Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event (I. Can't. Wait)

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event (I. Can't. Wait)

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...382#f30914b83c
    Detroit — The local Catholic Church and the Detroit Police Department are sponsoring a gun buy-back program next week in hopes of making a dent in a rash of shootings in the city, Archdiocese of Detroit and police officials said Wednesday.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz24Jls0Rbe
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

...of course they're holding it on a day and time that most people are at work.

Lansing paid a lot more money.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

a fool and his money

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Re: Detroit police,

For those that go and have not been to one of those buy backs before - make sure you are on public property ie sidewalk near the entrance, but not blocking it in any way. DPD has been hostile to us in the past so do not give them any way to trip you up.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event (I. Can't. Wait)

Rick Ector is organizing an event on Facebook. I've already passed some tips on to him.
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-23-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Re: Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Rick Ector is organizing an event on Facebook. I've already passed some tips on to him.
    Well done. I hope many useful guns are put back into the hands of law abiding citizens.

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Cant wait to go and get some deals!

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    ...of course they're holding it on a day and time that most people are at work.
    I would imagine the element they're trying to attract don't have jobs, anyway...

[YAY! First post!]

Quote Originally Posted by Mahnarch View Post
    I would imagine the element they're trying to attract don't have jobs, anyway...

[YAY! First post!]
    The type they are trying to attract need those guns for their 'jobs'...

Welcome to OCDO Mahnarch.

My advice is: do not carry concealed.

Cc = required to produce id upon request.

I think I am going to this. I am hopeful that with rick ector being there perhaps dpd will be a bit more dosile than the last citizen disarming I went to.

It is a voluntary disarming of the populace, it is NOT a buyback, as they would have to own the guns previously in order to buy them back.
    Last edited by lapeer20m; 08-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

i was thinking the same thing about open carry only, lapeer. the other issue will be that if you intend to buy a pistol you have to have a CPL, but i know of no disclosure law regarding that. that should be between you and the seller only.
    i also agree about it not being a "buyback" just like celebrities donating is not "giving back" unless they took something in the first place.

I'm in. Just so you know Dean already agreed to bunk with me if we get arrested...so I got dibs on the lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I'm in. Just so you know Dean already agreed to bunk with me if we get arrested...so I got dibs on the lawyer.
    Given the size difference, I'd say you'd be the b*tch.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    dean greenblatt? he's going to be there?

I'd like to attend, but again I have scheduling issues, if it were a couple hours later I could do it.

If anyone would care to be generous though, and keep an eye out for toys I might like.....

It's in full swing. I already turned in a junker yugo sks and got a Benjamin for it.

Ammo money!
    The open carry guys that were there got hassled at first. Looked like mostly my church personnel. The police may have gone over at first but when they realized our guys weren't backing down the police backed down. They asserted their right to be on sidewalks and they were left alone. I was watching from across the street. So I'm sure you'll get better first hand accounts from the guys that were there.
    At point it looked like a priest was heading across the street to confront our group and that he was actually held back by the police. I had to leave and go to work but there were a few private party sales that took place around the corner but not many. It did look like we were getting a lot of media coverage though so at least people will be educated.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 08-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.

"Protest Disrupts Detroit Gun Buyback Effort"

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...uyback-effort/
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

"Gun carry advocates protest Detroit weapon buyback"

http://www.freep.com/article/2012083...weapon-buyback
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

"Gun rights advocates try to pre-empt buyback program"

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-buyback-today

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    "Protest Disrupts Detroit Gun Buyback Effort"

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...uyback-effort/
    What a biased one-sided story. Nobody went to disrupt, they went to keep arms in the hands of lawful citizens instead of just the police and criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    What a biased one-sided story. Nobody went to disrupt, they went to keep arms in the hands of lawful citizens instead of just the police and criminals.

Wouldn't the folks there standing in line waiting to cash-in on their firearm(s) in hand be considered "gun-toting enthusiasts?"

Again more bias...

Is that an orange tip on the gun in the photo!?!?

By the time we left near noon, the group of mostly open carriers had purchased about 10% of the guns.

Reporter in scene told me they had collected by 11am
    69 handguns
    4 assault rifles
    43 long guns.*

We had purchased approximately 10 firearms at that point. The two of us who rode together bought 4 of them.

I passed on one of the "assault rifles" as it was a .22 with 30 round mag.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast