• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying out of norfolk with pistol. Need help.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Okay, here's a question. I have a family member who was willed three pistols by her father who just passed. If they fit in one pistol case can she just use one case or does she have to go thru the hassle of having three different cases & locks?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

kenny

The OP had a simple question, the proper answer is to contact the carrier you are flying on. The requirements should also be listed on the airlines web site. Please remember you will have to do a manual check in at the gate. So please allow yourself enough time, which may vary depending on the airport you are flying out of.

Steeler-gal

I fly with mine all the time.. 2 weeks ago even out of Baltimore for the fist time.

I lock mine in a box (NOT with TSA locks!) and then I lock the BOX to the inside of my suitcase. One gate agent wanted me to put a red tag "UNLOADED FIREARM" INSIDE my box.. that's is wrong.. it goes on TOP of the box so the scanning tsa can see that the firearm has already been declared. Some check to see it is unloaded.. most don't.

My custom case was made at Dulles Case Center for about $100 bucks.
[video=youtube;BCF8uKZSzN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCF8uKZSzN4[/video]

"tell them Ed sent you. They'll probably charge you more" LOL!

I like your case and the extra slots you put in it. It's my understanding any hard case pistol box will do for flying so I can use the manufacturers box or I can use a generic pistol box. Is that correct?

Thundar

No, I heard of once a flight had a lay over or something and they landed in a state where 10+ round magazines wern't allowed, he had 15 rounds or something, and got arrested.

If your plane is diverted, never claim a firearm from baggage in the land of the unfree. It isn't just magazines that can get you in trouble.

ToggleSwitch

Would the Interstate Firearms Transport regulations not cover this as well? So long as its not your final destination, I would think you would be alright.

45acpForMe

Would the Interstate Firearms Transport regulations not cover this as well? So long as its not your final destination, I would think you would be alright.

Well if they followed the law you might be correct but they tend to do what they want illegally/unconstitutionally. What part of "shall not be infringed" is confusing to them?

New York has prosecuted several people for having a gun, some at NYC airports and there is the famous layover case where they told him he had to take his luggage and stay overnight since he missed his flight and the powers that be arrested him when he tried to check the gun in the next morning.

The pot has boiled so slowly over the last 100 years that most people don't realize how tyranical the gubbermant has become. I am all for a reset!

ODA 226

Also just to be sure, take your magazines apart, because if you got double stack and you fly "over" a state with no magazines over 10 I think this is problem. Not sure, just for your safety.

Even if you did that, it would still constitute "Constructive Possession". Nice try though! LOL!

stickslinger

Just because you did it that way does not make it legal or the smartest way.

I don't reminder saying the airlines or TSA was smart :)

I was just noting the experience I had with the airlines, nor did I have a choice to do it my way in this case (they DID ask me to prove it was UNLOADED in front of everyone in line behind me, and the airlines required that ammo be carried separately).

Make sense now?

Steeler-gal

Once you get through the check-in process, does the gun box have to be laid on top of your suitcase on the inside or can you turn it and pack it in vertically inside your bag?

45acpForMe

Once you get through the check-in process, does the gun box have to be laid on top of your suitcase on the inside or can you turn it and pack it in vertically inside your bag?

I don't think it matters but they will scan the bag too and if they can't get a clear picture of what is in the bag they will ask you to open it up again. In my case The gun slid close to a can of mousse and my toiletries bag so they had me open the bag up again to look. After looking and moving the gun and locking it back up they scanned it again, go figure.

Sesrun

Last edited:

Sesrun

You know which airline HE flew? :question:

Well by the link I posted of 12 airlines' firearm/ammunition transportation requirements, and one of which no longer exists, only two require that ammunition be in a separate container/baggage from the firearms. Ten of those 11(still existing) airlines are also in the top 15 airlines (by number of passengers) within the United States. So one of those two airlines is a very good possibility of being the one he flew.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Well by the link I posted of 12 airlines' firearm/ammunition transportation requirements, and one of which no longer exists, only two require that ammunition be in a separate container/baggage from the firearms. Ten of those 11(still existing) airlines are also in the top 15 airlines (by number of passengers) within the United States. So one of those two airlines is a very good possibility of being the one he flew.
Well, that's because YOU looked at it logically.. This guy was posting so much BS I needed boots.. So I was expecting him to post his airline only to find out that he PROBABLY was not REQUIRED to keep them separately.. which would show that one more likes of his post was complete BS, but I greatly appreciate your coming to his defense.

stickslinger

which airline did you fly?

This whole thread has me in stitches. :)

But for all of the curious, the airlines was Southwest, flew back from Hobby Airport in Houston, TX to Dulles. I carried both my XD and .270 rifle and they wanted to verify that BOTH were unloaded. I had a box of .270 rounds I was going to put in the case with the rifle, the person checking me in said it would have to go into the suitcase I had as regular baggage. All of the items including regular luggage and gun cases were checked as regular baggage.

So, there we have it. That was over 2 years ago, policies may have changed with all or any of the airlines. Best advice I heard yet here is to CHECK WITH THE AIRLINES YOUR ARE FLYING WITH BEFOREHAND :)