• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit police, Catholic archdiocese team up for gun buy-back event (I. Can't. Wait)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

SpringerXDacp

What a biased one-sided story. Nobody went to disrupt, they went to keep arms in the hands of lawful citizens instead of just the police and criminals. :banghead:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Wouldn't the folks there standing in line waiting to cash-in on their firearm(s) in hand be considered "gun-toting enthusiasts?" :banghead:

lapeer20m

By the time we left near noon, the group of mostly open carriers had purchased about 10% of the guns.

Reporter in scene told me they had collected by 11am
69 handguns
4 assault rifles
43 long guns.*

We had purchased approximately 10 firearms at that point. The two of us who rode together bought 4 of them.

I passed on one of the "assault rifles" as it was a .22 with 30 round mag.

Raggs

OK, I dont see it. As a protest this sucked. No one yelling, no obnoxious signs, just good law abiding folks legally purchasing firearms. What did I miss
I don't necessarily think that "gun buybacks" are evil as someone is quoted as saying, but they do see rather pointless. just my $.02

lapeer20m

By the time we left near noon, the group of mostly open carriers had purchased about 10% of the guns.

Reporter in scene told me they had collected by 11am
69 handguns
4 assault rifles
43 long guns.*

We had purchased approximately 10 firearms at that point. The two of us who rode together bought 4 of them.

I passed on one of the "assault rifles" as it was a .22 with 30 round mag.

The two of us collected a mouser, a semi auto 12 gauge, a rough looking 20 gauge Mossberg bolt action, and a rough looking .22 semi auto also a Mossberg. I was specifically looking for a junk .22 to use around the farm.

DanM

I don't necessarily think that "gun buybacks" are evil as someone is quoted as saying, but they do see rather pointless.

Let me make the connections for you:

1)Gun buy-backs, all of them, have as their premise the message "there's no such thing as a gun being useful in the hands of good people, so turn them in". Such a message is an anti-gunner's message, because only anti-gunners believe it and say it. Anti-gun ideology is evil. Therefore gun buy-backs are evil.

2)Many gun buy-backs also imply or are explicit that they'll reduce crime perpetrated with guns. This is essentially blaming guns as the cause of crime, instead of blaming the true causes of crime. That is also anti-gunner ideology. Anti-gun ideology is evil. Therefore, gun buy-backs are evil.

3)Gun buy-backs, to the extent they take functioning firearms out of circulation among law-abiding people, decrease a community's lawful self-defense capability opposing violent criminals, who remain constant or growing along with their capability to perpetrate their crimes. Decreasing a community's self-defense capability, by the numerous false ruses gun buy-backs employ, is evil. Therefore, gun buy-backs are evil.

Gun buy-backs are beyond pointless. They are evil and dangerous, in the final analysis, to their community.

Raggs

1)Gun buy-backs, all of them, have as their premise the message "there's no such thing as a gun being useful in the hands of good people, so turn them in". Such a message is an anti-gunner's message, because only anti-gunners believe it and say it. Anti-gun ideology is evil. Therefore gun buy-backs are evil.

2)Many gun buy-backs also imply or are explicit that they'll reduce crime perpetrated with guns. This is essentially blaming guns as the cause of crime, instead of blaming the true causes of crime. That is also anti-gunner ideology. Anti-gun ideology is evil. Therefore, gun buy-backs are evil.

3)Gun buy-backs, to the extent they take functioning firearms out of circulation among law-abiding people, decrease a community's lawful self-defense capability opposing violent criminals, who remain constant or growing along with their capability to perpetrate their crimes. Decreasing a community's self-defense capability, by the numerous false ruses gun buy-backs employ, is evil. Therefore, gun buy-backs are evil.

Gun buy-backs are beyond pointless. They are evil and dangerous, in the final analysis, to their community.

1. So the premise is wrong, I don't agree that anti gun is evil.

2. I don't recall this one implying that it would reduce crime.

3. The buybacks aren't "taking" them out of the hands of law abiding citizens, They are taling the guns out of the hands of people who don't want them, which is not evil.

No one is forced to do anything at the gun buyback, don't want to sell them your guns, don't, Choice is a great thing.

DanM

--Edited to be more polite. :)

1. So the premise is wrong, I don't agree that anti gun is evil.

Guess you and I part ways here. It is my world-view that anti-gun ideology is evil. I look at history and see the documented results of anti-gun ideology that succeeded in various societies and countries, and I see many, many examples of the pure evil it spawned. Sorry, the lessons of history do not support your opinion that anti-gun ideology is NOT evil. Do I really have to name all the quite familiar names by now of countries, societies, genocidal events, etc. that are the poster children for the evil that anti-gun ideology gave rise to? Are you really not familiar with the history that is discussed so often among gun-rights advocates?

2. I don't recall this one implying that it would reduce crime.

You, sir, are coming off as unaware of the reporting on this:

"The buyback . . . was organized . . . in cooperation with . . . the nonprofit group Crime Stoppers."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/detroit-gun-buyback-police-activists-rights_n_1844377.html

"(Detroit Police Sgt. Eren) Stephens said the gun buyback event is just one of the department's "tools" to help reduce crime."
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2012/08/gun_advocates_offer_to_outbid.html

"In an effort to combat violence in Detroit, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit teamed up with police to take dangerous weapons off the street . . . (Detroit Bishop Donald Hanchon said,) “. . . we can do something to change the bad news.”
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/30/protest-disrupts-detroit-gun-buyback-effort/

And so on . . .

3. The buybacks aren't "taking" them out of the hands of law abiding citizens, They are taling the guns out of the hands of people who don't want them, which is not evil.

No one is forced to do anything at the gun buyback, don't want to sell them your guns, don't, Choice is a great thing.

Giving someone "choice" in light of objective and truthful information on the outcomes of alternatives is ethical. Giving someone a "choice" and allowing them to "choose" to do something, while intentionally feeding them complete misinformation and false expected results of the alternative choices, is completely unethical. That is evil.

Last edited:

CornfedinOhio

I think having a place for guns to go for people that don't want them is a positive. If they don't want them it's usually due to an inability to secure, use or care for the firearm. So let's get them away from the people that don't want the responsibility.
Police dept good place
Gun shop good place
Law abiding citizen good place.
Almost any where is better than the irresponsible owner that most certainly could allow the guns to get into the wrong hands.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think having a place for guns to go for people that don't want them is a positive. If they don't want them it's usually due to an inability to secure, use or care for the firearm. So let's get them away from the people that don't want the responsibility.
Police dept good place
Gun shop good place
Law abiding citizen good place.
Almost any where is better than the irresponsible owner that most certainly could allow the guns to get into the wrong hands.

Gun shops don't use tax dollars to buy guns or make claims of stopping crime. Do back ground checks and ask questions about where the gun came from, to reduce a possible stolen gun.

LAC same as gun shops

POLICE department;use tax dollars, pardon criminal activity-ask no questions, make outrageous claims of reducing crimes. Make claims for political benefits. Pander to the anti-gun crowd.

kubel

Can anyone shed some light on the allegation that guns were mishandled by your group?