• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event (I. Can't. Wait)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Re: Detroit police,

For those that go and have not been to one of those buy backs before - make sure you are on public property ie sidewalk near the entrance, but not blocking it in any way. DPD has been hostile to us in the past so do not give them any way to trip you up. :(

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

TheQ

Rick Ector is organizing an event on Facebook. I've already passed some tips on to him.

Last edited:

Mahnarch

...of course they're holding it on a day and time that most people are at work. :banghead::cuss::mad:

I would imagine the element they're trying to attract don't have jobs, anyway...
emot-munch.gif

[YAY! First post!]

lapeer20m

My advice is: do not carry concealed.

Cc = required to produce id upon request.

I think I am going to this. I am hopeful that with rick ector being there perhaps dpd will be a bit more dosile than the last citizen disarming I went to.

It is a voluntary disarming of the populace, it is NOT a buyback, as they would have to own the guns previously in order to buy them back.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i was thinking the same thing about open carry only, lapeer. the other issue will be that if you intend to buy a pistol you have to have a CPL, but i know of no disclosure law regarding that. that should be between you and the seller only.
i also agree about it not being a "buyback" just like celebrities donating is not "giving back" unless they took something in the first place.

Small_Arms_Collector

I'd like to attend, but again I have scheduling issues, if it were a couple hours later I could do it.:mad::cuss:

If anyone would care to be generous though, and keep an eye out for toys I might like.....:cool:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
It's in full swing. I already turned in a junker yugo sks and got a Benjamin for it.
:eek::p
Ammo money!
The open carry guys that were there got hassled at first. Looked like mostly my church personnel. The police may have gone over at first but when they realized our guys weren't backing down the police backed down. They asserted their right to be on sidewalks and they were left alone. I was watching from across the street. So I'm sure you'll get better first hand accounts from the guys that were there.
At point it looked like a priest was heading across the street to confront our group and that he was actually held back by the police. I had to leave and go to work but there were a few private party sales that took place around the corner but not many. It did look like we were getting a lot of media coverage though so at least people will be educated.

Last edited: