• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How has OpenCarry changed you?

SeattleWingsfan

May seem strange but I just wanted to share.

Several years ago I was test driving a car trying to simulate a throttle issue. Bad hesitation above 50 percent throttle between 15-25 MPH. I was driving up and down the street infront of my shop trying to duplicate it. All the sudden light come flying down a side street I am stopped at a stop sign. I wait there figureing something is going on and they are going to fly through the intersection. Police car slams on brakes two cops roll out of the car. Young guy out of the car with gun drawn and by his side. I'm kind of panicing. Older guy in green jump suit looking outfit on other side very calm. Young guy orders me out of car. I get out follow orders with hands on car and him going through pockets asking about weapons. I didn't have a gun on me, but had a Small money clip pocket knife. All my stuff is on the trunk of the subaru. I got yelled at for driving dangerously, granted all they saw was me stopped at a stop sign. I said Sir I have been driving for 15 minutes all less than the posted 35 MPH I own a performance shop and am troubleshooting a car, scan tool hooked up, work order on seat. Took them 45 minutes to run my ID and do whatever else they where doing. Jump suit guy was cool, asked about tuning cars and what not as this customers car was 600HP with gauges and everything very non discreet. I was told they had two 911 calls about a maniac driving up and down the streets in a blue car and was going to kill somone. Young cop came back. I was told to do my test drives on the Expressway, I asked how that was safe to drive under 30 on the highway they said it was safer than a city street. I told them at no point was I driving crazy and I have datalogs on my scan tool that have all my driving data on it since I left the shop. I was handed back all my stuff in my hat which he took off. I was told that he would be checking with the procecuter about filing wreckless driving charges. As I settled in to the car to drive off and was putting my License in my wallet I notice the cash is loose in my hat and my knife money clip was missing. I look up and they are already gone. I called to the lakewood station an hour later to complain, but this was before I started open carrying and was on here. Never occured to look at badge names or car numbers. a couple days later the cop came to my shop while I was out front. He rolled down his window and said that he talked to the procecuter and they said it wasn't worth there time. He told me to drive slower and to tell my customers to be more cautious as well. When I asked about the money clip, he said he didn't remember one. I wasn't going to accuse him of stealing.

I had only been pulled over a few times before. tail light out, speeding 10 over. But nothing like that occurance. That stop made me think alot over the next year about not liking being in that type of a on edge police involvement. I'm sure the fact I carry a gun all the time now would have made this stop escalate even more, but with my better knowledge of laws, and confidece in dealing with LEOs, and reading others stories on here. I feel I could have better handled it, and had it happened today I'd still have my money clip.

waterfowl woody

long story. sorry didn't read it, except the end. glad you and your money clip are tighter now for some reason?

Oh ya, the only thing that has changed is the couple pounds on my belt.

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

lol well I am sure alot won't. I think the long windedness has rubbed off on me from my GF. She always tells a two hour story about simple things like finding a particular item at walmart. I just wanted to share my experience. I think opencarry and well the movement for me has helped me not be a sheeple. Before this site I would not have been so comfortable walking around with a gun showing. I have always been into guns and had them growing up on a farm. This site and the meetings and stories and experiences have made me more aware of what to do should something happen. Even though I am not a criminal, I was still always uneasy about carrying a gun on me.

And I guess I shared my story because I like how eventhough there was no gun involved in that LEO encounter. The knowledge learned on this site has changed how that situation would have went down today.

Future posts to be more streamlined. ;)

Freedom1Man

It's caused me to learn the laws and be more confident in my actions.

It's also caused more police encounters, I generally don't like police, love my freedom more than I dislike police though.

hermannr

Other than keeping up with that moving target called the legislature, and teh laws they change...not much..but then I've been Ocing for over 40 years.

Fallschirjmäger

My acne cleared up, my breath is minty fresh and the dog stopped humping my leg.
evilgrin.gif

I've also become Much more conversant in the law, both what it prohibits and what it is silent on.

amlevin

No change at all here. Been doing what I've been doing for about as long as Hermannr, give or take.

I just go about my business. I must lead a boring life 'cause I don't seem to run into near as many cops as some here do ;);)

07Altima

what has changed

I learned the real laws not the BS that people keep telling me, shoot even found that my dad is full of crap,

pissed off parts of my family but they can just deal with it. My rights are not going away because I wear it, they will go away if I hide in a closet like my family has.

I have also learned that the size of firearm has very little to do with peoples reactions, Also I am more popular since random strangers say things like thanks for doing that.

I get very little bs the worst I have had is a dirty look. I am free now, I have a liberty like I Have never known before. "A RIGHT TO DEFEND MYSELF"

My RJ will help ensure I am never a victim again!