Thread: Alamo Drafthouse (Winchester)

Alamo Drafthouse (Winchester)

The Alamo Drafthouse off of I-81 exit 310 just went open carry only. I'm not sure when, haven't seen them before, but they have signs posted no concealed carry. Might be a good venue for an open carry event.

For those of you wondering what the Alamo Drafthouse is, it's a movie theater that serves food and alcohol while you watch the movie.

state law requires you to open carry in an establishment that sells booze for onsite consumption (ie resturant or bar).

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptstoney View Post
    state law requires you to open carry in an establishment that sells booze for onsite consumption (ie resturant or bar).
    Who told you that?

You're two years out of date. We fixed that in 2010.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    You may want to come and take this class - http://proactiveshooters.com/general...d-carry-in-va/

It will help you stay a bit more current on the laws...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Who told you that?
    ocholsteroc

...just kidding. I like ocholsteroc (young folks carrying are great for our future), but have to razz the young fella for some of his "law" posts!

Let me help with a cite which was missing from the above the law is this, no it isn't we fixed it... so here:

18.2 308
    J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Who told you that?
    I am betting "a cop"
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Let me help with a cite which was missing from the above the law is this, no it isn't we fixed it... so here:

18.2 308
    J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
    Ok, let me clarify for my own piece of mind. I live across the line in Martinsburg and quite often go down to Winchester for a bite to eat or shopping..what have you. So, if I go to Olive Garden as I am frequently wont to do but do not consume adult beverages, I can remain CC, is that correct? However, if I desired to do so and consume an adult beverage while at Olive Garden, then I would have to tuck my shirt behind my gun thus making it fully in the open? BTW, like driving, I don't drink and carry either.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I am betting "a cop"
    Probably...It's the right area for the wrong information!

Quote Originally Posted by boutaswell View Post
    Ok, let me clarify for my own piece of mind. I live across the line in Martinsburg and quite often go down to Winchester for a bite to eat or shopping..what have you. So, if I go to Olive Garden as I am frequently wont to do but do not consume adult beverages, I can remain CC, is that correct? However, if I desired to do so and consume an adult beverage while at Olive Garden, then I would have to tuck my shirt behind my gun thus making it fully in the open? BTW, like driving, I don't drink and carry either.
    That is correct!

Who told you that?
    The more important question would probably be, "When did you hear that?"

TFred

All seriousness aside... it's a completely legitimate area to be confused about, because in the two years it's been fixed there haven't been any drunken brawl-type shoot-outs in the "Olive Gardens" of the state. No news reports obviously means the law still forbids CC in a restaurant.

TFred

Just to clarify
    • You can OC at the Alamo, but out of respect (or law?), you cannot CCW?
    • Secondly, in VA, if you CCW into a private business such as the Alamo that asks for no CCW, and are found out, what is the legal consequence?

Thank you!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Adenosine View Post
    Just to clarify
    • You can OC at the Alamo, but out of respect (or law?), you cannot CCW?
    • Secondly, in VA, if you CCW into a private business such as the Alamo that asks for no CCW, and are found out, what is the legal consequence?

Thank you!
    "Secondly, in VA, if you CCW into a private business such as the Alamo that asks for no CCW, and are found out, what is the legal consequence?"

None, unless you are asked to leave and refuse to do so, causing the manager or proprietor to summon the police to charge you with trespassing.

For example, suppose one of you neighbors was a jeweler and had a No Guns sign posted which you ignored and entered anyway. He, seeing it was you, told you, "That's alright, don't let the sign bother you. You can come on in".
    His choice because he owns the business.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

That's what I thought, the law just states:
    "O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property. " - End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    ocholsteroc

...just kidding. I like ocholsteroc (young folks carrying are great for our future), but have to razz the young fella for some of his "law" posts!

Think you can make fun of me behind my back? I got eyes in the back of my head.
    Sadly I won't be making it to lobby day this year.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?