• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Bar areas" of restaurants and guns

flb_78

There's a cuss and discuss over on the ar15 board and it's being said that a gun can not be carried in the "bar area" of a restaurant, such as TGI Fridays, Chili's, Applebee's, etc....

I do not believe that is correct since the entire establishment is licensed to serve alcohol but the business makes more from the food than the alcohol.

I don't see why it matters if one sits at the "bar" or at a table 5 feet away.

Maybe Im wrong and will be educated.

09jisaac

Maybe Im wrong and will be educated.

Maybe

This is where they get that from:

244.125 Prohibition against possession of loaded firearm in room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, no person shall be in possession of a loaded, as defined in KRS 237.060, firearm while actually within the room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink of a building on premises licensed to sell distilled spirits and wine at retail by the drink for consumption on the licensed premises pursuant to KRS Chapter 243.

But the law continues to say this:
(3) This section shall not apply to a bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty (50) persons and which receives less than fifty percent (50%) of its annual food and beverage income from the dining facilities by the sale of alcohol.

So basically if it is a pool hall you cannot carry into the bar section, if it is a restaurant then you can. Just my opinion.

hotrod

Maybe

This is where they get that from:

But the law continues to say this:

So basically if it is a pool hall you cannot carry into the bar section, if it is a restaurant then you can. Just my opinion.

Exactly mine too! It has been discussed Ad nauseam on other threads.

flb_78

You guys don't have to beat me up for asking a question. :(

You'll hurt my feeling...

Actually, I haven't seen any threads to my exact question about sitting in the bar area of an eatery.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If any of the subjects discussing this issue on the other forum can read it should be rather simple for them to understand. The law specifically states that the provision DOES NOT apply to a bona fide restaraunt that has seating for at least 50 and derives over 50% of its income from food sales. Straight forward and to the point. Point them to this forum if they believe otherwise and we will give them a little education!

They must be the neanderthal type!

You should post this and it SHOULD clear everything up; it's hard to argue with the law itself:

(3) This section shall not apply to a bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty (50) persons and which receives less than fifty percent (50%) of its annual food and beverage income from the dining facilities by the sale of alcohol.

Last edited: