• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something I never thought of.

desertborn

In light of Las Vegas's rainy weather today a thought popped into my head. Does anyone change how they carry when it rains or snows?

Frantic84

In light of Las Vegas's rainy weather today a thought popped into my head. Does anyone change how they carry when it rains or snows?

AAAAAAAAh rust! :banana: NOPE, but I will do what i can to stay out of the rain as I do not have a CCW covering is not even an option

Lasjayhawk

I've got 1 1/4" so far today at the house and its still raining. I'm staying inside cuz I might rust! :lol:

Rollbar

Get a CCW for these instances or just use WD-40 when you get home :shocker: :idea:

Roughneckreed

No. Do not use wd40 on your gun. That is the absolute worst thing you could use. It removes oils and causes metal to rust and become unlubricated. If it has petroleum distillates in it, it is a degreaser. Please research wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcmustang

No. Do not use wd40 on your gun. That is the absolute worst thing you could use. It removes oils and causes metal to rust and become unlubricated. If it has petroleum distillates in it, it is a degreaser. Please research wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold on there just a sec partner... that ain't quite right. WD40 is a water displacer (that's what the WD in WD40 is short for). It neither "removes oils," nor "causes metal to rust." It does what it does... displaces water. It is not, however, a metal protector. Once you've used WD40 on your gun to displace all the water, I would recommend you wipe off all of it and replace it with a light coat of gun oil. A good quality gun oil contains the rust inhibitors that will protect the metal. Simply saying one shouldn't use WD40 on their gun isn't the "whole story," I'm afraid. Use it... it won't hurt the gun and certainly will remove the rain water.

jdholmes

...A good quality gun oil contains the rust inhibitors that will protect the metal...

This is actually what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

I come from the land of snow and rain and never had problems with a rusty gun. Mind you we don't carry handguns in Canada but hunting with long guns is common. Also, my grandfather, father and uncle were all cops and with daily carry never had issues with rust.

I did refinish a couple that had surface rust on the barrels but they had sat for some time and were not maintained.

If your gun is well maintained you won't have issues with rust.

Last edited:

desertborn

Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I can't open carry.

Frantic84

Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I can't open carry.

Thanks for the replies! I am currently waiting on my ccw for instances like this and the few places I (can't) don't want to open carry.

fixed it for ya

Nevada carrier

when your firearm gets wet due to rainy weather, you need to take it down and give it some PMCS. Generally, a wipe down and light coat of CLP is sufficient to prevent rust. Rust forms slowly, and if you're maintaining your firearm regularly it shouldn't accumulate anyway. Water doesn't cause rust, Oxygen reacting with Fe(III) does.

Last edited: