolk to Denver and back and they checked it in after I declared it. I did have to open it twice because the scanner wasn't clear enough for the TSA worker. You have to keep possession of the key to the lock and don't surrender it to anyone. TSA doesn't understand much of their own policy btw.

Check out this video: http://vimeo.com/3923535

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Just a question here.... what screams "STEAL ME" more to a potential thief.... a pelican case with NON-TSA locks on the outside of it, or a suitcase that looks like all the other suitcases around it?
    Yes you can use a pistol case locked inside your suitcase but you will have to open both to check in. It is also easier for someone to open your suitcase and remove the pistol case and shove it in a backpack though if they are rifling through suitcases. I figure the size of my pelican case (about the size of a medium suitcase) would be harder for someone to walk off with and not be noticed. I have thought about the fact that the non-TSA locks do flag it as a case that has something important/expensive inside. Since the only thing that is allowed to be locked in luggage like that are guns there is a good chance that people working in that area will correctly guess there is a gun inside.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Your luggage with the gun case will pop out
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    It is also easier for someone to open your suitcase and remove the pistol case and shove it in a backpack
    Which is why I also Cable lock my case to the inside FRAME of my suitcase.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

You were kidding, right?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Damn you 45acpForMe, you beat me to posting that video. He is one of my favorite speakers at defcon.

Carry on....

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    You were kidding, right?
    No, I heard of once a flight had a lay over or something and they landed in a state where 10+ round magazines wern't allowed, he had 15 rounds or something, and got arrested.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ToggleSwitch View Post
    Damn you 45acpForMe, you beat me to posting that video. He is one of my favorite speakers at defcon.

Carry on....
    I also liked this video concerning locks. :-) http://vimeo.com/31179906

He has a ton of videos on locks, including the gun safes one. TOOOL is a great organization. In-fact, he is the one that got me back into lock picking (as a hobby).

4. Fill out the form
    5. Get on your flight.

Pretty much nailed it. Never hurts to check with the airline you're using, though. And of course read the laws for the state you're traveling to. Safe travels!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

4. Fill out the form
    5. Get on your flight.

1.1 Ensure the person at the check in verifies it is unloaded. You'll most likely have to show the person. Probably preferable to have the lock installed on the gun itself as well.

2.1 A TSA approved flight box (preferably metal with full length hinge and two TSA approved locks that can't be easily pried open from the sides, pelican cases are good).

4.1 Lock the case back up with the form inside.
    4.2 Check in it with your regular baggage.

Just another note, ammo cannot travel in the same case as the weapon. But when I traveled, the ammo can be placed in regular baggage as long as it in the original packaging. Although rules on that may have changed. Best to buy ammo at you destination perhaps.

Anyway, that's the procedure I went through traveling to Texas with mine. Have a safe trip!
    Last edited by stickslinger; 08-22-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    2.1 A TSA approved flight box (preferably metal with full length hinge and two TSA approved locks that can't be easily pried open from the sides, pelican cases are good).

4.1 Lock the case back up with the form inside.
    4.2 Check in it with your regular baggage.

Just another note, ammo cannot travel in the same case as the weapon. But when I traveled, the ammo can be placed in regular baggage as long as it in the original packaging. Although rules on that may have changed. Best to buy ammo at you destination perhaps.
    @2.1: It is illegal to us TSA locks on bags with firearms as per:

Quote Originally Posted by Code of Fed Regs
    49 CFR 1540.111 (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49

---

@4.1: Make sure they don't afix any tags or stickers to the OUTSIDE of your bag saying that a firearm is in there. That is also illegal for them to do...

---

A note about the ammo in the same bag, as stated before, it is not against any federal law, but it is something that airlines may try to mess with you on.

Quote Originally Posted by Code of Fed Regs
    (d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49
    Last edited by ToggleSwitch; 08-23-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Re: Flying out of norfolk with pistol. Need help.

Okay, here's a question. I have a family member who was willed three pistols by her father who just passed. If they fit in one pistol case can she just use one case or does she have to go thru the hassle of having three different cases & locks?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

The OP had a simple question, the proper answer is to contact the carrier you are flying on. The requirements should also be listed on the airlines web site. Please remember you will have to do a manual check in at the gate. So please allow yourself enough time, which may vary depending on the airport you are flying out of.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Please remember you will have to do a manual check in at the gate.
    You will not.. you won't even get to the gate because you will be in jail if you try and take it thru security.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I fly with mine all the time.. 2 weeks ago even out of Baltimore for the fist time.

I lock mine in a box (NOT with TSA locks!) and then I lock the BOX to the inside of my suitcase. One gate agent wanted me to put a red tag "UNLOADED FIREARM" INSIDE my box.. that's is wrong.. it goes on TOP of the box so the scanning tsa can see that the firearm has already been declared. Some check to see it is unloaded.. most don't.

My custom case was made at Dulles Case Center for about $100 bucks.
    "tell them Ed sent you. They'll probably charge you more" LOL!

I like your case and the extra slots you put in it. It's my understanding any hard case pistol box will do for flying so I can use the manufacturers box or I can use a generic pistol box. Is that correct?
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

No, I heard of once a flight had a lay over or something and they landed in a state where 10+ round magazines wern't allowed, he had 15 rounds or something, and got arrested.
    If your plane is diverted, never claim a firearm from baggage in the land of the unfree. It isn't just magazines that can get you in trouble.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast