• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying out of norfolk with pistol. Need help.

logan_zugg

Well i will be taking a flight out of norfolk and would like to take my pistol with me. What is the proper presiders for doing so? Thanks for the help!! And does it add alot of time to do so?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
There are very specific rules and procedures regarding checking and transporting a firearm and ammunition through an airline/airport. I highly suggest that you do your research before you even think about taking a trip with your gun. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal experiences.

logan_zugg

Ok well it doesn't seem to hard.
1. Make sure its unloaded.
2. Make sure its in a good locked box.
3. Make sure you declare it.
4. Fill out the form
5. Get on your flight.

So do i pretty much have it? Just want to make sure i do it with out a problem. Thanks for the help!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
You've pretty much hit all that's needed. Check the website of the airline that you will be flying to ensure that they do not have any peculiar requirements to ensure you don't have any hiccups when you arrive. I've flown with my firearm and ammunition on many occasions and I've not ever had more than perhaps a 10 minute delay in the check-in process. Your luck may be different, but if you make sure you have plenty of time before your flight and follow the instructions provided by the TSA and your air carrier it should be nearly as smooth as checking your bags. Good luck!

wylde007

Also just to be sure, take your magazines apart, because if you got double stack and you fly "over" a state with no magazines over 10 I think this is problem. Not sure, just for your safety.
Your responses never cease to make my head hurt.

If you are flying through a s**thole like Detroit/Romulus or anywhere in NY and you find you will be detained, DO NOT ACCEPT your firearm. Call your attorney immediately.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
4. Fill out the form
5. Get on your flight.

So do i pretty much have it? Just want to make sure i do it with out a problem. Thanks for the help!

I fly with mine all the time.. 2 weeks ago even out of Baltimore for the fist time.

I lock mine in a box (NOT with TSA locks!) and then I lock the BOX to the inside of my suitcase. One gate agent wanted me to put a red tag "UNLOADED FIREARM" INSIDE my box.. that's is wrong.. it goes on TOP of the box so the scanning tsa can see that the firearm has already been declared. Some check to see it is unloaded.. most don't.

My custom case was made at Dulles Case Center for about $100 bucks.
[video=youtube;BCF8uKZSzN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCF8uKZSzN4[/video]

45acpForMe

I bought a pelican case large enough to act as my suitcase and placed my pistol and ammo opposite sides of the case and locked it with hardened ABLOY locks. I had no issues going from Norfolk to Denver and back and they checked it in after I declared it. I did have to open it twice because the scanner wasn't clear enough for the TSA worker. You have to keep possession of the key to the lock and don't surrender it to anyone. TSA doesn't understand much of their own policy btw.

Check out this video: http://vimeo.com/3923535

45acpForMe

Just a question here.... what screams "STEAL ME" more to a potential thief.... a pelican case with NON-TSA locks on the outside of it, or a suitcase that looks like all the other suitcases around it?

Yes you can use a pistol case locked inside your suitcase but you will have to open both to check in. It is also easier for someone to open your suitcase and remove the pistol case and shove it in a backpack though if they are rifling through suitcases. I figure the size of my pelican case (about the size of a medium suitcase) would be harder for someone to walk off with and not be noticed. I have thought about the fact that the non-TSA locks do flag it as a case that has something important/expensive inside. Since the only thing that is allowed to be locked in luggage like that are guns there is a good chance that people working in that area will correctly guess there is a gun inside.

ToggleSwitch

He has a ton of videos on locks, including the gun safes one. TOOOL is a great organization. In-fact, he is the one that got me back into lock picking (as a hobby).

MainelyGlock

4. Fill out the form
5. Get on your flight.

Pretty much nailed it. Never hurts to check with the airline you're using, though. And of course read the laws for the state you're traveling to. Safe travels!

stickslinger

4. Fill out the form
5. Get on your flight.

1.1 Ensure the person at the check in verifies it is unloaded. You'll most likely have to show the person. Probably preferable to have the lock installed on the gun itself as well.

2.1 A TSA approved flight box (preferably metal with full length hinge and two TSA approved locks that can't be easily pried open from the sides, pelican cases are good).

4.1 Lock the case back up with the form inside.
4.2 Check in it with your regular baggage.

Just another note, ammo cannot travel in the same case as the weapon. But when I traveled, the ammo can be placed in regular baggage as long as it in the original packaging. Although rules on that may have changed. Best to buy ammo at you destination perhaps.

Anyway, that's the procedure I went through traveling to Texas with mine. Have a safe trip!

Last edited:

ToggleSwitch

2.1 A TSA approved flight box (preferably metal with full length hinge and two TSA approved locks that can't be easily pried open from the sides, pelican cases are good).

4.1 Lock the case back up with the form inside.
4.2 Check in it with your regular baggage.

Just another note, ammo cannot travel in the same case as the weapon. But when I traveled, the ammo can be placed in regular baggage as long as it in the original packaging. Although rules on that may have changed. Best to buy ammo at you destination perhaps.

@2.1: It is illegal to us TSA locks on bags with firearms as per:

Code of Fed Regs said:
49 CFR 1540.111 (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.9.2.10.6&idno=49

---

@4.1: Make sure they don't afix any tags or stickers to the OUTSIDE of your bag saying that a firearm is in there. That is also illegal for them to do...

---

A note about the ammo in the same bag, as stated before, it is not against any federal law, but it is something that airlines may try to mess with you on.

Code of Fed Regs said:
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.9.2.10.6&idno=49

Last edited: