Thread: Something I never thought of.

Something I never thought of.

In light of Las Vegas's rainy weather today a thought popped into my head. Does anyone change how they carry when it rains or snows?

Quote Originally Posted by desertborn View Post
    In light of Las Vegas's rainy weather today a thought popped into my head. Does anyone change how they carry when it rains or snows?
    AAAAAAAAh rust! NOPE, but I will do what i can to stay out of the rain as I do not have a CCW covering is not even an option
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

Yep, put a coat or a slicker on. No change in the gun or gear.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

I've got 1 1/4" so far today at the house and its still raining. I'm staying inside cuz I might rust!

I carry stainless steel, might be a product of my Seattle roots.

Rain? Ah, that's what that stuff is...

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Get a CCW for these instances or just use WD-40 when you get home

No. Do not use wd40 on your gun. That is the absolute worst thing you could use. It removes oils and causes metal to rust and become unlubricated. If it has petroleum distillates in it, it is a degreaser. Please research wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneckreed View Post
    No. Do not use wd40 on your gun. That is the absolute worst thing you could use. It removes oils and causes metal to rust and become unlubricated. If it has petroleum distillates in it, it is a degreaser. Please research wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hold on there just a sec partner... that ain't quite right. WD40 is a water displacer (that's what the WD in WD40 is short for). It neither "removes oils," nor "causes metal to rust." It does what it does... displaces water. It is not, however, a metal protector. Once you've used WD40 on your gun to displace all the water, I would recommend you wipe off all of it and replace it with a light coat of gun oil. A good quality gun oil contains the rust inhibitors that will protect the metal. Simply saying one shouldn't use WD40 on their gun isn't the "whole story," I'm afraid. Use it... it won't hurt the gun and certainly will remove the rain water.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcmustang View Post
    ...A good quality gun oil contains the rust inhibitors that will protect the metal...
    This is actually what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

I come from the land of snow and rain and never had problems with a rusty gun. Mind you we don't carry handguns in Canada but hunting with long guns is common. Also, my grandfather, father and uncle were all cops and with daily carry never had issues with rust.

I did refinish a couple that had surface rust on the barrels but they had sat for some time and were not maintained.

If your gun is well maintained you won't have issues with rust.
    Last edited by jdholmes; 08-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.

If it is heavy rain probably a little nail polish on the primers may not be a bad idea.

Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I can't open carry.

Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I can't open carry.
    Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I (can't) don't want to open carry.

fixed it for ya
    remove handgun registration in Clark County,NV

2nd amendment in modern English: The people have the right to own and carry firearms, and it may not be violated because a well-equipped Militia is necessary for a State to remain secure and free.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    secret weapon. Umbrella.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

when your firearm gets wet due to rainy weather, you need to take it down and give it some PMCS. Generally, a wipe down and light coat of CLP is sufficient to prevent rust. Rust forms slowly, and if you're maintaining your firearm regularly it shouldn't accumulate anyway. Water doesn't cause rust, Oxygen reacting with Fe(III) does.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 08-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com